Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am sure U all have noticed that on our car, the word "Honda" is on all of the window glass. I never understood this especially since Lexus does not say "Toyota"

Anyhoo, while I was @ the dealer getting my car serviced I noticed the new RL actually says "Acura" instead of "Honda" but the 05 TLs & TSXs did not. Any ideas why?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Probably because Acura uses alot of the same parts as in their Honda cars around the world... Like the TSX is the Euro Accord...so why waste money to change it to Acura on their windows...and other parts (headlights, taillights, etc). My guess is since the RL is their flagship, they'd want to give it more "prestige" or whatever and to differentiate between the two brands.

IMO of course :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Exactly that above. Actually on the entry models Lexus, Toyota is labelled everywhere in the car.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX69 said:
I am sure U all have noticed that on our car, the word "Honda" is on all of the window glass. I never understood this especially since Lexus does not say "Toyota"

Anyhoo, while I was @ the dealer getting my car serviced I noticed the new RL actually says "Acura" instead of "Honda" but the 05 TLs & TSXs did not. Any ideas why?
Very very interesting observations -- nice get, t69!

BTW I don't think I ever noticed that on the TSX.
Maybe mine has "authentic" Acura glass. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
It could be because the RL windows arnt the same size as any of the Honda models

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Write in said:
It could be because the RL windows arnt the same size as any of the Honda models
I wondered about that....actually what I wondered was whether maybe the RL is a rare example of an Acura that doesn't have any "Honda" equivalent or precursor.
i.e. That it's truly something brand new, and unique to Acura.

If that's true, I think it's not only a rare example, it's a first.

I think we've wondered about this before, but don't remember if anybody knew the answer.....

Larchmont, who also wonders if Write In might be someone we know from another site.
i.e. That he had an equivalent or a precursor. :D

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
Isn't the Acura RL the Honda Legend in Japan?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Revenent said:
Isn't the Acura RL the Honda Legend in Japan?
Yes -- I checked it out, and indeed it is.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/honda-legend.htm

Actually it seems this is sort of a "half and half" situation, because that particular "Legend" wasn't a pre-existing car, or a precursor; looks like it came out at the same time as the RL. That's unusual (maybe unprecedented); usually the Honda version existed elsewhere for a while, then was brought to N.A. as an "Acura," generally (if not always) with some modifications that could reasonably be considered upgrades.

But yes indeed -- since the car does exist as a Honda, there must be "Honda" windows of the same size.
Except I suppose it's theoretically possible they're not exactly the same size. :donno:

P.S. From that link, it seems that the TL is an Acura with no "equivalent or precursor" Honda. Yes, it was based on the N.A. Accord, but that's not what we're talking about.

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
Yeah, I looked that up too.

I thought the old TL was called the Inspire in Japan, but the current Inspire pretty much just looks like the USDM Accord V6.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Revenent said:
Yeah, I looked that up too.

I thought the old TL was called the Inspire in Japan, but the current Inspire pretty much just looks like the USDM Accord V6.
yes USDM Accord = JDM Inspire

old TL = JDM Saber

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Interesting, however, I will pose this philosophical question. Why cannot Acura become a honda and not vice versa??

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Noel said:
Acura is Honda, but Honda is NOT Acura ... Period.
yeah....Honda made Acura... Acura came from Honda... Without Honda...there wouldn't have been Acura... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts