Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were thinking of getting the OEM suspension kit on our TSX. Anyone have the a-spec? Do you like it? We found one on Ebay from an Acura Dealer for only $575 plus S.H. It's brand new and seems like a good deal. We just weren't sure how stiff the everyday ride will be. Will we be bouncing around?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I havent personally ridden in an A-Spec, but with Honda being the way they are, Im sure it will ride very close to stock. Are you trying to achieve better handling or the lowered look? If either, I would recommend something different. A man by the name of Joker on the forums has the Mugen kit ($1000 roughly) and is very pleased. You can also buy lowering springs for around $250-400, but I have never been a fan as you then retain the stock struts/shocks. Had the factory components been intended to be used with a lowered spring, they would have done so from the get.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
As indicated above, the ride quality and feel isn't too far off from the current settings. You won't have much complains if you want something close to what you're currently getting yet slightly improving your vehicle handling.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
jonpfive said:
A man by the name of Joker on the forums has the Mugen kit ($1000 roughly) and is very pleased.
:nod:
<--Can't say enough good things about the Mugen suspension :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
flfungirl said:
My husband and I were thinking of getting the OEM suspension kit on our TSX. Anyone have the a-spec? Do you like it? We found one on Ebay from an Acura Dealer for only $575 plus S.H. It's brand new and seems like a good deal. We just weren't sure how stiff the everyday ride will be. Will we be bouncing around?
The Aspec suspension is a well engineered set up that will not cause any bouncing. It will lower your car approximately 1", improve handling, reduce body sway and have close to stock ride quality.

·
Hondatafied
134 Posts
I have the A-Spec suspension on my car and I'm very pleased with the results. My car actually dropped over an inch and handling has been significantly improved while retaining the factory ride quality. I'm anxious to install a comptech rear sway and change those crappy oem michelin tires out for some stickier rubber.

I also looked at the Mugen SS but couldn't bring myself to drop $1000 when the A-Spec was about $675 shipped to my door. I'm sure the Mugen SS is completely worth it's price after hearing numerous RSX owners rave about it, but I personally wanted to save some money.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
flfungirl said:
It really depends on what you're looking for. I installed the A-Spec suspension on my TSX and it has made a huge improvement in handling without much penalty in ride comfort. No bounce at all. It's stiffer, and has reduced the body roll and brake squat, but you won't have to apolagize for the ride when you bring friends in your car. It won't have a slammed look, but it did come down a little over a 1". I got mine from the same dealer on eBay that you're refering to- AofE Parts, and he was great to work with.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club LannyM :wavey:

Joker - who likes the de-badged look :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. Our main goal would be to reduce body roll. The lowering is just a bonus. I think we'll save up the $$ and make the purchase.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Joker said:
Hello, and welcome to the Club LannyM :wavey:

Joker - who likes the de-badged look :thumbsup:
Thanks, your ride with the Mugen setup looks sweet as well. And in case anyone is wondering, the license plate was PS'd out, but the badges are really gone :) ......

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
LannyM said:
It really depends on what you're looking for. I installed the A-Spec suspension on my TSX and it has made a huge improvement in handling without much penalty in ride comfort. No bounce at all. It's stiffer, and has reduced the body roll and brake squat, but you won't have to apolagize for the ride when you bring friends in your car. It won't have a slammed look, but it did come down a little over a 1". I got mine from the same dealer on eBay that you're refering to- AofE Parts, and he was great to work with.....
Yes, welcome -- and great reply.
It tells me what I need to know, which (unfortunately) is that this ain't for me. I'm more than happy enough with the stock handling that I wouldn't want to sacrifice any ride quality to make the handling better. Although many or most car-philes would gladly take the trade-off, I'd guess that most Acura customers wouldn't. Which would show once again that Honda/Acura knew what it was doing.

Which BTW is what I've been saying about the stock tires too. Actually the situations are very analogous.

A little OT, but.....I've seen some of your great stuff "over there."
BTW my stock tires are now over 26K miles, and no great wear. I imagine they'll be more than fine for another 10K, easily, then I'll get new ones before waiting for trouble.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes, welcome -- and great reply.
It tells me what I need to know, which (unfortunately) is that this ain't for me. I'm more than happy enough with the stock handling that I wouldn't want to sacrifice any ride quality to make the handling better. Although many or most car-philes would gladly take the trade-off, I'd guess that most Acura customers wouldn't. Which would show once again that Honda/Acura knew what it was doing.

Which BTW is what I've been saying about the stock tires too. Actually the situations are very analogous.

A little OT, but.....I've seen some of your great stuff "over there."
BTW my stock tires are now over 26K miles, and no great wear. I imagine they'll be more than fine for another 10K, easily, then I'll get new ones before waiting for trouble.
Thanks for the welcome!

The handling in stock form is really good; just look at all the accolades this car has received in the last year. The awesome handling is always mentioned. I wanted to take the handling a little further (my last car was an S2K), but I needed to keep the ride quality at a comfortable level. So, Konis/Prokits ans coilovers were not an option. The A-Spec setup was exacly what I was looking for, kinda like the Sport Package option that BWM or Audi does. Most of those cars don't come through with the Sport Package either, so they all know what they're doing by making it optional.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
LannyM said:
......my last car was an S2K.....
Well, in that case I can sure understand!! :bowdown1:

BTW moving to the TSX (stock) how much of a sacrifice was there in power and handling?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
larchmont said:
BTW moving to the TSX (stock) how much of a sacrifice was there in power and handling?
Apples and Oranges if you ask me, even when both are heavily modified the line cannot be drawn close or matched. However, both have different design principals and performance specifications.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
:mad: I was asking Lanny! :mad:

When you move from an S2000 to a TSX, these are some things that you "might" notice, and I'm interested to hear his take on it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Noel said:
I can't answer?

BTW, if you don't know. I also have an S2K. :p
:bowdown1: :bowdown: :bowdown1:

Yes indeed.

But not if you're gonna squelch the discussion. :lol:

Larchmont, who knows that Lanny can't be squelched. :D

1 - 20 of 87 Posts