Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading on here the last few hours trying to pinpoint my problem.

Backstory - Wife and I took the car in to have the tires rotated this afternoon. Car was blowing cold the 10 miles there from the house. They have the car for 20 minutes, did a brake check cause the wife says the car shakes on hard stops. Get it back and head to dinner. While sitting at a light, A/C stops blowing cold. It's off for about 10 minutes, then blows cold while driving, but not when idle. Put it in park, no change. I turn the A/C off completely for a few minutes, and when I turn it on it sounds like a bunch of rocks inside a coffee can. Turn the compressor off (vents still blowing though) and the noise stops. Air is slightly cold without the compressor.

I got home, popped the hood, and yea, the noise is definitely coming from the compressor. I saw where someone suggested the drivebelt/tensioner so I pulled out the manual. I checked the position of the tensioner arrow, it's slightly off center but still within the margin. When I started the car it didn't move at all, so I assume that it and the belt are good?

I took a video with my phone, it sounded horrible through my speakers because the phone was sitting on the shock tower, but should hopefully get the point across. First is with the air blowing but the A/C OFF. Then I turn it on and you can hear the noise. This continues no matter how long you let it sit.

Wife wants me to drop it off to be looked at tomorrow, don't really feel like spending $1000 to have a $250 compressor installed, so help me out here.

This is on my facebook, I can try youtube as well.

Ideas? Obviously air compressor. Thinking either clutch input or | Facebook

Please help.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Your video is pointed at the PS pump btw. It seems like your compressor is failing. Have you ever had it replaced. If not, you're quite lucky to have made it to 178k. I'd get the system evacuated, swap out the compressor and charge it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I know, was just the only place I could sit the phone while moving without fearing it falling into the belt system lol.

Took it in this morning to my Father-in-law's friend's shop. He charged us $650 out the door for a new OEM compressor kit, labor, and fluid flush. He said luckily the condensor was clean.

We've owned the car since 45k miles (bought in 08), and this was the first time is has ever been in. Only things we have done are oil changes, brake pads/rotors, serp belt, and replace both front door lock actuators.

It has new exhaust from a wreck we were in last year, but other than that...

It's all good now, just need to tighten the tensioner cause he didn't set it right and now it squeaks. It's out of the alignment grid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so now the wife just got back home with it, and the air isn't blowing as hard as it was before going out, it's not as cold as before, and now the drive belt squeaks.

I got the car in the garage and popped the hood, how do I adjust the tension of the drive belt? it is about 2mm outside of the alignment grid and the belt is squeaking like crazy and it feels like I have a huge underdrive pulley.

belts were in perfect alignment last night, did he do something to knock them out of whack?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
The tensioner is automatic. If it's out of spec, the belt is either stretched or, if it's new, the wrong size. It's rare but your tensioner spring could have broken for some reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts