Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members, I have an 04 that decided to die out on me today, I replaced the battery and it start just fine for 2 days then it die again. When I turn my keys to start, it clicks but doesnt crank, I have no idea what the problems might be...Any advice will be very much appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
try boosting the car with another car and if it starts you most likely have a charging problem, i would have a AVR test done one your car to make sure that alternator is still good or you can rip out the alternator and take to parts store and they would be able to check your alternator for you

·
Semper Fi
483 Posts
I have the same issue with my 05. It will die after not driving it for a couple of days even after a battery recharge. It starts when I get boosted so I'm going to get the alternator checked out as mentioned. I wonder if having UR pulleys combined with a system affects the charging system?

·
My car whines
637 Posts
If you are able to get another battery, start the car with everything that uses power turned on (hi-beams, blower fan, defroster, radio, etc...) and than disconnect the neg cable. If the car sputters or just completely shuts off, than your alternator is toast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a newer car that relies so much on battery power I would not disconnect the battery while it's running. There are so many sensors that rely on battery power to operate correctly . The best thing to do is have the battery charged to 100% and than check the charging system. You can also run a parasitic draw down test . I would check with batteries plus if there is one locally , they do all those things for free or a very small fee .

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
On a newer car that relies so much on battery power I would not disconnect the battery while it's running. There are so many sensors that rely on battery power to operate correctly . The best thing to do is have the battery charged to 100% and than check the charging system. You can also run a parasitic draw down test . I would check with batteries plus if there is one locally , they do all those things for free or a very small fee .

Your battery does nothing on a normal car (no heavy audio equipment) when the motor is running. Once the alternator catches the battery is just part of a parallel circuit, if you remove the battery while the car is running there will be no ill side affects. If the charging system is not working correctly the car will die. This is a very good way to test this without any equipment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a very good chance of voltage spike when you reconnect the battery on a running vehicle.

·
-
1,750 Posts
There is a very good chance of voltage spike when you reconnect the battery on a running vehicle.

^^^ Exactly.
Disconnecting your battery while the engine is running was a common problem determination step in the old days but no longer.
This can cause a voltage spike which can fry the ecu & other electronics in the car.
In fact jump starting a modern car with jumper cables can also cause a spike & fry electronics.

There are much better methods to independently test the battery. A battery load tester is one way.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts

^^^ Exactly.
Disconnecting your battery while the engine is running was a common problem determination step in the old days but no longer.
This can cause a voltage spike which can fry the ecu & other electronics in the car.
In fact jump starting a modern car with jumper cables can also cause a spike & fry electronics.

There are much better methods to independently test the battery. A battery load tester is one way.
I never said reconnect it lol, I should have said just to turn the car off once you pull the cable.

Either way though voltage spikes on modern cars are rare, the charging system has regulators onboard to prevent this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Even just disconnecting the battery from the car can cause problems. The battery does more than start a vehicle. It reduces alternating current , reduces electrical noise , and is the main power source for a vehicle . Disconnecting it will increase the load on the alternator causing an electrical spike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I replaced the starter on my 04 and it fixed the problem you are describing. I had it at the dealer for days searching for current draw and bad circuits and they could find nothing. Anytime the car sat for a couple days or even over a cold night, it would not start without a boost. The reason for this is the starter was wearing out and the cold and condensation would affect the connections inside (whatever you might call those)... but a little extra power would boost it enough to make it turn over. My point is, replace the starter, it wasnt a bad job, i used an autozone reman starter and it has been great! Car turns over faster and better than ever.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My point is, replace the starter, it wasnt a bad job, i used an autozone reman starter and it has been great! Car turns over faster and better than ever.
I may be in the US next week. How much was the Starter at AZ ?

To the point about removing the battery with the car runnning..Yes in the older days it is was a problem in the diodes in the alternator would short out due to increased current draw of the alternator seeing an open circuit (no battery). It may be lesser of a problem today but I would still never take the chance IMO. GL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.