Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in driving school, my instructor once told me that the low beam headlights should be turned on whenever you use the wipers either in rain or snow during daytime. My question is that with HID, will that make the situation worse? My friend told me that if you turn on high beam when it's snowing heavily, you can hardly see the road. I am just wondering what it's like with a stronger light such as HID.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I havent really had a problem w/ the low beams in the snow, there aimed low enough so it dosent cause a problem, The Brights, yeah u cant see all that far infront of u... so just stick w/ the lowbeams

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I basically agree with Memph, although I wouldn't exactly say "they're aimed low enough." The HID's seem to bother a lot of people coming at us.

Also: I agree that you should turn on the low beams in the situations you say, but I don't think that's the criterion that should be used -- it's way too limited.

I think the criterion should be just, whenever visibility is worse than regular daylight.
Which of course would include what you said, but also a lot of other things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
larchmont said:
I basically agree with Memph, although I wouldn't exactly say "they're aimed low enough." The HID's seem to bother a lot of people coming at us.
I don't believe a lot of people here share the opinion that the HIDs bother other cars. Perhaps you should have your's checked out. I have now seen you post on this topic many times, and while I would not say you are wrong about your situation - I would say that is not the majority.

We have two cars - so when my wife drives the TSX I occasionally drive in front of her or follow her car when we go home after meeting someplace after work. I have never noticed a problem. In fact I find the HIDs on the TSX to be exceptionally unobtrusive to other people - unlike some of the regular headlights I see, and especially those on BMWs. :smash:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
No they most Defenutly do Bother other cars...More from the approaching View, then people infront of us...The BMW/Merc Ones drive me nuts when there behind me....ours dont do that, but if ur going the other direction it seems to bother people... I was more refering to the Snow, there low enough when its snowing that it dosent really reflect back into your eyes...however I live in a pritty hilly area...and sometimes feel like I cant See Enough in the snow...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
It's news to me that quite a few people DON'T find that the TSX low beams bother oncoming drivers! But it looks like that's how it is.

I wonder if maybe it's that their lights just happen to be aimed a little lower than the rest of ours. :donno:

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
I wonder if maybe it's that their lights just happen to be aimed a little lower than the rest of ours.
Consumer Reports has started testing headlights for performance and the best headlights they tested included halogens and the worst headlights included HIDs.

CLICK HERE

They did NOT like the TSX's headlights when they tested the TSX. I don't think they'd be bad if I mostly did city driving. However, in the pitch black of the wilderness in the early AM they leave an awful lot to be desired. CR reported that the best headlights they tested were the cheap-o halogens on the Mazda Protege5, raising the philosophical question:

Is the point of Xenon HID headlights to see where you're going, or is it to annoy other motorists?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
bob shiftright said:
They did NOT like the TSX's headlights when they tested the TSX. I don't think they'd be bad if I mostly did city driving. However, in the pitch black of the wilderness in the early AM they leave an awful lot to be desired. CR reported that the best headlights they tested were the cheap-o halogens on the Mazda Protege5, raising the philosophical question:

Is the point of Xenon HID headlights to see where you're going, or is it to annoy other motorists?
Yeah, In the really dark conditions or in really windy roads w/ hills, i find myself using my brights more often...some Auto Leveling or perhaps the ones that turn the corner would be awsome

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
bob shiftright said:
Consumer Reports has started testing headlights for performance and the best headlights they tested included halogens and the worst headlights included HIDs.

CLICK HERE

the point is to sell cars. these companies can make halogen lamps that perform just as well as 95% of the HIDs available in any car today. Thing is that people would rather have that initial "bling" factor when they buy and thats all that the company cares about. You damn well know some people would be bitching if the TSX didnt have HIDs standard, even if the halogens worked better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in a nice neighborhood in new york city, a lot of people drive new cars there and it's very common to walk on the street at night and get "blinded" (I used quotation marks here because after a while you get used to it) by the HID from the on-coming cars. At first I thought why would those drivers use high beams on local roads. Then I realize that everyone with HID does the same. Then after a while you kinda get used to it and start to realize that's how HID is. So right now it's no longer a bother to me.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
yofoofoo said:
I live in a nice neighborhood in new york city, a lot of people drive new cars there and it's very common to walk on the street at night and get "blinded" (I used quotation marks here because after a while you get used to it) by the HID from the on-coming cars. At first I thought why would those drivers use high beams on local roads. Then I realize that everyone with HID does the same. Then after a while you kinda get used to it and start to realize that's how HID is. So right now it's no longer a bother to me.
Manhattan ? where is that ? upper east/west ?

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Not that many people in Manhattan drive cars!
Oh. I did not know that. :donno:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are right! hehe, it ain't Manhattan. But it's not because of yellow cabs either. In Manhattan most of the roads are flat. However there are little hills from what I live, I guess I shouldn't call them hills because the roads just have steep slopes with dramatic changes just a block or two away. So it is like when you drive over speed bumps and your HID flashes the cars in front of you, but here most of the roads are one-way only, so instead pedestrians are being flashed. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I totally disagree with the comments on HID from CR. I have owned many cars (mostly hondas with standard lighting + fogs) and lived in Norhtern Ontario Canada were I comment about driving in snow. The issue with blinding while driving is not the intensity of light but the level they are at. This is same for fog conditions. I find my HIDs light up road much better. As for on-coming HIDs the fact is they "catch" you eye so you tend to look directly at them. If you just pay attention to where you are going they do not bother me much. My 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts