Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 6MT with 51K miles, purchased 2 years ago. I'm the 2nd owner. Completely stock; no mods. Between the 2 owners, this car has experienced all the usual soft spots of the early TSX'es so far, except this one. A few days ago the 3 lights - ABS indicator, VSA indicator, & (!) VSA activation indicator, all came on at the same time. They went off once briefly, came back on, and have been on since. I have had 3 Legends, so am familiar with jumping the connector and pulling the codes. I have the 04-05 TSX FSM, which provides some diagnostic info. The FSM (p19-31) says that these 3 lights indicate that ABS function is lost.

The codes I am getting when jumping pins 4+9 are:

1-7: LR sensor;
6-1: Low + B - FSR voltage;
3 very fast blinks (faster than the units position blink-don't know what this means);
1-2: RF sensor.

It's doubtful that all of these problems are indeed there and also have all happened at once. I've read the various forum posts on these indicators and see that the first steps are to pull the codes, reset and clear the codes, and test again. I will only replace parts after I confirm what is really wrong.

Followed the great info in this post-
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-electronics/65742-2004-vsa-light.html

Was able to perform Step 1, read the codes.
So far, I am not able to clear the codes, per Step 2. When the ABS light comes back on again during Step 2, it will not go out when I press and hold the brake pedal. I also do not get the ABS flashing twice, indicating that the codes have been cleared. So, all the lights remain on.

The problem I need to get past at this point is to clear the codes. Would appreciate any additional detail info on clearing the codes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Did you get the codes again after trying to clear it?

The last time all my VSA (!) ABS light came one was because of a dead LF speed sensor. But it was replaced at the shop, so I think the use the tool to reset it.

·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the codes again after trying to clear it?

The last time all my VSA (!) ABS light came one was because of a dead LF speed sensor. But it was replaced at the shop, so I think the use the tool to reset it.
Hmmm, I did not think of checking the codes again, since all the same lights were on. But, I did check them again just now, and then tried to clear them - several times.

The result was indeed different this time.

The only code I get now is -
1-7: LR sensor.

I have tried to clear the 1-7 code multiple times, but it will not clear. I would think that I should be able to clear it, and then it should come back on again once I drive the car, if the LR sensor is really the problem.

Can someone with knowledge/experience please confirm?

·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is getting interesting. During a drive yesterday, the ABS light went off for about 10 miles, and then came back on. I pulled the codes again, and I get:
1-7: LR sensor (this one is consistent);
8-4: VSA central neutral.

I see there is a procedure in the FSM to reset the 8-4. I think I'm going to go thru a read codes, reset codes, process for a while to get this completely sorted out.

Any other suggestions?

·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've given these codes enough time and miles to become consistent. I pulled the codes, then cleared the codes numerous times so now they are repeatable and consistent. Unfortunately, the car did not "heal" in the time I gave it.

I still have -
1-7 = LR sensor;
8-4 = VSA central neutral.

The FSM has a procedure to reset the code 8-4, so I'm good with that.

For the code 1-7, I have picked up a nice clean, dry, corrosion free, good,used LR sensor from CA. I have replaced Acura Legend rear sensors before - they are a major pita as they heavily corrode in place, here in the rust belt. To remove them, you must remove the caliper, the rear rotor, and then pound the sensor out of the hub with a punch and a big hammer. Then you need to clean out the hole with a dremel such that the replacement sensor fits in snugly, but easily. The TSX FSM does not give the steps to replace the rear sensors. It only gives a diagram. For the TSX rear sensor, is it necessary to remove the caliper, rotor, and pound out the old sensor? Or, are the replacement steps different? I'll know once I open it up, but I thought I'd ask ahead of time so I know what I'm in for.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.