Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

First and foremost I have done some research however I couldn't get the right answer I was looking for.

I am looking to pick up some new wheels and they come in the following two spec's I am interested in;

18x9.5 + 27
18x9.5 + 40

I am prepared to put some elbow grease into this set-up as running a 9.5" width will require rolling, etc.

First and foremost will, 18x9.5 +40 even work? or will the wheel end up hitting the strut tower, zero clearance?

So does that mean 18x9.5 +27 is the set-up that's going to work better on the TSX...I was also planning on running: 215/40/18 series tires something with a softer side-wall for a decent stretch.

I also have a camber kit in the rear ready to rock! and I have, one of two BNIB ingalls front ball joint camber kits for the TSX I would need to purchase another one if I would need to use these for this set up...do you think I would need to dial camber in the front though?

Is the use of a camber kit in the front necessary?

Again lots of questions and I would GREATLY appreciate any responses you guys have.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
+40 will work if you don't plan on running excessive camber. My last setup was 9.5 +38 with -1.5 camber and clearance was fine (rear). The more camber you plan on running the lower you need your offset to be.

On that note, I'd go with the +27 just b/c thats an extra 3/4" of lip :D. No front camber kit needed. I dont know what the guys at big O tires do, but they're able to adjust my front camber by just shifting something. I don't know exactly what it is, but he says you can only do it on TSX's and accords

·
Registered
360 Posts
+40 will work if you don't plan on running excessive camber. My last setup was 9.5 +38 with -1.5 camber and clearance was fine (rear). The more camber you plan on running the lower you need your offset to be.

On that note, I'd go with the +27 just b/c thats an extra 3/4" of lip :D. No front camber kit needed. I dont know what the guys at big O tires do, but they're able to adjust my front camber by just shifting something. I don't know exactly what it is, but he says you can only do it on TSX's and accords

Do you have your liners shaved, and if so, how much of it? I don't rub fender, but the sound of the liner being scraped... not fun.

·
I <3 My CL9
1,492 Posts
IMO get +27 it will look nicer especially with the stretch tire. But it will require work, ask oneup what he did(its totally worth it) Also, if you do plan on having a front camber kit for better adjustability I would suggest selling the ball joint ones and getting the spoon or skunk2 front camber kit.

And btw my specs are 18x8.5+27 with a 225/40/18 tire with ~half a finger gap and I def had to run negative camber up front(~-2.5 to get up my driveway smh) and I also had to cut some of the rear fender liner and remove that screw that attaches fender to the rear bumper. But don't worry even without that one screw the bumper will not go anywhere. GL and post up pics when your done.

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a recent picture of my car on 18x8 +46, the only issue with my car however is the rear can not be adjusted my buddy club rear lower collar's have seized so pretty much the height you see in the picture is as low as its going to go in the rear, front is still fully adjustable.

Not the greatest picture but the only picture I could find, rest are on memory cards somewhere;

In this situation would +27 offset look weird since I'am not going to be as low as Oneup.

Would +40 look better? since if I am not as low as TSXuser the wheel would look more of a flush look with rear quarter, less camber, dialed in.

I am so torn guys! PLEASE HELP

also what tire size is TSXuser running?

·
6,942 Posts
My rear fender liners are removed, fenders are rolled shaved and pulled

This isn't a good picture but heres 19x9.5 +38 on 225/40/19 with -1.5 camber

Heres 19x9.5 +35 with -2.5 camber

(rears)

What rims are you looking into?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey OP just saw your pm, well if your collar is stuck and you cant lower it any lower then I think the +40 is the better choice. Also if you get the +40 offset you should run 225/40 instead of 215/40 cause you wont need as much clearence as the +27. As for my front I wanted to have minimal pull as possible. I think i only pulled the front by 3mm. Here is a pic of what 215/40 looks like on a 9.5, I also have to get my rear a tad more camber soon, also I am running a 10mm spacer in the rear to make it poke evenly with the front

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight; wong05tsx, BluLabelCL9, pjotsx & last but not least Oneup + REP has been distributed.

I think after viewing the pictures and information provided, also taking into consideration my seized rear buddy club collars at this point it would make more sense going with the 18x9.5 +40 set up.

with a 225/40/18 series tire as advised! I came to this decision as I would prefer not to pull at all if possible and get away with just rolling if I can.

Lastly if I feel its still not flush enough maybe dialing in some camber + using spacers to offset would be more safer at this point!

Thank's once again guys you've been awesome.

·
6,942 Posts
Keep in mind tire brand/models do make a difference in sizing. Here's a list, try to stick with tires that run small or true to size. If you were to go with one that runs large, I'd go a size smaller

SMALL:
Falken ST115
Falken ZE-512
Falken FK451 (D)
Fuzion ZRi
Venezia Crusade
Nankang NS-II

TRUE:
Nitto 555 Extreme
Michelin Pilot Sport
Dunlop SP Sport
Hankook 104
Toyo T1S
Toyo Proxy 4
Yokohama S.Drive
Avon Tech M500
Nitto Neo テク Gen
Ultrac Giugiaro
Nexen N3000
Dunlop Sportmaxx
Achilles ATR Sport
Bridgestone RE050A Run Flat

LARGE:
Continental Contisport
BF Goodrich g-Force KDW
General UHP
Bridgestone S03
Kumho SPT
Federal ss595
Pirelli P-Zero Line
Goodyear F1 Line
Falken FK452
Cooper Zeon 2XS
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Proxes T1R
Wanli S-1099
Nitto Invo
Wanli S-1088
Marshall Power Racer
Kumho Ecsta AST

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind tire brand/models do make a difference in sizing. Here's a list, try to stick with tires that run small or true to size. If you were to go with one that runs large, I'd go a size smaller
Wong05, currently on my car I have a set of 225/40/18 Falken 502's, out of curiosity where would it fit on the list? small, true or large? also would I need to run a tire with a softer sidewall in order for it to stretch better? on the 9.5" width?

from past experiences I've heard that Falken's have stiffer sidewalls.

·
6,942 Posts
Wong05, currently on my car I have a set of 225/40/18 Falken 502's, out of curiosity where would it fit on the list? small, true or large? also would I need to run a tire with a softer sidewall in order for it to stretch better? on the 9.5" width?

from past experiences I've heard that Falken's have stiffer sidewalls.
Can't say, I had that list saved from some post I saw on vipstylecars. I'd presume they'd be on the small-true side of the list

Don't get run-flats, too stiff. As such, you don't want a stiff tire as you already figured

225 TRUE isn't that big of a stretch IMO, you can still see the tire. But it is the best look, I'm not too keen of the entire super lip poke thing. Love it flush, but not overdone

·
Registered
279 Posts
OP +1 on running spacers if you feel the need to make it more flush if youre notnsure on the offset. Also by running spacers you can slowly work your way and push the wheels out to see what your working with to do fender adjustments. Good luck post some pics when your done.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Whats up guys, newby here. I just recently got my tsx 1st gen and already plan on slamming it.
What i have bought so far:
F&f type 1
Skunk2 front camber kit
Ingalls rear camber kit

My question is, do u guys think i would have any issues with 18x9 +40 all around, such as strut spaving or the wheels hitting my struts? I plan on running 225/40 series tires, hoping to do minor fender work.
Any intell would be greatly appreciated!:)

I know its a 2 month old thread but hopefully someone helps out

·
Registered
283 Posts

SMALL:
Falken ST115
Falken ZE-512
Falken FK451 (D)
Fuzion ZRi
Venezia Crusade
Nankang NS-II

TRUE:
Nitto 555 Extreme
Michelin Pilot Sport
Dunlop SP Sport
Hankook 104
Toyo T1S
Toyo Proxy 4
Yokohama S.Drive
Avon Tech M500
Nitto Neo テク Gen
Ultrac Giugiaro
Nexen N3000
Dunlop Sportmaxx
Achilles ATR Sport
Bridgestone RE050A Run Flat

LARGE:
Continental Contisport
BF Goodrich g-Force KDW
General UHP
Bridgestone S03
Kumho SPT
Federal ss595
Pirelli P-Zero Line
Goodyear F1 Line
Falken FK452
Cooper Zeon 2XS
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Proxes T1R
Wanli S-1099
Nitto Invo
Wanli S-1088
Marshall Power Racer
Kumho Ecsta AST
Sorry for the thread jack...

Can anyone tell me if they have had any bad experiences with achilles atr sport? or maybe federals. I got a quote from Henry at Temple City auto that was very promising.

Im going to run a stretch similar specs but mine are 9.5+30. Im planning on 215/40/18.

Or any tire recommendations would help.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack...

Can anyone tell me if they have had any bad experiences with achilles atr sport? or maybe federals. I got a quote from Henry at Temple City auto that was very promising.

Im going to run a stretch similar specs but mine are 9.5+30. Im planning on 215/40/18.

Or any tire recommendations would help.
Best bang for your buck. Hankook Ventus V12's. I've had nothing but success stretching 205's on 8.5 and they're crazy quiet and grip amazingly in the rain and you can get a full set for give or take $500. I've used Falken 452's and they're insanely loud. Other then that, I haven't really used any others. Pirelli's are overpriced but they're awesome. Yokohama Advans are sexy but if you can afford them.

Sorry to steal this thread but how about running 9.75 +35. That's what I'm thinking of running in the rear. Front's I'll go with something simpler like 8.75 +35. Think I'll need to pull? I don't mind rolling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking around for wheels, I'm totally inspired by OneUp and tsxuser. As of right now, I'm pretty much set on getting these wheels in 18x9.5 on 225/40s. Other than the lip size, is there any other difference between the look and shape of the wheels between +27 and +40? Like, is +27 more concave looking? I've looked around, and haven't been able to find a perfect picture with a side-by-side comparison of the different offsets. Both offsets look kind of the same in pictures, but pictures on the internet usually don't reveal much :p.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts