Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking into buying an accident TSX and fixing it up. There isn't too much mechanical damage- the rear rim got damaged but it still drives fine. Other than that there is a bunch of body work needed and the curtain + passenger side airbag went off as well.

I'd plan on replacing the rear suspension parts/getting a new rim for it and fixing the rear quarter panel to get it on the road and then slowly doing the rest of the stuff (I can live with a scraped up bumper while I source parts). The car is a 2005 TSX with 90k miles on it.

What I want to know mostly is how much do you think a shop would charge to fix that quarter panel and how much you guys would pay for the car as it.

Thanks!

Pictures: TSX - Imgur

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,750 Posts
Both bumpers look like they can be reused from the pictures. it doesn't seem to be that bad but the damage was done a little while ago (3months+) from the rust i see. its an easy fix but requires labor and the areas of rust would need to be treated as well. just the body work alone without the airbags i'd usually charge about $1,200 for all that work. i'd say try finding the replacement airbags from eBay or VinVestors. as for the price to pay consider if the vehicle is also a clean or rebuilt title and average that factor into the cost of the value minus the damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! The car is not branded so it still has a clean title btw.

I'm going to try to get quotes from shops but I don't know how keen they will be on giving me a quote based on pictures without actually seeing the car.

As for the airbag, I've found those on ebay for ~$150 and at junkyards for $250. So with sensors and a computer reset I'm hoping I can do it myself for under $400. I'm also going to be using the car for commuting to work alone so I don't mind leaving those for a while until I can find a good price.

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Based on the pictures... every body panel minus the roof will need painted after the body work, so everything blends properly.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,750 Posts
Based on the pictures... every body panel minus the roof will need painted after the body work, so everything blends properly.
well depending on how good the paint it all the body shop would need to do is use a blender to blend it to keep the cost down on his end also. but in this case i'd recommend most customers to spend the couple dollars more and just redo the whole car but not worth it IMO unless the car is being bought at a steal.

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Air bags deployed, id stay away from it, chassis probably isnt straight as well. The air bags alone are 1-2k. Not worth it IMO.
He's claiming he can buy the ones that deployed (curtains) for ~400... which seems cheap for muliple bags... I figured one alone would be that...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm getting quoted roughly $3k for the body work (not including the rear bumper which I'm going to try to source). I'm guessing another $1500 in parts so if I can get it for 5-6k less than the going rate I think I'll go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
He's claiming he can buy the ones that deployed (curtains) for ~400... which seems cheap for muliple bags... I figured one alone would be that...
Each side is actually only one bag, its continuous from front to back. Theres no way hes getting them for 400.

If your gonna go to a junk yard to replace a safety part that could possibly save your life your a......need I say more?

Also if your insurance company finds out they will most likely drop you instantly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know of a great car repair shop that can help you find spare parts. The shop is called Westside Auto Pros and they are located in Des Moines, Iowa. You can visit their website, Westside Tire Center | Tires Des Moines IA | car inspection Clive IA | Wheel Alignment Service 50325 | Wheels Des Moines IA | Tire Repair Clive IA, to schedule an appointment. Alternatively, you can call 515-309-1252 for questions and advice.
^---- Spam for added SEO benefit, mods you should delete this post and ban this guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.