Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura Aims New TSX Sports Sedan at Affluent Young Males
DETROIT — When a new product makes its world debut, some presenters get long-winded, endlessly extolling the vehicle’s virtues and character. Richard Colliver took the opposite approach today at the North American International Auto Show, wasting no words and getting right to the point when introducing Acura’s latest sports sedan, called the TSX.

Colliver, who serves as the executive vice president of sales for Honda’s luxury division, let a video presentation tell a lot of the TSX story. Packed with the usual loud music and blazing graphics, the video pointed out the sedan’s 200-horsepower engine, the six-speed-manual transmission, the double-wishbone suspension and its 17-inch alloy wheels. In the words of the video announcer, the TSX promises its buyers “pure, unadulterated exhilaration.”

This model will be Acura’s “gateway sports sedan,” Colliver said. “Every aspect of this vehicle has been designed with performance in mind.” Slotted between the existing RSX sports coupe and the 3.2 TL luxury performance sedan, the TSX will be officially launched in April 2003 as a 2004 model. In many ways, it’s similar to the Honda Accord that’s sold in Europe.

Occupant protection includes dual-stage front airbags, side-impact airbags with a passenger-sensing system and side curtain-type airbags. Vehicle Stability Assist and traction control will be offered as standard features.

A drive-by-wire throttle is used for the 2.4-liter, dual-overhead-cam four-cylinder engine, which cranks out 166 pounds-feet of torque at 4,500 rpm. An i-VTEC intelligent valve-control system adjusts valve timing and lift for enhanced performance across a broad power band. Acura claims the system also boosts gas mileage and reduces emissions. A five-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission or a six-speed-manual gearbox may be installed.

Essentially wedge-shaped in profile, the TSX features strong character lines, according to Acura. Styling cues include Acura’s familiar five-sided grille, high-intensity-discharge headlights and lower air intakes that are said to suggest racing brake ducts. The back window slopes into a short trunk lid, whose sharp termination is intended to help air separate cleanly from the rear of the car as it moves at highway speeds.

Inside the cockpit, the seats are upholstered in perforated leather and the three-spoke sport steering wheel contains integrated audio and cruise controls. Dual-zone automatic climate control, keyless entry and a power moonroof will be standard. The 360-watt premium audio system includes a six-CD changer and eight speakers. Acura’s available navigation system operates with voice recognition.

Marketers plan to target young and affluent customers, Colliver explained, who are “successful and discriminating” and may be in transition from college life to maturity. With a median age of 33, the typical buyer is expected to have an $80,000 yearly income. Sixty percent of customers are likely to be male.

Competitors include the Audi A4, BMW 325i and Lexus IS 300. Acura intends to produce about 15,000 TSX sports sedans each year. Prices are expected to fall into the $25,000 to $30,000 range, and the vehicle goes on sale in April.
—Reported by Jim Flammang for cars.com;
Images by Casey Spring for cars.com
additional images courtesy of the manufacturer

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ok, But I have a question. The question is how many of us on this forum are affluent young males/females, and how many are older than 35???

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
holy moly another blast from the past :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I am 23, though I'll be turning 24 in December.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
<--- Just turned 35 :wavey:
Funny thing (sort of)......I remember you said a while back that it had been a hard year for you. Whenever someone asks me what's the best age, the first thing I think of is "34" -- but that was actually one of my hardest years too!

I still think "34" is the best age.
Theoretically. :donno:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
larchmont said:
I still think "34" is the best age.
Theoretically. :donno:
Well as you said Larch 34 was not a good year for me, and I very much welcome 35
Joker - who is looking up :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Ray sure has been posting alot lately ;) :laugh:
Hmmm...Joker's got 10 years on me :nervous: :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Ray sure has been posting alot lately ;) :laugh:
Hmmm...Joker's got 10 years on me :nervous: :D