Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many of you have noticed this, but its awesome. Something I discovered first time I drove the TSX. The accelleration pedal is much different than that of any other car I have driven. Instead of the pedal comming down from the usual spot, it is attached to the ground and pushes down like crushing a wedge with your foot. Maybe nothing special to anyone else at all, but I think it's awsome.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sublime3sixteen said:
I'm not sure how many of you have noticed this, but its awesome. Something I discovered first time I drove the TSX. The accelleration pedal is much different than that of any other car I have driven. Instead of the pedal comming down from the usual spot, it is attached to the ground and pushes down like crushing a wedge with your foot. Maybe nothing special to anyone else at all, but I think it's awsome.
Too bad it's not communicating with a REAL engine.:rolleyes:

The 4 cylinder/5 speed Accord EX with leather is "AWESOME."

It gets 26 city/34 highway on 87 octane, is 183 pounds LIGHTER than the TSX and makes just 30 less drive-wheel HP.

I'd buy the Accord (close to invoice), change out the exhaust system ("cat back") and spend another $1K on quality shocks and larger anti-roll bars. Perhaps I'd even ad a "cat forward" header.

The result would essentially be a TSX @ a bargain basement price and with lower operating costs.:D I'd invest the cost savings in an SP500 index fund.

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh shut up. You are just jealous why dont you go on an accord lovers site or something. This is a TSX club site for people who support the TSX.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Equ222 said:
oh shut up. You are just jealous why dont you go on an accord lovers site or something. This is a TSX club site for people who support the TSX.
I could buy a TSX tomorrow without even thinking about it.

I wouldn't because a 4 cylinder/5 speed Accord EX is almost as nice, almost as fast, gets VASTLY better fuel mileage (on 87 vs premium) and has a REAL WORLD, out-the-door price that is ~ $6,000 LESS.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Equ222 said:
why would you get a car that you obviously trash ever second you have? what kinda logic is that?
I wouldn't. That's why I said, "COULD" and not "WILL."

If I were in the market for a second car I'd buy the Accord EX/5 speed with leather @ dealer invoice. Actually, I'd wait until Honda's annual summer clearance and buy one BELOW invoice.

Then I'd install a quality header and cat back exhaust system, a cold air intake, larger anti-roll bars, aftermarket shocks and better speakers. $2K would cover all of that and I'd still be ~ $5K ahead of the game (vs buying the TSX).

Additionally, I'd get VASTLY better MPG on just 87 octane!:D

G

·
harddrivin1le said:
I wouldn't. That's why I said, "COULD" and not "WILL."

If I were in the market for a second car I'd buy the Accord EX/5 speed with leather @ dealer invoice. Actually, I'd wait until Honda's annual summer clearance and buy one BELOW invoice.

Then I'd install a quality header and cat back exhaust system, a cold air intake, larger anti-roll bars, aftermarket shocks and better speakers. $2K would cover all of that and I'd still be ~ $5K ahead of the game (vs buying the TSX).

Additionally, I'd get VASTLY better MPG on just 87 octane!:D
Personally, I find the new Accord very ugly. I was actually considering it at one time because the interior isn't so bad. But in the end, I couldn't see myself driving a car that I didn't like. But of course, this is all subjective.

Let's talk about facts then. What you said about pricing maybe true. But you also forgot to add that you'll be buying an Accord...a car that is far too common on the road now. Look around and you'll see everyone driving one...including my grandma. Sure, you can add new rims and all the other stuff to make your Accord more unique looking (and I hope you have good taste), but you still can't hide the fact that it is an Accord -- your average family sedan and it will always be regarded as such, no matter what add-ons you put inside. Luckily, there are only 15,000 TSX made this year (not sure for next few years). Also, TSX is made in Japan. The fact that it has limited production for now makes it more unique already. I have yet to see any other TSX in the city where I live.

BTW, your post reminds me of an amateur video I watched where a turbo Honda Civic beat a Ferrari 355 in a 1/4 mile. Whoop-dee-doo. Sure, the Civic is a lot cheaper and with all the mods it is faster, but I'd much rather be driving in the Ferrari. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
harddriven... obviously you know alot when it comes to cars ill admit that... you seem like a smart person, but lots of people have just been trying to tell you that performance is not everything.. And the TSX performs just fine the way it is... But as you said, it wouldnt hurt if they squeezed out an extra 20 hp on that baby..hehe :eek:

·
Banned
478 Posts
cyco-lic-no said:
harddriven... obviously you know alot when it comes to cars ill admit that... you seem like a smart person, but lots of people have just been trying to tell you that performance is not everything.. And the TSX performs just fine the way it is... But as you said, it wouldnt hurt if they squeezed out an extra 20 hp on that baby..hehe :eek:
But there are OTHERS on here that ARE claiming it's fast/they DO care about performance.:eek:

Actually, the TSX would be fine "as is" - IF it got ~ the same gas mileage as the 4 cylinder/5 speed Accords (which use the same basic engine and are within 200 pounds of the TSX in weight). Then we could say, "It's not overly fast, but it gets great mileage for the performance that it can produce."

Accord on 87 octane: 26 city/34 highway

TSX on 91 octane: 21 city/29 highway

V6 Accord 6 speed on 87 octane (MUCH faster than TSX): 20 city/30 highway

Clearly, the TSX's mileage is "off."

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
But there are OTHERS on here that ARE claiming it's fast/they DO care about performance.:eek:
Yes, there are people who claim that the TSX is fast and care about performance.... however, NO ONE said that the TSX is the fastest, nor have they said they bought it purely for its performance.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
Yes, there are people who claim that the TSX is fast and care about performance.... however, NO ONE said that the TSX is the fastest, nor have they said they bought it purely for its performance.
But why does the 6 speed TSX get 5 MPG LESS City and 5 MPG LESS Highway than the Accord 4cylinder/5 speed?:confused:

Both cars use the same BASIC engine. And most of the enchancements that were incorporated into the TSX version (higher compression ratio, reduced backpressure exhaust....)should INCREASE mileage. Ditto for the 6 (vs 5) speed...

Additionally, the TSX requires PREMIUM fuel while the Accord is happy on regular 87 octane.:eek:

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
But why does the 6 speed TSX get 5 MPG LESS City and 5 MPG LESS Highway than the Accord 4cylinder/5 speed?:confused:

Both cars use the same BASIC engine. And most of the enchancements that were incorporated into the TSX version (higher compression ratio, reduced backpressure exhaust....)should INCREASE mileage. Ditto for the 6 (vs 5) speed...

Additionally, the TSX requires PREMIUM fuel while the Accord is happy on regular 87 octane.:eek:
1. The TSX engine is a modified version of the Accord's.
2. The Accord weighs less than the TSX.
3. The transmission on each car is different (different gearing).

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
1. The TSX engine is a modified version of the Accord's.
2. The Accord weighs less than the TSX.
3. The transmission on each car is different (different gearing).
The difference in weight is mere 183 pounds (EX/leather/4 cyl Accord) vs base TSX.

The TSX engine uses a higher compression ratio, a lower backpressue exhaust system, and various other enchancements that should IMPROVE efficiency.

A 6 speed SHOULD get more MPG than a 5 speed because 6th should be SOLELY a cruising gear.

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
The difference in weight is mere 183 pounds (EX/leather/4 cyl Accord) vs base TSX.

The TSX engine uses a higher compression ratio, a lower backpressue exhaust system, and various other enchancements that should IMPROVE efficiency.

A 6 speed SHOULD get more MPG than a 5 speed because 6th should be SOLELY a cruising gear.
183 pounds is not mere and will affect mileage.

Because the TSX engine has a higher compression, it requires premium fuel.

A 6-speed will ONLY get better MPG than a 5-speed if the gear ratios are identical for the first five gears.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:

Because the TSX engine has a higher compression, it requires premium fuel.

A 6-speed will ONLY get better MPG than a 5-speed if the gear ratios are identical for the first five gears.
Does your MPG fall off my 5 city/5 highway by adding a passenger (~ 183 pounds)?

Get real.

My 1LE Z28 (stripped) weighs 3,380 pounds. The Convertibles weighed in at an even 3,600 pounds and got THE SAME MILAGE (19 city/28 highway with the 6 speed).

You are correct on one thing: the 6 speed TSx is geared WRONG! It's geared such that it will accelerate with some authority from ~ 50 MPH in 5th gear. In doing so they ruin the car's MPG potential @ highway speeds.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
Honda Accord DX, 160 HP, 2.4 liter 5 speed:

curb weight: 2,989 pounds

mileage: 26 city/34 highway

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/hon...ml?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..8.Honda*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda Accord EX with leather and NAV, 160 HP, 2.4 liter, 5 speed:

curb weight: 3,109 pounds

mileage: 26 city/34 highway

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/hon...ml?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..8.Honda*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT: 120 pounds

DIFFERENCE IN MILEAGE: :ZERO

:eek: :confused:

Acura TSX 6 speed (no nav):

curb weight: 3,230 pounds

mileage: 21 city/29 highway

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acu...ml?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..8.Acura*

vs. Accord EX (per above)

DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT: 121 pounds

DIFFERENCE IN MILEAGE: 5 city/5 highway In favor of the Accord) :p

Your argument carries NO WEIGHT (pun intended).:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is ridicules!!!

sublime3sixteen posted a message about TSX's accelleration pedal, and immediatly harddrivin1le highjacks the message and turns it in to debate on his single-minded argument.

TSXCLUB, are you going to do something about this? This is the first TSX club I joined and enjoyed, but I got tired of harddrivn1le, and move on to another site where more topics on TSX are discussed. I come back here now and then, but I just get reminded why I left the site.

I wish you would do something about harddrivin1le if you want this site to be useful for TSX owners and enthusiast. Otherwise, people will move on to other sites.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
lets all relax and try to get along.. harddrivin1le I have nothing against a person posting his oppinion but I think people here have got the point that there are many cars better,faster,cheaper then the tsx but people still like the tsx because of looks and many other features.

So please lets try to keep posts to a certain level and start discussing stuff about the tsx rather then other cars.

Thanks,

·
Banned
478 Posts
Re: This is ridicules!!!

TSX_CA said:
sublime3sixteen posted a message about TSX's accelleration pedal, and immediatly harddrivin1le highjacks the message and turns it in to debate on his single-minded argument.

TSXCLUB, are you going to do something about this? This is the first TSX club I joined and enjoyed, but I got tired of harddrivn1le, and move on to another site where more topics on TSX are discussed. I come back here now and then, but I just get reminded why I left the site.

I wish you would do something about harddrivin1le if you want this site to be useful for TSX owners and enthusiast. Otherwise, people will move on to other sites.
Why don't you place me on your IGNORE list?:confused:

Why did you get so upset by the fuel mileage comparison between the TSX and the 4 cylinder/5 speed/EX/leather Accord?:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
sublime3sixteen said:
I like it, too. I think it's less tiring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts