Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

By Donald I. Hammonds, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Can car companies undergo personality changes?

You bet.

Have you seen the newest Acura models, the TSX and the TL? They're nothing like any Acura you've ever seen. Bold, brash, in-your-face and not particularly subtle, these cars are so edgy and menacing in an alluring way that you'll swear there's got to be an automotive Dr. Frankenstein behind the curtain pulling the switches at Acura.

Acuras no longer are quiet, subtle cars that are "safe" choices. Nowadays, Acura distinguishes itself by being at the forefront in technology as well as styling. And things are just getting good -- wait until you see the all-new RL next fall. It's a knockout.

For now, when you visit your Acura dealer, take a look first at the TSX. This is Acura's entry-level luxury sedan with a decidedly blade-like appearance, sleek profile and technology that bristles. Power comes from a 200-horsepower, 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine, and for a front-wheel-drive car, the TSX handles quite aggressively. It corners as if it's on tracks, and the brakes are among the best around.

Standard equipment includes a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic with manual shift option, dual zone air conditioning, anti-skid system, and anti-lock brakes, curtain side air bags, front side air bags, traction control, full power, and enough other goodies to place it at the front of the pack.

And the wonder of all this is that it comes at a reasonable price. Base prices start at $26,490 without navigation and $28,490 with it. Fuel economy is 21/29 with the manual and 23/32 with the automatic.

The TL is the midline luxury model, but there's nothing middle of the road about this front-wheel-drive performance machine. The aggressive grille features headlights and frontal design that look like an angry snarl, and a character line along the flanks of the car draw the eye to that lowered side profile, with fat tires and aluminum wheels.

If you're a sound and tech freak, this is the ride for you. The sound system is incomparable, with a ground-breaking DVD-audio capability in which each instrument in your music comes from a different speaker. It's like sitting in the midst of a symphony orchestra. It also has a HandsFreeLink system that allows you to use your cellphone and keep your paws on the steering wheel at the same time.

Performance is terrific with a 270-horsepower, 3.2-liter V-6, which gets 20/30 miles per gallon in the city and on the highway, respectively, with the six-speed manual. If you get the five-speed automatic, expect 20/28 miles per gallon.

Prices range from $32,650 to $34,650.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04168/332338.stm

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
jcg878 said:
does this guy work for Acura??? The article's as fair and balanced as Fox News.
:D :D :D

Yes. I didn't mind the bias though. :)

I especially like how he said to take a look at the TSX first. :cool:

Actually I don't think it's "changing" personality, just going back to the true one.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
The TSX brakes are among the best around?

Fox News: we report, we decide.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
The TSX brakes are among the best around?

Fox News: we report, we decide.
Yes. I remember we saw something like this being said in another write-up recently. And it's obviously not true.

But, as you might remember from what we said on the "Dainty Rear-Brakes" thread, the brakes apparently get better after a little while (brake-in? :D ). I'm much more impressed with the brakes now than when I first got the car. So they might be (somewhat) better than you think.

But "among the best around"? :jeffy:

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
I would hope that any $26,000 production car would have ABS. I doubt the Mazda3 was in that price range.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
I would hope that any $26,000 production car would have ABS. I doubt the Mazda3 was in that price range.
Right. But (I think) they're trying to market it as a high-high-quality car in whatever category it's in, and (I think) they're basically doing a good job of that.

And "no ABS" doesn't fit in with that IMO.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Acuras no longer are quiet, subtle cars that are "safe" choices.

I never considered the NSX, Integra GS-R or Type-R a "safe" choice. :)

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
sjlee said:
Acuras no longer are quiet, subtle cars that are "safe" choices.

I never considered the NSX, Integra GS-R or Type-R a "safe" choice. :)
don't forget the RSX-S and the fullon use of 6 speed tranny throughout the lineup...probably option on next gen RL too. They should offer a Brembro brake package on all 6-speed cars or something to fix the Honda sub-par-across-the-board brake issues. Maybe if we are all "loud" enough Honda/Acura will listen...obviously they have listened on the TL.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Right. But (I think) they're trying to market it as a high-high-quality car in whatever category it's in, and (I think) they're basically doing a good job of that.

And "no ABS" doesn't fit in with that IMO.
The Dodge Viper got ABS in 2001. So now even a $81,890, 500hp car will have ABS. Toyota still makes ABS an option on some models for some reason. 8ut I think Honda even offers ABS on motorcycles.

As for the TSX brake problem, since the rotors and calipers are decent sized I'll guess it's Honda's choice of pad materials. Anyone tried aftermarket pads yet?

I'm sure the TSX brakes are "well-broken in" by the time the car mags return the test cars to Honda. If there are any brakes left!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
jcg878 said:
does this guy work for Acura??? The article's as fair and balanced as Fox News.
Yeah, just like CNN is...right? :rolleyes:

BTW, nice article! :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
larchmont said:
IMO they're tilted basically the same way, just less.

Larchmont, who likes tilting with HondaMan.
True (more or less). ;)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
HondaMan said:
Yeah, just like CNN is...right? :rolleyes:

BTW, nice article! :)
You're gonna love this, HondaMan.

In Dude, Who Stole My Country?, Michael Moore recants a conversation with Tim Robbins where the latter says, "Why are conservatives so angry? They have control of the White House, both houses of Congress, and 3 of the 4 cable news networks??"

I've been trying to figure out what the 4th one is... my guess is CNN.

jcg, who wonders why there aren't more political debates here now that we have a bona fide Dubya fan :rolling_e

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Ferg said:
It certainly was not! Still, it kinda bothered me that I wasn't told that they weren't ABS brakes. After 2 cars without ABS, I've finally gotten used to having that feature, and it seems to me that it's a very basic characteristic of the car that the driver should probably know. I knew because I slammed the brakes for the hell of it :rolling_e

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
jcg878 said:
You're gonna love this, HondaMan.

In Dude, Who Stole My Country?, Michael Moore recants a conversation with Tim Robbins where the latter says, "Why are conservatives so angry? They have control of the White House, both houses of Congress, and 3 of the 4 cable news networks??"

I've been trying to figure out what the 4th one is... my guess is CNN.

jcg, who wonders why there aren't more political debates here now that we have a bona fide Dubya fan :rolling_e
LOL...I bet it is CNN as well. However, Tim Robbins is an idiot...3 out of 4 my ass...maybe 1 out of 4 and the libs have 3 out of 3 of the big 3 i.e. CBS, ABC and NBC! Don't get me started on Michael "I hate America" Moore! :mad:

If we debate I will be greatly out numbered, but I will give it a go & try to win one for the Gipper! :)

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
HondaMan said:
If we debate I will be greatly out numbered, but I will give it a go & try to win one for the Gipper! :)
"We" have ONE cable network, ONE national newspaper and ONE radio network. The libs have the rest. This is kinda like Custer at the Little Big Horn.

Except that the 7th Cav has been winning the battle this time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts