Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. For the next step in my build, I plan to change my intake cam to an 06+ one and my VTC actuator to an RSX one. Should I do anything else while I've got the valve cover off?

I've read about changing the timing chain tensioner but can that be done without pulling the engine out?

What about the chain itself and the guides? Do those need to be changed and can it be done without pulling the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. For the next step in my build, I plan to change my intake cam to an 06+ one and my VTC actuator to an RSX one. Should I do anything else while I've got the valve cover off?

I've read about changing the timing chain tensioner but can that be done without pulling the engine out?

What about the chain itself and the guides? Do those need to be changed and can it be done without pulling the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Do a lash adjustment after the cam swap!

The TCT is a pain in the TSX, I would definitely do it if you feel you can. Make sure the motor stays in time though. The guides are cheap, if your gonna do the guides you might as well change the chain as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your adding cams you defiantly need to get Aftermarket Time Chain tensioner like hybrid racing . I made this mistake installed bc stage 2 cams and valve train and kept oem Time Chain tensioner, it makes clicking noise it sound like a old muscle car (kinda) specially when you pull up in a drive thru it can get loud.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
If your adding cams you defiantly need to get Aftermarket Time Chain tensioner like hybrid racing . I made this mistake installed bc stage 2 cams and valve train and kept oem Time Chain tensioner, it makes clicking noise it sound like a old muscle car (kinda) specially when you pull up in a drive thru it can get loud.
You most definitely do not need an aftermarket TCT, in fact its been proven a PRB TCT is the most reliable option for the k series, reguardless of the power level. Most likely your TCT was already worn, or your chain is/was stretched.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I can change the tensioner by just removing the access plate, which I need to do for the cam and VTC change anyway. tottenham12712, what do you mean when you say the tensioner is a pain in the TSX? A pain to access?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.