Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At a press conference in early February, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito shocked the world's media when he nonchalantly revealed plans to launch a detuned production version of the V8-powered HSV-010 race car. Of course, he was referring to a road-going variant of the NSX successor project, which was shelved several years ago.

As it turns out, the next NSX (which is expected to be powered by a 400-plus hp V-8) features heavily in the company's renewed plan to pump out as many as 3 sports cars over the next several years.

Just over 6 weeks ago, a killer earthquake and tsunami threatened to cancel this about-face from Honda, and rob us of some of the most exciting news to come out of Japan since the Nissan GT-R surfaced three years ago.

But a reliable source close to Honda tells us that while these plans have been postponed as the company sorts out its parts supply problems, they are not dead in the water. In the last few weeks, we have been hearing that Honda is working on a high performance coupe powered by a 3.5 liter V-6 plug-in hybrid, a concept that Ito himself briefly mentioned.

The rebirth of the Acura RSX, the car you see pictured here in an artist's representation, is also on the near-term agenda. According our sources, the next-gen RSX will inherit a version of the just-launched 9th-generation Civic Si's 201 hp, i-VTEC 2.4 liter gas engine with slick 6-speed manual and helical LSD. Fitted with specially tuned sports suspension, the new RSX will also employ an interior inspired by the current Civic Type R and an exterior in a sharp, wedge shape.

Further down the line, Honda is also said to be developing a "more reasonably priced" C-segment sports coupe. Driven by a strong request from North American Honda dealers, this coupe is being developed with that market in mind and will incorporate Accord hardware.

1 other concept that we have covered before and awaits the results of Honda's so-called "R-evaluation executive session" is a successor to the Beat. The original Beat was an open-top 2-door, mid-engined 660cc minicar that could rev to 8500 rpm, and the next generation promises to be a new interpretation of that concept with a 1.3 to 1.5 liter gas engine. If built, don't expect the Beat to come to the U.S. We have also heard rumors of a hotter CR-Z getting a 190 hp-plus 2.0 liter gas unit, but that's all we have at the moment, rumors.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
there needs to be something exciting from Honda to keep them on the rader..otherwise I and most others will be heading elsewhere

·
Registered
585 Posts
? I don't think that looks like the TT at all.

The front end takes its roots from the TL, and the sides remind me of the Accord coupe and CR-Z.

And they won't give up on that front grill....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
if it looks ANYTHING like that concept, im not buying another honda/acura ever again. that would just be a waste of a chance for a come back.

·
n/a
8,573 Posts
are they seriously going to use the k24 tsx engine for the civic si AND rsx? overall shape of the rendering reminds me of the accord coupe. looks w/e. it'll look way different if/when the vehicle will be in production. the sketch of the tl looked way better on paper than it did in full production. lol

·
Registered
972 Posts
there needs to be something exciting from Honda to keep them on the rader..otherwise I and most others will be heading elsewhere
I don't think Honda is worried about creating excitement or a buzz around their brand. It is already established - globally, at that - as a reputable car manufacturer. To add further value, Hondas are also recognized as the cars that won't cost you your left leg and testicle should something serious go wrong, which rarely ever happens.

However, it is nice that they are keeping up-to-speed with the recent craze in high power output sports car manufacture that appeal to a broader demographic of buyers - just below or above $100k.

·
Registered
972 Posts
are they seriously going to use the k24 tsx engine for the civic si AND rsx?
Yes - the Civic Si powered by a K24 engine is already in production. Expect the third generation TSX to come only in a V6 variant - although this is only my speculation.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Sounds promising, the K24 is rock solid so naturally it would go into the new RSX.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Acura CRZ.

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
6 speed, K24 and LSD from the factory are all very good signs. Go back to your roots, Honda. I'll stay with you if I can, but the way you've headed the last couple of years I am German-bound...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It would be great to see the rsx k24 to have more technology in it to differ itself from the civic si. The way I see it, the civic si is a fun econo car. The RSX should be a more fit and sound car. It should have great interior quality like the TSX to differentiate it from the civic si. I'm sure it would add weight but if the k24 in the RSX received more technology like direct injection and different heads to raise the revs as well as power output/fuel economy for a heavier car, I think honda will start to fix it's line-up. This would also justify the higher price of the new RSX from the civic si.

·
You see me? I CU2
171 Posts
That artist rendition looks like it came straight from Akira, looks kinda cool tho, front is clearly TL, Door is straight RSX, and the rear 3/4 looks like a squished up accord coupe.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
like the idea of bringing it back, i don't like that concept art.

kill it with fire!

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
It should be rwd too!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do not like. It looks like a ZDX and a TL got drunk one night, hooked up, and got the TL knocked up. Ooops.

:puke:

I thought they got rid of the RSX because of too much market crossover with the Si. Now they want market crossover again? I think they should get rid of the Si, if people want a civic, they want it because its cheap and efficient. At least it used to be before it became their 'performance' car.

Of course, if they do make it, they'll get it just wrong. Expect FWD, perhaps hybrid, 5spd auto. You know how Honda rolls now, smiling happy face hybrid Mazda wannabes. They're making their traditionally small cars bigger, and filling the gap with (many) cars which are getting progressively smaller. Civic is now bigger then an accord used to be, and the Fit is no longer the smallest they offer.

If they paint it yellow and stick a tail on it, it'll be saying 'pika pika!'

1 - 20 of 27 Posts