Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted any pictures on the board in a while so sorry for the large pictures

I saw this post on another forum http://tl.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861739
The TL guys were adding the 2013 RDX caliper covers for the rear TL brakes

So I thought I'd give it a try on my wifes 05 TSX

I drill and tapped the front brake caliper, then painted the caliper black to match the RDX cover's

[/URL][/IMG]

I used a small stainless steel screw and lock washer

[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a picture with my stock wheels

[/URL][/IMG]

I did the rear brakes, the RDX caliper cover is the size of the rear caliper

The rear brakes being alot smaller then the front, there wasn't a good spot to drill and tap the caliper covers to the rear caliper.

[/URL][/IMG]

So reading the post above the OP had used RTV to attach the caliper cover to the caliper

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Picture of the end result with the summers on

The RDX caliper part number :
45218-TX4-A00 = $2.27 CDN each you'll need 4 if doing front and rear brakes

Only the front covers were drilled and tapped, and at only 1 mounting point as per the picture above

And again the rear were secured using high temp RTV I would have liked to have at least "1 " mounting point but didn't have a spot on the rear caliper to drill into.

The caliper cover it self like the picture above snaps right onto the rear caliper, the RTV just makes it secure to the caliper. It's been a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues with the caliper covers once the RTV cured.

As for changing the pad's there's still enough room to work on the brakes without issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am interested in this because I was planning on painting the calipers, but these covers look nice without being gaudy and cheap like some aftermarket options. Is is necessary to drill directly into the caliper as opposed to the brackets? I'm wondering if this will interfere with removal of the caliper for pad/rotor replacement?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drilled the front caliper and used a small screw that was the thickness of the "area" that I drilled into.

Removing the screw will give you access to the pad's. But since our front caliper's weren't designed for the caliper cover you they don't really fit in the same manner as they were designed for.

They sit a little high on the caliper so access to the pad's isn't an issue with the caliper cover still on the caliper

Here's another picture to give you an idea of where the caliper cover sits on the caliper

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
15 Posts
They're cheap enough that I think I'll order a set and try them out. I'll call the local dealership to get an idea of price to avoid having to wait for them to be shipped, plus a friend of mine gets parts discounts so that should help.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Whoa that is not bad! Totally interested.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
So if I were to use the RTV, would I still be able to change brake pads without removing the caliper cover?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I were to use the RTV, would I still be able to change brake pads without removing the caliper cover?
Yes you should be able to, there's more than enough room to remove and replace the pads.

The piston how ever needs that "square" tool to be fitted onto the "hash" marks in order to be turned, to push the piston back in. That process will be slightly challenging

[/URL][/IMG]

Not impossible but not as easy with the caliper cover now covering the front side of the caliper

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Yes you should be able to, there's more than enough room to remove and replace the pads.

The piston how ever needs that "square" tool to be fitted onto the "hash" marks in order to be turned, to push the piston back in. That process will be slightly challenging

Not impossible but not as easy with the caliper cover now covering the front side of the caliper
you don't need to use that tool on the rear brakes... just use a pair of needle nose pliers, spread open... they work just as good to turn the piston

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you don't need to use that tool on the rear brakes... just use a pair of needle nose pliers, spread open... they work just as good to turn the piston
Nice good to know, I've only ever used the "tool" but if the needle nose works then you should have more room to work with while the "caliper cover" is attached to the brake caliper.

And yes there is no function, just cosmetic. I just think it has a "cleaner" look to it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks nice...the front TSX calipers use the front caliper parts from the RDX, and the rear TSX calipers the rear parts for the RDX?
Hmmm I'm not sure if the two car's share any brake components,
This is just somewhat of a "retro-fit" project. Making a part from another car somewhat work on another car.

The "part" is just the caliper cover from the newer RDX, the cover is "only" on the front caliper of the RDX. So 4 front caliper covers will work for all 4 calipers of the 1st Gen TSX.

I only bought 2 covers to play and test fit if they would work, I did one front and one rear. Once I was happy with how they turned out I went back to the stealership and ordered another 2 to do the other side of the car.

I'm sure someone else will figure out another way to attach the caliper covers to the brakes, but as of now I'm happy with the look. (It’s just for looks)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks!

I realized the nature of this just didn't understand the rdx only had these covers on the front...didn't know if there were different pieces for the rear.

Anyway I think it looks great, good work! If you had the front calipers disassembled do you think you could drill and tap holes for the other two mounting points?

Hmmm I'm not sure if the two car's share any brake components,
This is just somewhat of a "retro-fit" project. Making a part from another car somewhat work on another car.

The "part" is just the caliper cover from the newer RDX, the cover is "only" on the front caliper of the RDX. So 4 front caliper covers will work for all 4 calipers of the 1st Gen TSX.

I only bought 2 covers to play and test fit if they would work, I did one front and one rear. Once I was happy with how they turned out I went back to the stealership and ordered another 2 to do the other side of the car.

I'm sure someone else will figure out another way to attach the caliper covers to the brakes, but as of now I'm happy with the look. (It’s just for looks)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[QUOTEAnyway I think it looks great, good work! If you had the front calipers disassembled do you think you could drill and tap holes for the other two mounting points?[/QUOTE]

Interesting question, it might be possible. The one hole in my opinion is more than enough. The sides of the caliper cover actually act as spring clips. They actually squeeze onto the center part of the TSX front caliper keeping the cover in place.

The caliper cover sort of "snap's" onto the caliper. That being the case I felt more than confident that the one hole was more than enough to secure the cover onto the caliper.

The calipers were on the car, but had I had will and the time to take them off I might have been able to drill/tap 2 more holes (but I don't feel it's necessary, just my 2 cents)

As for the rear, I'm sure if I spent a little more time I would have been able to drill at least 1 hole. It would have to be in a different spot than the mounting points on the caliper cover.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Am so happy I live in place where there no snow! Yikes thats a lot of rust I see!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.