Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TORRANCE, Calif., April 3 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2004 Acura TSX sports sedan will be priced at $26,490 for both the 6-speed manual model and the 5-speed automatic model, when it goes on sale today at Acura dealers nationwide. The Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition is the only available factory- installed option and is priced at $2,000.
The all-new Acura TSX sports sedan combines a 2.4-liter, 200-horsepower engine, drive-by-wire throttle control system and race-bred suspension with an ergonomic interior filled with the latest technology to deliver performance, refinement and style. Slotted in the Acura lineup between the RSX sports coupe and the 3.2 TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX is designed to compete with other premium sports sedans from Europe and Japan.

The body of the TSX offers best-in-class aerodynamics and crisp sports sedan lines. The interior is sporty yet refined with modern LED-illuminated instrumentation, intuitive controls, and a long list of standard luxury amenities including perforated leather seating, leather-wrapped three-spoke sport steering wheel with integrated audio and cruise control switches, dual-zone automatic climate control, power moonroof, 360-watt Acura 8-speaker Premium Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, power windows and door locks and keyless entry.

2004 Acura TSX Highlights:
--------------------------

Powertrain
----------

-- 2.4-liter DOHC i-VTEC aluminum alloy 4-cylinder engine
-- 200-horsepower at 6800 rpm and 166 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm
-- Drive-by-wire throttle system
-- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
-- Choice of 6-speed manual transmission with magnesium housing or
5-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift
-- LEV-2 exhaust emission control system
-- 110,000-mile tune-up interval

Chassis
-------

-- 4-wheel-independent double-wishbone suspension with multi-link rear
-- Torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
system
-- 17-inch alloy wheels with V-rated all-season performance tires
-- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control
-- 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Features
--------

-- Dual-zone automatic climate -- Steering wheel-mounted audio
control system and cruise control switches
-- Perforated leather seating -- Tilt and telescopic steering
-- Power moonroof column
-- Heated front seats -- Keyless entry system with window
-- 8-way power driver's seat with controls and panic button
adjustable lumbar support -- High Intensity Discharge (HID)
-- 360-watt 8-speaker Acura headlights
Premium Sound System -- Optional Acura Navigation System
with Voice Recognition

Pricing for 2004 Acura TSX
--------------------------

-- TSX with 6-speed manual transmission $26,490
-- TSX with 5-speed automatic transmission $26,490
with Sequential SportShift(R)

-- Acura Navigation System $2,000

Destination and handling charge $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Acura

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine Type

Aluminum Alloy in-line 4-cylinder

Displacement (liters)

Horsepower (SAE net)

200-hp @ 6800 rpm

Torque

166 lbs-ft @ 4500 rpm

Valvetrain

16-Valve, DOHC, i-VTECTM

Redline

7100 rpm

Compression Ratio

10.5:1

Fuel System

PGM-FI Multi-Point Injection

Injection System

Electronic Direct

Throttle Control

Drive-by-Wire Throttle System

Emission System

LEV-2

Cooling System Capacity

Manual: 5.4 U.S. quarts (5.3 liters)

Automatic: 7.4 U.S. quarts (7.3 liters)

Crankcase Refill Capacity, including filter

4.2 U.S. quarts (4.0 liters)

Body Type

Unit Body

Suspension

4-Wheel Independent Double-Wishbone/Multi-Link Rear

Stabilizer Bars, diameter (front/rear)

26.5 mm / 14.0 mm

Steering Type

Variable Power-Assist Rack-and-Pinion

Brakes: 4-Wheel Disc with ABS (front/rear)

11.8-inch ventilated/ 10.2-inch solid

Wheels

17-inch Alloy Wheels

Tires

P215/50 R17 93V All-Season Radials

Acura Navigation System with Voice RecognitionTM (available)

360-watt Acura Premium Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and 8 speakers

Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control System

Sport seats with perforated leather trim interior

Driver's 8-way power seat with adjustable lumbar support

Heated front seats

Leather-wrapped steering wheel

Theft-deterrent system with electronic immobilizer

Cruise control

HomeLink® system

Power moonroof with tilt feature and sliding shade

Power windows with driver's auto-down/up with auto-reverse

Power door locks with key-operated windows down/up feature

LED illuminated instruments

Titanium-finish console and door trim (Ebony and Quartz interiors)

Simulated wood-grained console and door trim (Parchment interior)

Leather-wrapped aluminum gear shift knob

Tilt and telescopic steering column

Steering wheel-mounted controls (cruise, audio and voice activation)

Front door storage compartments

Driver's and passenger's seatback pockets

Covered in-dash storage compartments

Dual trip meters

Exterior temperature indicator

Front center console with adjustable armrest, storage compartments and coin holders

Rear-seat center armrest with dual beverage holders

60/40 split fold-down rear seatback with lock

Carpeted floor mats

Stainless steel door threshold trim

Remote trunk release

Remote fuel-filler door release

Lockable glove compartment with light

Interior ambient console lighting

Progressive self-illuminating gauges

Illuminated power window switches and ignition switch

Cargo area light

Dual 12V power outlets

Dual overhead map lights

Driver's and front passenger's illuminated vanity mirrors and driver's side card holder

Sunglass holder

Digital quartz clock

Maintenance interval reminder

Dual beverage holders (front and rear)

Driver's and front passenger's dual-stage airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS)

Driver's and front passenger's side airbags with front passenger's height and position sensors

Side curtain airbags

3-point adjustable-height seat belts with load limiters and pretensioners (front)

3-point seat belts at all seating positions

4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS)

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control

LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child-seat mounting system

Impact-absorbing crumple zones (front/rear)

Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights

Rear window defroster with timer

Front side-window defoggers

Side-impact door beams

Collapsible steering column

Breakaway inside rearview mirror

Automatic day/night rearview mirror

Impact-absorbing interior surfaces

Safety glass

Child-proof rear door locks

Adjustable seat headrests (front and rear outboard positions)

Non-protruding switches and controls

Automatic transmission interlock feature

MP3 Player or Cassette Player

All-Season Floor Mats, Front & Rear

Steering Wheel, Wood-Look & Leather

Interior Trim, Metal-Look

Interior Trim, Light Wood-Look

Trunk Tray

Luggage Net

Engine Block Heater

TSX Automatic

5-Speed Automatic with Sequential SportShift,(TM) Grade Logic Control and Lockup Torque Converter

TSX Manual

Optional: Close Ratio 6-Speed Manual with Magnesium Transmission Case

Gear Ratios

TSX Automatic

TSX Manual

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

Reverse

Final Drive

EPA Estimated Fuel Mileage (city/highway)

Manual: 21/29* mpg

Automatic: 22/31* mpg

Fuel Tank Capacity

17.1 US Gallons (65 liters)

Recommended Fuel

Premium unleaded 91 octane or higher**

Minimum Ground Clearance (unloaded)

6.2 in (157.5mm)

Curb Weight

Manual: 3230 lbs (1465 kg)

Automatic: 3318 lbs (1505 kg)

Manual with Navigation System: 3241 lbs (1470 kg)

Automatic with Navigation System: 3329 lbs (1510 kg)

Weight Distribution (% front/rear)

Manual: 60/40

Automatic: 61/39

Headroom (front/rear)

37.8 in (960 mm) / 37.3 in (947 mm)

Legroom (front/rear)

42.4 in (1076 mm) / 34.2 in (868 mm)

Hiproom (front/rear)

54.4 in (1381 mm) / 54.4 in (1382 mm)

Shoulder room (front/rear)

55.4 in (1406 mm) / 53.5 in (1360 mm)

EPA Passenger Volume

91.0 cu. ft.

EPA Cargo Volume

13.0 cu. ft.

* Preliminary EPA mileage estimates determined by American Honda Motor Company, Inc.. Final EPA mileage estimates were not available at the time of printing. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage may vary.

** Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance.

Power-operated, body-colored outside mirrors

Keyless entry system with remote-down windows

17-inch alloy wheels

Auto-off headlights

Body-colored door handles with chrome trim

Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass

Galvanized body panels

Body-colored front and rear bumpers

Speed-sensing, intermittent windshield wipers

Integrated rear glass antenna

Dual-outlet exhaust

Vehicle: 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty*

Outer body rust-through: 5-year/unlimited-mile limited warranty*

Accessories: 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty**

2.4-literI-4 engine: No scheduled tune-ups required for 110,000 miles***

* Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain other items are excluded. See your Acura dealer for the terms and conditions of limited warranties.

** When installed at the time of new-vehicle delivery.

*** Does not apply to fluid and filter changes or periodic inspections. Please refer to the maintenance section of your owner 's manual to determine all appropriate maintenance intervals.

Moonroof Visor

Car Cover

Full Nose Mask

Door Visors

Door Edge Trim

Wing Spoiler

Front Under Body Spoiler

Side Under Body Spoiler

Rear Under Body Spoiler

17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels (3 designs)

Splash Guards

Fog Lights

Chrome "A" wheel emblems - set of 4

Gold "A" wheel emblems - set of 4

Wheel Locks

Gold Emblem Kit

Attachments

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rAiN said:
ahhh... expensive...
well gatta test drive it tho

i was expecting 20k ~ 25k
Yea preety expensive will be test driving mine next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How would we tell Acura they should lower it? I mean the price is almost a TL, what's stopping us for opting for that? There should be a difference of price range so they can attract more custumers especially those with a smaller wallet :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Acura is not worried, with only 15k units to sell, they will all sell. As for the price difference between the TL and TSX, this too shall pass.

With the TSX filling the gap as the new "entry level" luxury sedan (the role that the TL previously had), I'd bet when the TL is redesigned and available by end of year, it will be priced and marketed higher up.

I've got my test drive scheduled for Saturday and will be curious to see the differences.

If my hunch is right, the TL will be "discounted" by dealers by around mid summer and by way of factory to dealer incentives. Honda has never offered factory to consumer rebates. My assumption is based on the premise that the new TL willl be repositioned higher in content, performance and price. Look for Honda to reposition the TL as an Infinity G35 competitor, more horsepower and 6-speed manual.

Most will see the opporutnity to buy the current TL as a "good deal," especially compared against the TSX. Of course once the new TL becomes available, then those people may start kicking themselves for not waiting? But the price will be higher and so you have to weigh it all and figure out what your really want and what you can afford.

·
Registered
6 Posts
keep in mind that this TSX is not expensive compared to the competition (IS 300, A4, S40 and some 3 series). Is the price real close to the TL...yea, but a base TL is $29,480 and a base TSX is $26,990. So there is a small gap, but the new TL is going to be in priced towards the low to mid 30's i would guess. For the money, this is a great car compared to the few I mentioned above. Also...how many people have an A4 and IS and 3 series. This is a chance to get something that not many people have. Also, Acura isn't for people with a small wallet in general. That's why there are honda's.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
dudevolley,

You bring up some good points, but keep in my mind that the TL is at the end of its current lifecycle and I don't know where you live but out here no one is paying anywhere close to list price. So with the TSX as a brand new model and the TL ready for a redesign, you could see some pricing overlap or at least very close.

G

·
is the accord not faster and cheaper?

Granted, not cheaper by much, but the accord coupe V6 EX 6-speed has more power and a very similar look. Compare the two, feature by feature, on the acura site using the comparison link. They're very close.

Major differences seem to be the bigger engine vs the longer warranty and name.

It surprises me that acura is listing this car for more than the ex v6 6sp. Given the choice, I'd probably opt for the extra horses and save a few hundred bux.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: is the accord not faster and cheaper?

phlsteve said:
Granted, not cheaper by much, but the accord coupe V6 EX 6-speed has more power and a very similar look. Compare the two, feature by feature, on the acura site using the comparison link. They're very close.

Major differences seem to be the bigger engine vs the longer warranty and name.

It surprises me that acura is listing this car for more than the ex v6 6sp. Given the choice, I'd probably opt for the extra horses and save a few hundred bux.
I agree with you on this one i mean the car is 27k and its a 4 cyl.. will let you guys know how the test drive goes. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
Re: is the accord not faster and cheaper?

phlsteve said:
Granted, not cheaper by much, but the accord coupe V6 EX 6-speed has more power and a very similar look.
how in the WORLD can you say they have a similar look?
Accord is UUUUUUUUUUGLY compared to TSX
Coupe OR Sedan...

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's higher than I thought it would be. I was expected about $22-$25. But I took a test drive yesterday and it was NIIIIICE!! It comes with SO many really good standard features. I love the LED gauges. The car feels good and steady when I drove it. Excellent pick-up speed. And the SOUND SYSTEM!!......that doesn't even sound like a factory system if you ask me! It's the best factory sound system I've EVER heard. I brought a few a my CDs to test it out. Like I said, I'm not too thrilled about the price, but I think it's worth it now that I've taken a drive in it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Funny how real world driving doesn't always equal written specs?

·
SoyBoy
140 Posts
It's higher than I thought it would be. I was expected about $22-$25. But I took a test drive yesterday and it was NIIIIICE!! It comes with SO many really good standard features. I love the LED gauges. The car feels good and steady when I drove it. Excellent pick-up speed. And the SOUND SYSTEM!!......that doesn't even sound like a factory system if you ask me! It's the best factory sound system I've EVER heard. I brought a few a my CDs to test it out. Like I said, I'm not too thrilled about the price, but I think it's worth it now that I've taken a drive in it.
Did U drive the manual or sportshift?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Accord is UUUUUUUUUUGLY compared to TSX
Pehaps you are correct when comparing the Sedans. However, the coupe is another matter altogether. The Coupe is one helluva sharp looking car.

One the other hand, the TSX's styling is rather bland. Even the Audi A4 and BMW 3 series look better.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
OK, just got home from my test drive and here's my two cents.
Drove both the auto and manual back to back and while the auto is nice, still prefer the manual. The 6-speed has a more direct feel to it and seems to help acceleration somewhat, at least that's my perception.

Now for the not so great news... both cars are competent, well balanced and have good features. But I never felt either would be confused for a high performance model (Type-S). But the more I thought about it I realized that even though these are Acura badged, they are in essence a Honda Accord. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but they are no threat to BMWs or Audis.

And in case anyone out there is sitting on the fence as I was about the merits of the TSX vs an Accord V6 coupe with 6-speed manual, here is something to chew on. In case you haven't checked recently, we went straight to the Honda dealers after our test drive while the TSXs were still fresh in my mind to do a test drive with Accord 6-speed and found out that they are in such short supply, dealers can't hardly get them.

The dealer I went to just happened to have one and told me due to the shortage, they were getting $2K over list! And that was the Fleet department, the retail department is getting $4K over list. So guess what boys and girls, unless you think a $30K Accord Coupe makes a lot of sense, without Navi, you may want to rethink the TSX, or possibly the TL? Hardly seems like a contest at this point.

·
SoyBoy
140 Posts
And in case anyone out there is sitting on the fence as I was about the merits of the TSX vs an Accord V6 coupe with 6-speed manual, here is something to chew on. In case you haven't checked recently, we went straight to the Honda dealers after our test drive while the TSXs were still fresh in my mind to do a test drive with Accord 6-speed and found out that they are in such short supply, dealers can't hardly get them.

The dealer I went to just happened to have one and told me due to the shortage, they were getting $2K over list! And that was the Fleet department, the retail department is getting $4K over list. So guess what boys and girls, unless you think a $30K Accord Coupe makes a lot of sense, without Navi, you may want to rethink the TSX, or possibly the TL? Hardly seems like a contest at this point

I've been sitting on that fence for too long. If that bit of info is true about the V6 6spds, then I'm leaning back a little more to the TSX now. A 30K V6 Coupe doesn't sound as nice now. :mad:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
im just glad im not needing to buy a car right now.. cuz by the time i'm ready to buy i figure prices will have evened out a little bit...

:D

·
SoyBoy
140 Posts
I'm hitting 180K on my accord and still going strong. I pulled up to a 98 red civic with some white multi spoke 17s and a sport exhaust. Made eye contact for a split second and when the light turned green we both mashed the gas and went for it. He kept up for about three seconds but when I hit 5rpms in third gear my car blew past his. Not an exciting race story, but I was excited that my car screamed at 5rpms and creamed his newer model civic w/his sport muffler. I didn't think I could get that car, all stock automatic 92 Accord, to hit 5rpms and pull past him so fast . I had to give a show because the guy smurked when I pulled up to him and besides he had on some decals that made his car look ugly. I'm not hating on any civic drivers. There are some clean and FAST civics out there but most are done with 2 foot spoilers,altezzas tails, and ugly kits that don't match the car.
Point of my story is that I think I can put another ~50Kmiles before that car starts to break down and that waiting till the end of the year stinks because I'll see some TSXs and Accord Coupes that I'll be jealous of but not so much that I would go out and buy one without shopping around and trying to get the best deal.
Not expecting to get a deal on a TSX at the end of the year if I can even find one then, but I think it will be worth the wait for the Accord.
If anyone is interested in a clean and reliable
( sometimes fast ) 92 Accord LX get ahold of me. I'm the second owner and the first owner was a lady that used it to commute to work daily and put on about 90K. New distributor, new radiator, replacing both half axles very soon, fairly new rotors and brakes, very punctual with oil and filter changes, hoses and belts replaced recently, new spark plugs and fairly new ignition wires, 65K Firestones w/ 15K on them, all electric and mechanical things work well, and never was in a accident or driven eratically except when provoked by cars in its' class. Since I'll have the car another year I was thinking of getting new shocks, struts and springs. (I can email pics and the sort for anyone that is interested). Otherwise I need to save my money and see what kind of deal I can get at the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts