Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a new 04 silver TSX AT /W Navi. The price before tax and fees is $27,300. I thought this is a great price. I had wondered if waiting for 05 models. But the XM radio, power passenger seat, etc at an extra $800 (I guess) just doesn't attract me.

But the problem is the only silver one left in the lot has 97 test driven miles on it. I am afraid this car maybe has been a little abused at the initial break in period. What do you guys think? Did anyone here buy a new car with around 100 miles on it?

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Hello and welcome! :)

I bought my car with about the same number of miles (although I don't have a TSX). You should be fine, as long as you get the full story behind why the car has so many miles (was it a loaner? a returned car? a vehicle that was tested often??). If it was a loaner, then you have some reason to be a little skeptical, and you may want to seek another car, or a good discount if that is in fact the case. If it is just a matter that the car was test-driven a lot, then I wouldn't worry too much. Ask your salesman what their test-drive policies are: e.g. where they take people, back roads vs. highways, top speeds, max rpm's, that kinda thing. If they can't answer....well, then you know you're dealing with screw-ups. A good car salesman will watch you closely on a test drive and make sure you aren't abusing the car. The Acura saleman I worked with would not let me take the car over 70 mph on my test drive, and while that wasn't much fun, at least I was confident that no one else had abused the car.

You may be able to get a better price, or some free maintenance, or maybe even an additional year on the warranty if you press them hard enough. Unfortunately, the TSX is very popular right now, so they can be less flexible knowing that if you don't buy the car under their terms, someone else will. Plus, it's the beginning of the month, and they aren't as desperate to make deals right now.

Remember, abuse can happen at mile 10 as easily as it can happen at mile 100 or mile 1000. Most importantly, if you're even the slightest bit wary, it's probably worth waiting for the next available car. $26K+ is a lot of money to spend on a car that you are not comfortable with.

Ferg

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I went and bought my car, the car sales said that the only car that he can sold me is the one in the showroom. It has around 8-10 miles on it. However, I told him that I didn't want to get a show room car. ( I can't remember the reason I didn't want a showroom car now....maybe it's because too many people had sit on it ??)

He said he cannot offer me any special discount on the showroom car. So, I end up not buying it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the history of this car on Carfax. And Carfax doesn't contain any record of this car. So I am pretty sure it is not a loaner or a returned car. I guess the 97 miles come from test drive and maybe manager drive.

When you bought your car at a similar milage, was it also a test drive car?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Great reply from Ferg, and pretty funny reply from Diesel.
Diesel said:
....( I can't remember the reason I didn't want a showroom car now....maybe it's because too many people had sit on it ??).....
Way to go, Diesel. :lol:

I agree that you shouldn't hesitate to get the car, as long as you ask certain questions and feel satisfied with the answers you get.

BTW it's being said that the increase in MSRP on the '05's will be $400, but I had guessed about $800 and I continue to be skeptical about the $400 figure.
But even if it's really only $400, the real-life differential between the '04's and the '05's will be more than that, because you can "deal" more on an '04.

The price they're quoting you seems good to me, provided all of their answers seem OK. It's probably at least $2000 less than what you'd have to pay for an '05.

·
Registered
204 Posts
larchmont said:
Great reply from Ferg, and pretty funny reply from Diesel.

Way to go, Diesel. :lol:

Oh larchmont, someone really did tell me that showroom car worth less money, so I need to get discount from the dealership. He said that he got a $2k-$3k discount for his showroom Subaru. Well, then I think about it, I couldn't figure any reason showroom car should have more discount. So, the only think I come up with was more people "sitting" on it ?? :confused:

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Mine had 2.9 miles on it at delivery, and I specified in writing on the contract that it must have less than 10. My reason was that if you really don't know what you're doing you can destroy a clutch in less than 100 miles. I'd ask for an additional discount equal to the cost of replacing a clutch.

Obviously not a problem with an AT. Can you wear out the buttons on a Navi? :D

If I could wait until October, I'd go for an '05. Besides the heated mirrors and the power passenger seat, other reasons are that the build quality is likely to be marginally better, plus it's likely to be worth at least $800 more (guess) more at trade-in time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I bought my car, I'm pretty sure it had over 100 miles on it... maybe even 150.

I didn't even bother asking why. It was a transfer from another dealership in IL, so I figured it was driven to WI.

In any case, it's now 8 years old with almost 131k miles on it. I did have to have the clutch replaced, but that was at about 96k miles. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it bothers you that much, I'd just simply ask them about it. If nothing else, maybe they'd take a few hundred off the price.

If you decide to wait for a 2005, remember that even though the trade-in value will be higher, you'll also pay more for it (equipped the same as the 2004 you're looking at - minus the XML, additional power seat and heated mirrors - expect to pay almost $30k for a 2005 before taxes and fees).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
97 miles isn't bad if that is your only option. However, my TSX had 2 miles on it when I got it.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
How does it have 2? Don't they have to drive it from the plant to the dock? and then to the parking space at the dealership? Mine had 12 and that included the dealer pre-sale test.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
pocketkiller said:
How does it have 2? Don't they have to drive it from the plant to the dock? and then to the parking space at the dealership? Mine had 12 and that included the dealer pre-sale test.
Good question...I thought the same thing and was surprised to see it with only 2 miles on it. I was expecting 8-12 like previous new cars I have bought. I guess the ships and docks are smaller now and less driving is needed. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
......someone really did tell me that showroom car worth less money.....I couldn't figure any reason.....the only thing I come up with was more people "sitting" on it ?? :confused:
Maybe it's because of the car itself just sitting there for a few months.

I mean, if we just leave our car sitting there, that's not too good for it, right?
So I would think this would be the same thing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
Maybe it's because of the car itself just sitting there for a few months.

I mean, if we just leave our car sitting there, that's not too good for it, right?
So I would think this would be the same thing.
Not only that, but what about the hundreds of people who get into it and play around with it... and possibly scratch it up. I bet more people get into a showroom car than any car on the lot.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
Not only that, but what about the hundreds of people who get into it and play around with it... and possibly scratch it up. I bet more people get into a showroom car than any car on the lot.
That's probably kinda what Diesel meant, but I was wondering if that's the least of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 04 TSX w/ navi that had around 50 miles on it. Didn't even cross my mind that its a problem I did buy a 6 speed without knowing much about driving stick. only practiced few times, just enough to take it off the lot, highly doubt that I really messed up the clutch... as far as the price, i paid 26,800 before taxes&tags&processing fee. you should be able to convince them to throw in some accessories, like wheel locks, etc...

BTW, 6spd TSX is so much fun, go for 6spd instead of automatic to fully utilize 200 hoursepower and 4 cylinders

good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts