Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how the A-Spec suspension compares to the Mugen?
Is the Mugen really worth the extra $$?
The roads around me are pretty lousy, and I've heard good things about the ride quality on the A-spec.
How does the Mugen ride?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I guess Joker would be a good time to chime in soon. But if you mentioned poor road conditions, either will feel less comfortable but perform better when compared with the OEM setup.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I don't think I've come across anyone who has first hand experience with both set ups. I have the A-Spec, and my feeling would be that the Mugen is the next step up in terms of sportiness, probably a little bit lower, and probably rides a little stiffer as well. Joker, got any close up pics of the Mugem drop?

·
Registered
54 Posts
SAZABI said:
I don't want my car to be lowered....
anyone knows how much it lowers with mugen non-adjustable?
and the minimum lowering for adjustable?

stock height would be perfect, tolerence is 0.5"
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=76&vehicle=TSX

I'm assuming you were referring to this? It lowers it to about 25mm which is about a 1" drop in general. As for the 5 way adjustables, i'm not sure what the mininum is in general. If you're not looking to lower your car, you could just get other mods that will help reduce body roll and increase handling. Kind of a waste of money to install aftermarket suspension if you're not going to lower it.

-Jimmy

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Jimmmmmmah!!! said:
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=76&vehicle=TSX

I'm assuming you were referring to this? It lowers it to about 25mm which is about a 1" drop in general. As for the 5 way adjustables, i'm not sure what the mininum is in general. If you're not looking to lower your car, you could just get other mods that will help reduce body roll and increase handling. Kind of a waste of money to install aftermarket suspension if you're not going to lower it.

-Jimmy
want it stiffer, but not lowered.

don't want sway bars tho. that's diff stiffening.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you really want a stiffer ride, then look into getting some shocks to firm up the ride a bit.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the spec of the Mugen suspension:

Non-adj suspenions, 25mm drop F&R, and spring rate is 5.4K Front and 3.4K Rear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
CL9 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are the stock spring rates front and rear? The Mugen seems soft, which is nice.

-Chad, who runs 12k front and 10k rear in his 2000 lb race car :eek:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Noel said:
I guess Joker would be a good time to chime in soon.
I can't say enough good things about the Mugen suspension, but I have yet to drive a TSX with the A-Spec suspension.
So I am sad to say that I am not of much help on this one :donno:

·
Registered
167 Posts
TodaSi said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are the stock spring rates front and rear? The Mugen seems soft, which is nice.
Anyone, anyone? Bueller?, Bueller?, Bueller?, Bueller?.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
yeah saz, if u dont lower it ur really not gonna be feeling too much of the stiffness u want, sorry to say, but thats kinda just like throwing money down the shitter for no reason, ur really not gonna get performance w/out at least the 1 inch of the mugen/Aspec/Comptech... Front and Rear Sways would prob make the biggest difference w/ out lowering it, but u say that u dont want that... So Maybe Shocks, i dunno...you gotta sacrafice luxury for sportness... sorry bud

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
TodaSi said:

-Chad, who runs 12k front and 10k rear in his 2000 lb race car :eek:
5K F, 3.1k R, if we're stating it that way :D.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
CL9 said:

So if Mugen is 5.4 F and 3.4 R
Stock is 5.0 F and 3.1 R
Aspec is ?? ??

Does it really make that big of a difference to upgrade?

·
Registered
56 Posts
ill compare the two shortly when my mugen adjustables arrive. i currently have the aspec, so i can do a direct comparison. =D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
First of all, I'm going to convert these to lb/in; I can't comprehend the difference in kg :D

Mugen 305 F 191R

Stock 280 F 175 R

A-Spec 308 F 192R

Comptech 110-155 312 F 170 R

Okay, now the Comptech is progressive, so that rate listed is dependent on how far down it's compressed-it could be softer uncompressed and stiffer fully compressed.

The A-Spec is a linear spring; I'm guessing at the rates based upon their claim that it's 10% stiffer than stock.

Just for comparison, the spring rates for Tein coilovers are now listed as 780 F 450 R.......(their site said 560 F 340 R in the not too distant past.

So, why upgrade? Well, 10% DOES make a difference. And as far as why the Mugen costs more, well, I believe you're getting a better a strut, but also, the A-Spec, for $575, is quite a bargain.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
tuan209 said:
ill compare the two shortly when my mugen adjustables arrive. i currently have the aspec, so i can do a direct comparison. =D
Do we know what the rates are for the adjustable setup?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts