Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually put Esso/Exxon 91 gas into my car...

Now I am putting what I believe is better: Shell V-Power 91 octane gas...

---I am sure that Shell gas makes the engine running quieter than Exxon...

But I have a problem with both of those fuels: at 1500rmps...I can hear the sound that's the engine telling me "give me 97 octane!"

What do you guys putting into your cars?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I usually use ExxonMobil 93 octane, Phillips 66, or BP Amoco 93 Supreme.

I had a bad experience with Shell gasoline back in 2003, never will I use it again. I put in Shell 93 octane and my TSX didn't seem to like the fuel blend. Apparently, the engine started knocking and acceleration felt sluggish when compared to other premium fuels I've used. Also, fuel economy was 19.7MPG compared to my average of 26.5MPG.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No 93 octane in Toronto except Sunoco 94 (with alcohol boost)....damm country side! I can get 97 octane even back in China!

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
never put shell, so much danm sulfar in their mix, and their fuel has been know to clog, and damge sensors

no choice it's 87, 89 then 94, and tsx minimun is like 92 i beleive... so I always fill 94octane at Husky with 15% alchool (ethenol) more power but burns a bit faster too.

92 and 94 at cheveron is really good too!

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
Chevron Supreme all the way.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
Toronto has NO CHERVON?? i thought it's cdn wide.......

Try Petro Canada.... i heard it's similar to Chrevon....... and ya, canada no 97... oh well..... it will be $$ anyways~

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
BBgun said:
Damm it...no Chevron station in Toronto area....
They don't have Chevron here in the Midwestern US. I've seen them in California and Nevada, I guess they are only in the western states and Canada.

The main gas stations here are:

QT/Quicktrip. Phillips 66, Conoco, BP Amoco, Exxon/Mobil, Sam's Club gas, and Shell.

G

·
Gentlemen, I happen to know quite a bit about fuels as I spent a few years as a test technician for Nissan's GTP program. My primary position was testing, flowing and matching fuel injectors for 900-1000 Horsepower IMSA GTP cars. I will share what I know with you. On the octane content of fuel, there are slight variations, but for the most part they are pretty accurate. Fuel fillers are a bigger problem, for example here in California they add additives to the fuel to make it run cleaner. Some states add ethanol, etc. But the bottom line is THAT SHOULD NOT MATTER. Your car is equipped with a knock sensor and if the engine is making strange sounds that is not good because the knock sensor should retard the ignition timing before you hear much. The knock sensor is like a stethoscope on the block and it can detect knock before you can. The only thing you should notice between fuel octane levels is a difference in performance. Next time your tank is close to empty put one gallon of 87 octane and drive it around for 5 minutes. If the engine is making some knocking, pinging noises, your knock sensor is not working correctly. Fill the tank up with 91 to bring the octane up and take it in to get checked out.

Now on to fuel brands. In real honest-to-god race cars all fuel injectors are tested for flow rates. Believe it or not, all injectors have slight variations in flow so you test flow hundreds and you match 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 injectors. After each race the are tested again and re-matched because after being used in a 2 hour race the flow rates change again. I personally tested a thousands of injectors. What we found was that flow of used injectors decreased after every race when run on different race fuels. To solve this problem, we decided to test additives in the fuel to see if we could maintain high flow rates. We were concerned that we were getting a 5-10% reduction in fuel flow between the start of a race the last part of it. A 10% reduction in fuel flow could make the difference between first place and not even placing in the top 3. What we found was that Chevron Techron kept the injectors open longer. We ran tests with it in full blown race fuel and it didn't affect performance and it maintained the injectors clean. I do not work for Chevron if you are asking. Techron is the additive in Chevron fuels so I agree with the Chevron people. I have empirical data that Techron is the real deal and it works. Their formula is secret so I don't think other companies can get it, it's like the Coke formula. You can get other decent colas but only Coke, tastes like Coke. If you can't get Chevron in your town, try the additive. You can get it at Costco pretty cheap. Good luck.

Ignacio

·
Oplix
18 Posts
I tried Shell V-91 and my engine did not perform smoothly. I also used Costo Premium and that gave the same effect to my engine. Both brands not only caused my engine to rattle a bit, but also resulted delay in acceleraton from stop-and-go (as if the engine did not respond until about a second later when I press the gas pedal). But when I fill up the tank with Spirit 76, Chevron, or Texaco (premium grade selected), my engine acceleration was quiet, responsive, and smooth. As to which brand will give me better mileage, well that I will have to test unless someone has done it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
good to kno that nachob ... great info .. ~
glade i did Chevron 94 all the way .. ~:D

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
Glad we have CHevron up here.......from now on......only Chevron for my baby~

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I use conoco or albertsons (all 93 octane). most places have 93 here in tx

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find this rather interesting. I could be wrong but I believe the US TSX gets the 147 kw 2.4 -- same spec as Japan. In Australia we always get detuned versions of engines to cope with our "low grade fuel" and we get a claimed 140 kw version -- but Honda specs say we have to run it on minimum 95 RON fuel! (The majority of premium around here now seems to be 98 anyhow...)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Kroger 93 here, but I have a Chevron card when I needed it. I wish the Chevron down the road would compete with Kroger on prices.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts