Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
This guy made a few videos about it - NW_ innovations

Been a while since i watched it but if memory serves the HVAC controls are very slow and inconsistent on the new head unit with lots of other minor but annoying issues.

You can read user reviews on amazon, Also $600 is way too much. I've seen it under $300 occassionally on ebay/amazon - Amazon.com: 10.1inch Android 6.0 Car Radio DVD Stereo For For Acura TSX 2004-2008 GPS Navigation Support Steering Wheel control full touch 1024X600: Automotive

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've learned the hard way to just save your money and get a bluetooth dongle with external mic- mount your cell phone on the AC vent and call it a day. and get a backup camera that's integrated into your rear view mirror. all of the aftermarket HVAC solutions for the TSX are horrid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
With Evident on this one. I follow the big TSX FB groups and they're littered with people asking for help after installing these cheap china android units. Most have HVAC issues like fan speed not working, AC not blowing cold, stuff like that. You really don't want a cheap chinese head unit controlling your HVAC. Imagine driving your family home in a storm and your defroster won't work.

If you really want a android head unit, hack up a non-nav head unit, keep the OEM HVAC controls, and mold a tablet over the old stereo faceplate like this thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also with Evident on this one. There are excellent bluetooth options nowadays. Going from my Tsx to an Accord Ex-l I ran into the exact same problem. The best Solution I have found is the FIIO BTR-5 bluetooth reciever/headphone amp. It has all the latest bluetooth audio codecs (including Aptx Hd) for the best sound. It has a built in mic so calls can be handled through it and an available car mode that turns it on when the ignition is turned on. There is a FIIO app that gets you controls like equalization, separate audio and call volumes etc. It is a true headphone amp so it puts out a higher voltage signal and even has a balanced outputs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also with Evident on this one. There are excellent bluetooth options nowadays. Going from my Tsx to an Accord Ex-l I ran into the exact same problem. The best Solution I have found is the FIIO BTR-5 bluetooth reciever/headphone amp. It has all the latest bluetooth audio codecs (including Aptx Hd) for the best sound. It has a built in mic so calls can be handled through it and an available car mode that turns it on when the ignition is turned on. There is a FIIO app that gets you controls like equalization, separate audio and call volumes etc. It is a true headphone amp so it puts out a higher voltage signal and even has a balanced outputs.

Have you looked at any of those cheap ebay dongles that plug to the back of your oem head unit? the FIIO does look nice (I had a FIIO MP3 player from 2010, it was awesome). My concerns are how well does the car mode work, i've had other bluetooth to aux or fm adapter in the past including an anker one that was suboptimal. Also if the FIIO device is processing the bluetooth sound (amp etc) and then passes it on via aux to the head unit the head unit will also do some processing as well which may make it not sound the best either. Here's an example of what i found: Bluetooth/Interface-Adapter Music Aux Module With Mic For Honda Accord Odyssey | eBay

I currently have a metra dash kit w/ an alpine ilx-207. the head unit is great and actually sounds very good connected to just the oem amp and speakers. I've had it up to my head however with the damn AC controls. i'm either freezing or sweating to death. I also hate that it's not illuminated at night!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you looked at any of those cheap ebay dongles that plug to the back of your oem head unit? the FIIO does look nice (I had a FIIO MP3 player from 2010, it was awesome). My concerns are how well does the car mode work, i've had other bluetooth to aux or fm adapter in the past including an anker one that was suboptimal. Also if the FIIO device is processing the bluetooth sound (amp etc) and then passes it on via aux to the head unit the head unit will also do some processing as well which may make it not sound the best either. Here's an example of what i found: Bluetooth/Interface-Adapter Music Aux Module With Mic For Honda Accord Odyssey | eBay

I currently have a metra dash kit w/ an alpine ilx-207. the head unit is great and actually sounds very good connected to just the oem amp and speakers. I've had it up to my head however with the damn AC controls. i'm either freezing or sweating to death. I also hate that it's not illuminated at night!
The sound of the BTR5 is superior to the average dongle because it is designed for higher end headphones. The sound from the Btr 5 is better than the sound from my Lg V35’s headphone jack. I left all the factory settings as is so there is no modification of the audio. In all honesty, the car mode works about 97% of the time but since the unit is sitting within easy reach in the center cubby it’s easy to turn it on manually.
I would be wary of that Ebay unit, there are more well built units out there. I would recommend Autospec’s unit since I owned a non bluetooth version in the past and it was well built:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts