·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Date: June 24, 2013 21:31
Submitted by: JeffX
Source: Ben Cheah
Credibility Rating: Not Specified​

Ben was cruising through Death Valley over the weekend and spotted some BMW i8s being tested. Intrigued, he followed them into a parking lot and found a group of Honda and Acura(?) test mules along with a new 2014 MDX. 1 of them appears to be some sort of Accord V6 variant, but this heavily camo'd 1 could be an early mule for the 2015 Acura TLX.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left Lane News

Acura has begun shakedown testing of its upcoming TSX mid-size sedan. Set to replace the current TL within the Acura lineup, the TLX should make its concept debut sometime during 2013.

Compared to the current TL, the TLX will shrink in size in order to clear room between it and Acura's range-topping RLX sedan. As it stands, the flagship RLX is just 2.1 inches longer than the mid-level TL.

The TLX is expected to ride on a modified version of the Honda Accord's platform, which will allow for the nameplate's 1st-ever hybrid drivetrain. The standard TLX, however, will make use of Acura's latest 3.5L direct-injection V6, which is good for 280 horsepower under the hood of the RLX.

Honda will initially stick to its tried and true 6-speed auto for the TLX, but we hear a 7-speed dual-clutch unit could eventually join the mix.

Stylistically, look for the TLX to shed the TL's sharp edges in favor of the softer edges 1st seen on the RLX sedan. The TLX will sport the latest iteration of Acura's shield grilled, as well as the company's new signature Jewel Eye LED headlights.

Acura will likely introduce the TLX as a thinly veiled concept at an auto show before the end of the year, with the production version of the car poised for an early 2014 introduction.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Looking for the dimensions of the TLX!!
If anyone finds out length, width, etc., please shout it out!

I imagine we'll know by the time of the NAIA Show (Jan. 13-16) if not before....

Also, will it have 'power folding mirrors'? (If it does, you can squeak through narrow spaces easier. That matters -- if you like being able to squeak through narrow spaces.) :eek3:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larchmont

We will know dimensions soon enough thank goodness. All gossip says that it will fall between the current TSX & TL - something larger than the ILX but smaller than the RLX.

Acura cannot afford to get this car wrong or even lukewarm (like the RLX). The sales of the TL & TSX are plummeting after being on the market for 6 years & the ILX & RLX are not quite blockbuster hits either.

Power folding mirrors would be nice but Acura is always selective with what options they share, so I would not get my hopes up. For instance, ventilated seats are not available on lower level vehicles and a heated steering wheel is only an option on the MDX. Hopefully they will offer everything they can (an advance package) on this vehicle.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thanks! And I'm 'afraid' you're right about the size being between the current TSX and TL. That seems like the logical thing. But I'm not sure it would be the smartest thing. At least it's not what would get me to buy it.

I have the 1st gen. TSX, and IMO they already blew it by making the 2nd gen. car bigger. I've been wishing that the TLX will be smaller than the current TSX, i.e. bringing it back closer to the original one. I know it's unlikely, but unless they do that, well, then I've got to try to make my '04 last another 200,000 miles. :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
The current ILX is almost gen 1 TSX size. Too bad its so unappealing :( If they had a rebadged euro civic as the ILX, similar to how they did a rebadged euro accord for TSX I think they would have something worth considering.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
They are dropping the euro accord, I believe, hence no TSX

The TLX is going to be based off the new accord platform.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FB Vid

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152119432752410&set=vb.85299287409&type=2&theater​

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow

It does not debut until 11am EST tomorrow. In the meantime, a teaser pic from social media:

·
189 Posts

Completing Acura’s sedan lineup and continuing its new technology push, the all-new TLX model has been revealed today at the Detroit Auto Show with the choice of either an eight-speed or nine-speed automatic transmission.

While technically a concept, true to tradition the car is a thinly veiled version of the production model.

Replacing both the TL and TSX the TLX is 3.8 inches shorter than the current TL but mirrors that car’s 109.3-inch wheelbase. As a result, it fits right into the middle of the ILX and RLX in the brand’s three-car sedan lineup.

The big news, however, is what’s under the hood. Surprisingly it’s not the engines but two all-new transmissions. Rather than the six-speed automatic or even the new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, Acura will offer either an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission or nine-speed automatic.

SEE ALSO: 2014 Detroit Auto Show Coverage

The TLX will also be available with two engines and with either front- or all-wheel drive. A new direct-injection 2.4-liter four-cylinder that Acura promises is “significantly lighter” than the brand’s previous 2.4L will come mated to the eight-speed DCT, while a 3.5-liter V6 gains the new nine-speed automatic.

Both engines will be offered in a front-wheel drive package with Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (or P-AWS).

As for the all-wheel drive models, they will come exclusively with the V6 and nine-speed and the latest version of the brand’s SH-AWD system.

It isn’t surprising considering the multi-geared transmissions, but Acura is claiming fuel economy for the car will be class-leading.

SEE ALSO: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Review – Video

To maximize driver enjoyment, the TLX will come with another Acura first called the “Integrated Dynamics System.” The system will deliver four driving modes to better customize the drive: ECON, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus. Each drive mode will adjust the settings for the electric power steering, throttle response, SH-AWD and P-AWS control logic, transmission shift timing and the Active Noise Control setting.

A long list of safety and convenience features will be available including a collision mitigating braking system, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist, a blind spot indicator and adaptive cruise control with a low-speed follow function.

On display in Detroit the TLX Prototype is shod in a stunning Athletic Red Pearl paint and features Acura’s signature Jewel Eye LED headlights and big 20-inch wheels wrapped in wide 265/30ZR20 tires.

The TLX production model could debut as early at the Chicago Auto Show next month with an on-sale date for the 2015 model year car set to come later this year.
2015 Acura TLX Revealed With 8 or 9-Speeds » AutoGuide.com News

1 - 20 of 140 Posts