Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the members who have been posting and getting more people involved (you know who you are) this site is becoming a much more fun place to come to and discuss the Acura TSX.

Lets hope this site becomes even bigger and more fun in the coming months..

Thanks to all

laola

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I gotta thank this site just for being here, and for being so receptive to new subjects and ideas.

Also I gotta thank the many people from a-tsx.com who have been coming by to visit and to post.

A little digression, but I think related.....
A while back, during a previous mini-crisis over there, I expressed a concern to their mods and admins that some aspects of the site's handling would endanger its long-term success -- that a crass-and-crude style might be OK for a while but that in the long run, an Acura site needed to cater to more-elegant and more-established types and that the current approach wasn't going to do it. One of the the thoughts I offered was that females would tend to be more affected, and that one of the first signs might be that the site would lose most of the female members. For whatever it may be worth, this seems indeed to have been occurring. The proportion of female participation over there seems to have drastically decreased in the past 3-4 months.

Not that I'm sure what this means, or that it's related to what I said. But I believe that it is, and that it's a "leading indicator." I believe a site that is run in such an inelegant manner will be handicapped in attracting and retaining the kinds of people that it needs. I don't mean that the site will fail, but I do believe it will be impeded, and it appears that to some extent it already has been. Because of their considerable degree of activity, nothing like this may be evident for some time, and perhaps they will be successful enough for their tastes anyway. But they will not have as wide an appeal as they might.

This site is not nearly as active as that one right now, but its tone may well be more comfortable for many people, and in the long run we may see the favorable results of that. Including, by the way, more participation by women. I notice that few if any females appear to have been active on this site of late, but perhaps that will change. In any event, it appears that the decrease in female participation "over there" has been drastic.

(Pardon the tangent.)

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
No, thank *you*....

I think this site has great potential. I've enjoyed my experience so far, and even though I don't own a TSX (yet!) I've been warmly received. Seems like a friendly bunch to me. What do you think we can do to create more traffic/interest?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Re: No, thank *you*....

Ferg said:
.....What do you think we can do to create more traffic/interest?
My three cents:

(1) Spreading the news (which I'm trying to do)
(2) Doing what you can to give others the same kind of feedback that you appreciate getting yourself.
and....
(3) Keeping it all civil and intelligent, which this site has done a great job at.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
This site is also more user friendly than the others. I like this site cause i can look at the active topics and go from there :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
And it's much, much faster.

And BY FAR the best home page -- which doesn't seem to get much comment.
Maybe people don't look at it enough.

Check it out!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Since this section is in "Front Page News"......

We've been getting a lot of new members lately, and I've been thinking of how we might get still more. Well, let's see....

I figure most people who surf the net for TSX forums are looking for info about the car (yeah, didn't you just KNOW I was a rocket scientist) :D and yeah, there's a lot of info on here, but maybe what would grab a lot of people the most would be some of the most impressive reviews, and especially the awards. I know y'all have that list of media stuff on the Home page, and that's great, but I think there's something a little extra that would be good.

How about having a few (not too many) Sticky threads at the top of this Front Page News forum (or whichever) featuring the most important and impressive awards and reviews, like a separate Sticky thread for each? Maybe start each one with either a scan or an easy link for the article (the stuff on the Home page is downloads, which I think is less preferable), then of course there could be discussion of each thing. One article that should definitely be featured if we do this would be the Car & Driver 10 Best article. Others that could be considered are the Forbes/CNN thing that picked the TSX as #1 (that one isn't even very well known), and the Automobile article that also picked TSX #1 although that article wasn't done terrifically.

If people are surfing the web about cars, let's show them some of the most impressive stuff about the car up top -- let's make it easy for them to find it and fall in love with the car. I think something like this might be a good way to do it. And of course that might help them fall in love with the site too.

I think that much or most of what might be chosen for such a thing is already present on the site. It would just be a matter of "re-featuring" it in a more prominent way.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
BTW if this is the kind of thing that you don't like being discussed on the site, I'd certainly understand..... (Just occurred to me.)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
larchmont said:
BTW if this is the kind of thing that you don't like being discussed on the site, I'd certainly understand..... (Just occurred to me.)
what do you mean? whats wrong with what your talking about? just points on improving the site.. that kinda stuff is never bad... :confused:

:cool:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging reply, hf4. The reason I wondered is that as I thought about it, I realized that this could come under "STFU and let the admins/mods run the site." (Which has of course come up elsewhere -- sorry for the reference, but couldn't help it.) And the problem with that kind of thing would be, where does one draw the line? It seems obvious to me that it's best not to have a line at all, as long as suggestions are made appropriately and respectfully. But I've been conditioned to know that it's not always viewed that way. It seems like a no-brainer that the harsher view has a chilling effect on the membership, and stifles suggestions and ideas as well as any general discussion of what might help the site. So I'm glad to see that you couldn't even imagine what I was worried about.

So..... Anybody else have thoughts about whether it might be a good idea to have sticky's featuring some of the best and most interesting media pieces? I think it could be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts