Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the general advantages / disadvantages of a body kit and how does it react with the underbody plates?? that smooth the underside of the car?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Most of the bodykits "enhance" or changes the basic looks of the car. While there are those with functional purposes matched with other aero parts are used for improving handling or reducing drag at speeds. But I don't believe there is any wind-tunnel tested or engineered aerodynamic improvement kit for the TSX/Euro till date.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What will happen if the underbody panels are removed? how much is the coefficient of drag going to be increased? and since (according to the car mags) the tsx's top speed is drag limited, how much will it decrease the top speed?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Give it a try and tell us. :rofl:

I'll be more inclined to answer what you're trying to achieve instead.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my questions stem from an engineering standpoint. more on theory than on practicality. if none of the kits have any aerodynamic advantage than stock, they perform no function except looks. If they cut down the aerodynamic drag of the car, then what is the perceived performance gain. Just like the rear spoilers and front lips, by what percentage is the improvement, given the same set of rims, and tires...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
johnej said:
my questions stem from an engineering standpoint. more on theory than on practicality.
Being specific to the TSX/Euro, the OEM setup is ideally designed for an "all-rounded" function. I'm not saying it's good or bad but what you want to do exactly with the car will determine how much aerodynamics changes you want implemented. It's always about practicality above anything else.

What is your concern if any for the purpose of changing the standard aerodynamics lines to begin with?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
curiosity, I have an engineering degree (although Electrical Eng) and I used to work for Boeing (as i have been interested in planes) Stuff like this always gives me questions, and I just ask them. As I stated in my previous message more on theory.

And since this is the correct forum I just thought I would ask....

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
I was reading a japanese article about an interview with Honda accord engineers, the accord aka tsx cl9/cl7 have one of the lowest coefficient of production based vehicles.. to be more exact is 0.24cf versus 0.26 of most other areo cars on the market.

The only body kit known to be wind tunnel tested, is the Mugen Kit. How much does it help is another question.

The one honda is working on is called the sports study, but that is only concept...

Also note the RealTimeRacing has wind tunnel tested the A-spec kit(just cuz acura is one of their sponsors), and have had to modify it slightly as you can obviously seen.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts