Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having problems with my a/c working and from the looks of it after searching the forums my a/c compressor has blown. I have an 06 TSX 6 speed. I purchased the car Pre-owned and have had it for 7 months. The car itself has around 65k miles on it.

Anyways I was driving the car two days ago and I was coming to a stop light. I slow down and from what it seemed like, I heard something grinding or dragging under my car. After the light turned green I figured whatever was under my car would roll up out of the bottom. I looked up in my rear-view mirror and saw nothing as I drove away. I then noticed my a/c getting warmer until there was no cold air at all. Just to check I went to the gas station and turned a/c back on and off a couple times and the compressor didn't kick in at all.

After I did that I thought I would look under the hood to see what may have caused the grinding. So I pop the hood and look down at the bottom near the serpentine belt where the compressor is and I saw fluid leaking on to the plastic undercover. I'm pretty sure my compressor is blown however I don't want to come to conclusions since I'm not an a/c genius. What do you guys think? Acura wants to charge me $120 just for a diagnostic to figure out whats wrong. I really don't want to pay that much as well as the cost of fixing it. I want to take this into my own hands and fix it myself. Is this a difficult process? I've done simple bolt on's, brakes, etc before is this a much difficult process?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if I do fix it what should I replace? Many people say you must replace more than just the compressor to be sure no contaminants from the hoses or filters get into the new compressor. Can I keep my existing condensor?

Would you guys recommend a compressor from ebay?

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,290 Posts
Also if I do fix it what should I replace? Many people say you must replace more than just the compressor to be sure no contaminants from the hoses or filters get into the new compressor. Can I keep my existing condensor?

Would you guys recommend a compressor from ebay?
What was the leaking fluid? Sounds like the bearing might have gone out on you. When replacing the compressor, it's advisable to also replace the receiver drier, expansion valve, and condenser. I fact, some places where you buy compressors from won't warranty it unless you replace those items too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its just the bearing can I just replace the compressor? The fluid was bluish greenish looking. The fluid wasn't very thick either. I'm thinking about buying an complete a/c repair kit from Discountacparts.com

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,290 Posts
If its just the bearing can I just replace the compressor? The fluid was bluish greenish looking. The fluid wasn't very thick either. I'm thinking about buying an complete a/c repair kit from Discountacparts.com
That should work. That fluid might be the oil used in the compressor. So that repair kit is the one with the O-rings right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the repair kit that comes with compressor, condensor, ac expansion valve, compressor oil.

I went to get my a/c diagnosed yesterday and they found a huge crack running across the compressor where it was leaking compressor oil. The mechanic thinks that since it cracked that it probably just busted open rather than something tearing up inside the compressor where it would send metal flakes through the system.

The mechanic knew a lot about a/c and definitely seemed to know his stuff. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and replace everything though to be on the safe side since I already bought the whole kit.

What I think I need to know now is how to replace the a/c expansion valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thread revival, but did you ever have any resolution to this?

I had the same exact grinding followed with hot air happen this past week. Now I'm getting quoted $1700 for a complete replacement. Ouch.

Did you end up doing the work yourself? How difficult and how are the results? I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off, so I want longevity to be a reality following replacement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thread revival, but did you ever have any resolution to this?

I had the same exact grinding followed with hot air happen this past week. Now I'm getting quoted $1700 for a complete replacement. Ouch.

Did you end up doing the work yourself? How difficult and how are the results? I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off, so I want longevity to be a reality following replacement.
Yes, it has been a few years since I've gotten it fixed and since then it has gone out another 2 times. To be exact Summer 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Each time it has costed me around $1000; especially since I did the job myself the last 2x. Doing the work is not easy and I would not recommend someone doing it if they haven't wrenched on a car before. It's just a long process because ideally you want to replace the parts on the whole system.

The first time I got my AC repair it was by a mechanic and they replaced everything except the expansion valve and evap b/c it is a chore to get to and b/c it costs more. It only lasted a year before it went out.

The second time, I fixed it myself and again like the first time I did not replace the expansion valve or evap. This only lasted me until the next summer.

The last time I fixed it was in 2013 and I replaced every single thing regarding the AC system. So far it's been running since then. Only problem I've had is that the AC doesn't cool very well when the car is stationary and getting bombarded with the Texas heat

I can't stress enough that you should replace every part in regards to the AC system. Typically when your compressor goes out metal shards will circulate through the system and contaminants will be left behind. If you were to only replace a couple of parts, chances are the metal flakes left behind will circulate into the new parts and eventually cause your AC to go out again.

If you need tips I can help.

As a long time Honda owner I would never recommend the TSX to my worst enemy. I've just been too disappointed with this car even beyond the AC. I hope you have better luck than I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it has been a few years since I've gotten it fixed and since then it has gone out another 2 times. To be exact Summer 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Each time it has costed me around $1000; especially since I did the job myself the last 2x. Doing the work is not easy and I would not recommend someone doing it if they haven't wrenched on a car before. It's just a long process because ideally you want to replace the parts on the whole system.

The first time I got my AC repair it was by a mechanic and they replaced everything except the expansion valve and evap b/c it is a chore to get to and b/c it costs more. It only lasted a year before it went out.

The second time, I fixed it myself and again like the first time I did not replace the expansion valve or evap. This only lasted me until the next summer.

The last time I fixed it was in 2013 and I replaced every single thing regarding the AC system. So far it's been running since then. Only problem I've had is that the AC doesn't cool very well when the car is stationary and getting bombarded with the Texas heat

I can't stress enough that you should replace every part in regards to the AC system. Typically when your compressor goes out metal shards will circulate through the system and contaminants will be left behind. If you were to only replace a couple of parts, chances are the metal flakes left behind will circulate into the new parts and eventually cause your AC to go out again.

If you need tips I can help.

As a long time Honda owner I would never recommend the TSX to my worst enemy. I've just been too disappointed with this car even beyond the AC. I hope you have better luck than I.

Oh man. That's just far too many failures.

I'm comfortable with tools (been racing motocross my whole life, replacing all parts from the dirt to the handlebars; worked on cars plenty of times, including replacing all suspension parts, u-joints, pulleys, water pumps, etc...), but I've NEVER been into an HVAC system.

After talking to two shops, one is stating full replacement for $1,646.65 and the other is stating $690 for the compressor/accumulator/flush route, stating that they "saw no reason for anything additional."

$1,000.00 less sounds preferable, but I'm a bit nervous following your story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man. That's just far too many failures.

I'm comfortable with tools (been racing motocross my whole life, replacing all parts from the dirt to the handlebars; worked on cars plenty of times, including replacing all suspension parts, u-joints, pulleys, water pumps, etc...), but I've NEVER been into an HVAC system.

After talking to two shops, one is stating full replacement for $1,646.65 and the other is stating $690 for the compressor/accumulator/flush route, stating that they "saw no reason for anything additional."

$1,000.00 less sounds preferable, but I'm a bit nervous following your story.

If your budget allows, I'd replace all of the parts that make up the AC system. Such as condenser(w/ dryer), compressor, expansion valve, evaporator, o-rings, etc.

Learn from my mistakes; I didn't have quite enough money to replace everything since I was on a college budget but if I could have gone back I would've tried to buy the extra parts.

Anyway, doing the fix yourself will definitely be cheaper. You will also save money by doing it right the first time.

Given your knowledge I'm sure you can do it. The hardest part is removing the compressor and also removing the expansion valve. Beyond that, everything is very straight forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts