Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you may know, I recently purchased an 06 TSX. There has been no problems with it whatsoever. When I bought the car, I was given three keys.
1st key = main key (set as mode 1)
2nd key = spare key (set as mode 2)
and 3rd key = valet key (silver key)

The problem that I am having is that my 1st key is able to start the car BUT my 2nd key is not. This is the same with the valet key.

I put the 2nd key into the ignition and attempt to start the car but the car will not allow itself to start. But when I remove the second key and try the first key, I can turn it on without a problem. This also goes for the valet key which will not allow me to start the car, and when I remove the valet key and put in the 1st key it works!

I am very confused at this and would like to know if anyone has a solution to this, before I start making calls to my local mechanic/acura company.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like your immobilizer is preventing the other key to work. Im not sure where you bought your car, but you might need to reprogram those keys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its defnently the immobillizer. You need to take the spare and velet key to Acura Dealership for them to program the 2 keys. Seems like previous owner or used dealership either made a copy of the main key and had them only program in the main key.

Just go to acura and tell them that you recently purchased the car and that you would like to get your spare keys programed into your car. They might do it out of courtesy. Thats what they did for me when I needed my HFL BT password reseted. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically, I just need a mechanic to reprogram the sensors in the immobilizer so that it recognize the other two keys? I hope I don't have to pay a lot of money since I just recently bought this car XD....nonetheless thanks for you guy's help!!

Anyways I'll see if this theory is correct and I'll report back asap

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its defnently the immobillizer. You need to take the spare and velet key to Acura Dealership for them to program the 2 keys. Seems like previous owner or used dealership either made a copy of the main key and had them only program in the main key.

Just go to acura and tell them that you recently purchased the car and that you would like to get your spare keys programed into your car. They might do it out of courtesy. Thats what they did for me when I needed my HFL BT password reseted. Good luck.

Also what is the HFL BT ? I'm not sure what those acronyms mean haha.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Before you go and spend a bunch $$ on programming keys check your Acura dealer you got your car from and ask if they have any random tsx keys, they may have your real keys. When I got my tsx my acura dealer gave me too many keys(extra valet) So like me its possible you have been given the key to another TSX and they have yours there.

HFL BT= Hands Free Link Button, its your Bluetooth

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before you go and spend a bunch $$ on programming keys check your Acura dealer you got your car from and ask if they have any random tsx keys, they may have your real keys. When I got my tsx my acura dealer gave me too many keys(extra valet) So like me its possible you have been given the key to another TSX and they have yours there.

HFL BT= Hands Free Link Button, its your Bluetooth
I wish you posted sooner. I went to get my key's reprogrammed yesterday and they are working fine as of today. Unfortunately though I had to pay $100 to get my keys fixed :(

But I told the private seller I bought the TSX from and she was generous enough to split 50/50 on the keys. Thanks guys!

·
-
1,597 Posts
Make sure you test everything, including the spare keys, in any used vehicle purchase.

The spare keys not working is very strange as the security key configuration is something that can be easily lost.
I guarantee the previous owner knew the spare keys were not working prior to the sale.

Someone has been monkeying around with your car prior to you purchasing it. Either the immobolizer was replaced or the ECU or someone was playing with the ECU key config with a dealer scanner.

It could be nothing or the keys were copied & other keys configured for the car prior to you buying it. Did the dealer erase all the key configs in the ECU prior to programming your own 3 keys again?

Again , it could be nothing but since the previous owner kept this information from you it's very suspicious. This would be setting off alarms in my head if the car was mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you test everything, including the spare keys, in any used vehicle purchase.

The spare keys not working is very strange as the security key configuration is something that can be easily lost.
I guarantee the previous owner knew the spare keys were not working prior to the sale.

Someone has been monkeying around with your car prior to you purchasing it. Either the immobolizer was replaced or the ECU or someone was playing with the ECU key config with a dealer scanner.

It could be nothing or the keys were copied & other keys configured for the car prior to you buying it. Did the dealer erase all the key configs in the ECU prior to programming your own 3 keys again?

Again , it could be nothing but since the previous owner kept this information from you it's very suspicious. This would be setting off alarms in my head if the car was mine.
I managed to take it the the Ball Acura here in San Diego, National City. And they took care of everything. They reprogrammed my keys for me but I'm not sure if they broke into my ECU. I just knew they gave me a new car remote for the 2nd key and the 1st key still had the old remote.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts