Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 Audi A4 1.8T Quatrro is getting slightly long in the tooth, so I'm getting a bit more active in looking at possible replacements. I have no complaints whatsoever about my A4 -- best car I've ever owned -- but I usually like to change brands or models with each new car.

From what I have seen (haven't looked at one in person), the TSX looks like almost an ideal replacement in the same class. Does anyone agree or disagree? I like a smaller car and really don't want anything in a larger size (like an A6). My only concerns: the TSX is 5 inches longer and I hate giving up any garage space, and I am afraid I'd miss my all-wheel-drive in the winter. (Actually, the last few winters around Detroit have been mild enough that I rarely felt that I had to have the AWD, but you never know...).

Other than that, the specs and performance look very similar. I have a 5-spd now so would probably go with the 6-spd manual. I would also not mind giving up the A4's turbo -- the only repair that I've had to pay for was related to the turbo, which does make things a bit more complex under the hood.

Any comments from others who have made the switch?

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
DOugh, i have audi 1998 2.8Q for daily drive,same thought to buy a tsx to replace it!

Japanese and Europeans handles diiferently.
And it is difficult to compare the feelings of driving one i think.

Drove:
Japanese:
Acura TL, lexus ES, toyota corolla, accord, civic Lexus SC, Rx7
Euro:
BMW 3series, M3, MercBen c230, MB ML320, Audi A4 A6

I am not saying which one is better, they are just diiferent in comparisons. The way handling and engine-rev.
The wise idea is i think to sit in this forum and observe people's who actually drive the TSX and see their comments.
That's what i will do.

Off course any help from any other TSX forum-member is appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: DOugh, i have audi 1998 2.8Q for daily drive,same thought to buy a tsx to replace it!

SugarRush said:
Japanese and Europeans handles diiferently.
And it is difficult to compare the feelings of driving one i think.

Drove:
Japanese:
Acura TL, lexus ES, toyota corolla, accord, civic Lexus SC, Rx7
Euro:
BMW 3series, M3, MercBen c230, MB ML320, Audi A4 A6

I am not saying which one is better, they are just diiferent in comparisons. The way handling and engine-rev.
The wise idea is i think to sit in this forum and observe people's who actually drive the TSX and see their comments.
That's what i will do.

Off course any help from any other TSX forum-member is appreciated.
How was the REX? I bet that's the best handling car on your list that you test drove? :) ROTARY!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doug- I currently drive a 2000 A6 2.7T and will be taking delivery on a TSX early next month.

I initially was set to go with an A4 Cabriolet ... but then I actually drove one.

A4 - too small, seat comfort, and - most importantly - the Cabriolet was more $ than my current A6. I gave up on the cab (dumb idea in New England, imho ... maybe next time when I'm on the west coast).

I compared three cars: G35, A4 (1.8 and 3.0), and "stumbled" on the TSX.

The TSX won my mind over almost immediately - it was/is the most value for the $.

BUT... the styling was a little bland, it lacked the Audi panache, and wasn't as well appointed as I was expecting (auto-all windows, power passenger seat, headlight washers).

The A4 non-cab was still too small and uncomfortable. Just for the hell of it I looked at the new A6 ... they definitely cheapened the interiors a little since 2000. Sad to say, I ruled out Audi for this round.

The G35 had my heart with it's handling and "fun" drive-ability. But the cheap interior (all the floor models had chips off of the cheap fake "titanium" look plastic) and the $ just couldn't beat the TSX.

The TSX - I took at least 4 test drives to convince myself - steering handles every bit as well as my A6, without a heavy feeling. Braking was fine. Acceleration - that was my big concern - it didn't have the same kick as my A6, but then again with the turbo-lag, the difference wasn't great at all. The FWD makes me feel better than RWD, but certainly I won't be as confident as I was with Quattro. We'll see during the winter.

In the end, the "feel" of the TSX, comfort, interior, understated elegance of the exterior, and ... the $/value ... made it a clear choice for me.

Good luck to you-
mj

1 - 4 of 4 Posts