Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

The TSX isn't a huge seller, so the 224 owners who've signed up to help so far (up from 106 when this was first posted) aren't a bad showing. But to provide solid results for every model year we need more participants.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
If I have had 0 problems since I got the car in 2006, can I backdate to previous months/years and improve those stats as well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And that's why the main survey only collects data going forward!

There is a second survey for people who want to post complete repair histories, but the results of that one aren't analyzed because they're prone to bias.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
Well, it sounds like this would be beneficial to our members, so I think we can make this thread into a "sticky", but you'd need to at least provide a snapshot of the results in this thread, every quarter. Just a simple visual graph would be sufficient. Otherwise, I don't see much benefit for our members.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the offer.

I'm not sure about a graph, but I can certainly post the results each quarter. I've being doing this for quite a few other forums that sticky a thread.

I've also listed such forums (with a link to the forum) in a few different places on my own site, and would be happy to do the same for this one.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
Excellent. I can probably make some graph from the results you provide, then.
Would you prefer to keep it as a sticky in the General Car Topics, or in the General Maintenance /Car Care ?

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Ahh, so it'll be accurate for 2008 and on...trying to knock consumer reports off its pedestal?

I keep a record of my maintenance items listed on Honda's Owner's Link. I'll join if and when I upgrade my car

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can join at any time--it doesn't matter if you've owned the car a day or ten years. The results always cover the previous year of owners' experiences.

I've been posting results for some model years for a while now, but with very small sample sizes. The latest results for the 2006 Acura TSX were based on responses from 15 participating owners, with an average of 8.5 months of data on each car. Even with the small sample size, though, the reported repair rate of 19 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year (0.2 per car) is in line with a few other Honda models, and clearly better than the average.

I asterisk the results and make them visible only to members until there are 25 responses, so if additional owners join from this forum, it could really help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peregrine said:
Excellent. I can probably make some graph from the results you provide, then.
Would you prefer to keep it as a sticky in the General Car Topics, or in the General Maintenance /Car Care ?
Please keep the thread in the general forum. Placing it in a problem-oriented forum might distort the results.

Added you to the forum table in my database, which will display the forum in a number of places on the site. Including the main page for the TSX:

Acura TSX information

Also, each time current panel members who own a TSX complete the main survey, they'll be asked if they're an active member of this forum.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just posted the latest results. As requested, I'll also post them for the TSX here.

Neither result is publicly visible on the TrueDelta site, and even members see an asterisk, because too few people participated.

The results:

For the 2006 TSX, 26 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, about half the average.

For the 2004 TSX, 72 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, maybe a bit better than the average.

With more participants, we could provide more precise results for all model years.

Vehicle reliability research

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated results just posted.

No result is publicly visible for the TSX on the TrueDelta site, and even members see an asterisk, because the sample sizes were very small. Very much need more participants, for all years.

The results:

For the 2006 TSX, 24 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, about half the average.

For the 2004 TSX, 69 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, maybe a bit better than the average.

With more participants, we could provide more precise results for all model years.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
mistergib
68 Posts
I purchased my 2005 TSX new in mid-year 2005. It has seen the
shop one time for the "headlight lens clips install" recall. Also, my
console door mechanism broke, so I replaced it.......other than
that, this car has been flawless in the almost 4 years that I have
owned it. I have just turned 17k miles on the clock.

What a GREAT and reliable automobile....!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've released results based on owner experiences through the end of September. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2004: 60, a bit better than average, but a small sample size

2005: 116, worse than average, but a very small sample size; based on the other results, the actual repair rate for the 2005 is probably about half this number

2006: 18, much better than average, and the only year with a (barely) adequate sample size

2007 and 2008: insufficient data

Clearly, additional participants are very much needed.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to participate:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I dont really care to join but I do have an issue. I have had my '09 TSX Navi for 4 months now and the brakes squeek, I took it to the dealership when I got the oil change and the guy says he hears it too but unfortunately, there is nothing they can do and they called it "natural" I thought his response was bullshit so I roll in a '09 TSX with squeaky brakes for now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. Repair rates, in terms of repair tripis per 100 vehicles per year:

2007: very small sample size, but significant that no repairs reported

2006: 24, better than average

2005: 81, about average, very small sample size

2004: 63, about average, maybe a bit better; small sample size

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. Additional participants would be very helpful. Only for the 2006 did we have a sufficient sample size. So the other results are asterisked and visible only to members on the site itself.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the TSX:

Acura TSX reliability comparisons

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
it's not unusual for the brakes to squeek. I have Hawk ceramic pads and even these squeak under certain conditions. The real concern would be if they always squeak, no matter what condition (summer, winter, etc.) and especially if the steering wheel vibrates while braking (warped rotors).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've updated the results for the TSX to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 15, better than average, but very small sample size

2006: 17, better than average

2005: 58, about average, very small sample size, actual repair rate probably lower based on other years

2004: 34, better than average

A big thank you everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We've updated the results for the TSX to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 13, better than average, but very small sample size

2006: 16, better than average

2005: 61, about average, small sample size

2004: 56, better than average

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Hello all. My 05 TSX Auto has 143k on her as of today. I did an oil change just recently and was surprised at the amount of oil that came out. Now this is my second oil change and I tend to be very meticulous. When I drain the oil, I drain both the oil pan and oil filter for 10 minutes. To the point there is no dripping. I then open the oil cap to release any possible pressure and wait a few more minutes, nothing ever really comes out at this point but its just to make sure all the oil is out. I then put oil plug back in, along with a new filter, and fill her up with new oil. I recycle my oil, so I pour the used oil into the 5quart jug, which i clean out with a little gas while i wait for the oil to drain. Today when I filled it up from the oil pan, it filled to just under the 5 quart mark. I find this to be pretty impressive. A lot of miles but almost no burn off. My previous vehicles both burned about .5 to .75 of a quart every 3k miles. The one burning .75quarts was a 96 honda oddessy with 300k miles. I guess I'm writing this up to brag for us honda owners and to give you lower mileage cars something to look forward to. have a great day.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts