Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and currently looking at purchasing a 2010 Acura TSX with the tech package. The vehicle currently has 180,000 kilometers on it (111,000 miles) with an asking price of $6900. I went to look at the vehicle today and was surprised at how clean it was inside and out. Not a single dent, scrape, or bubble of rust. Just a few paint chips on the rear bumper. There were also no lights on the dash and it drove/shifted well. The owner has allowed me to take the vehicle in for an inspection at my local mechanic, but I wanted to know beforehand if there are any common issues with the 2nd generation TSX’s, or any tell tale signs to look out for.

Thank you!

·
Registered
329 Posts
4 cyl I assume? Oil consumption was an issue on 09’s and potentially some 10’s but it was more common on the early ones. If you look for excessive soot (so long as it hasn’t been cleaned off) on the exhaust “finishers”, that’s one way to tell. I don’t mean carbon residue, I mean excessive, excessive soot buildup. You can also take a peek inside the engine through the oil cap to see how “browned” the inside looks. This is not a very scientific measure of judging an engines service history but in my years, it’s suggested the quality of oil used each service and the interval. Speaking of which, if you get this car, stick to a 5k mile interval. Forget what the computer says. Acura doesn’t really specify a trans fluid service until 150k or something but I would add that to the list If it’s never been done. One with an oil change now, another with the next oil change. not a flush, btw

Otherwise, doesn’t sound like a bad price. They’re pretty solid cars

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
4 cyl I assume? Oil consumption was an issue on 09’s and potentially some 10’s but it was more common on the early ones. If you look for excessive soot (so long as it hasn’t been cleaned off) on the exhaust “finishers”, that’s one way to tell. I don’t mean carbon residue, I mean excessive, excessive soot buildup. You can also take a peek inside the engine through the oil cap to see how “browned” the inside looks. This is not a very scientific measure of judging an engines service history but in my years, it’s suggested the quality of oil used each service and the interval. Speaking of which, if you get this car, stick to a 5k mile interval. Forget what the computer says. Acura doesn’t really specify a trans fluid service until 150k or something but I would add that to the list If it’s never been done. One with an oil change now, another with the next oil change. not a flush, btw

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I took the vehicle to an independent repair shop to get get an inspection done and they put the vehicle on a lift and looked underneath to check for any leaks as well as the condition of the suspension, brakes, etc. They concluded that the brakes would need to be replaced soon but not urgently. They also noted that the transmission fluid was low. Something else I should mention is that on the way to get the vehicle inspected, I noticed a whining noise every time we accelerated from a stop (Almost sounded like an R/C car). I thought it might be the transmission and I even mentioned this to the mechanic there, but he simply said it could be because the fluid is low... whatever that means. Regarding the oil consumption issue you mentioned, I have heard quite a lot about it and how these vehicles can suffer from that issue. and and to be completely honest, that was my one concern, but unfortunately, that issue will not come up during an inspection. I like your advice of checking the exhaust tips for excessive soot build up. That’s something I did not think about. Regarding the oil, there is a service sticker on the windshield noting that a service was done at 175,XXX km, but not sure what service was exactly performed. The vehicles odometer currently reads 178,XXX km. Do you think I should go for this vehicle or look for another one? I didn’t notice anything abnormal when we drove almost 40 minutes to the shop and back, apart from the whining noise. Also, the tech package makes this vehicle quite desirable as it is the only one for sale in my area equipped with it.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I need to make a decision by tomorrow as I have put a deposit on the vehicle and will lose it if I back out of the deal. But I would rather lose $260 now instead of discovering later on that I bought a lemon. I have attached a picture of the rear end of the TSX for you to see if you can possibly spot the “soot” you were referring to. I know the picture is at a horrible angle and it will grain as you zoom in further, but please try to see if you can spot something unusual.
Thank you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey, sorry for the late reply! I don’t check this but once or twice a week. The finishers look like they have some sooty residue but from this pic, not nearly what I’ve seen in the past.

Did you end up buying it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, sorry for the late reply! I don’t check this but once or twice a week. The finishers look like they have some sooty residue but from this pic, not nearly what I’ve seen in the past.

Did you end up buying it?
Hey, no worries. I appreciate your contribution to this thread. I actually did end up buying the vehicle and just took delivery yesterday. The color combo along with the tech package was just too rare to give up in my opinion. I did take a quick look at all the things you mentioned in your previous post before handing over the cheque, just to be on the safe side, and everything did check out. The car started up fine in the cold, even after being parked for more than a day, which hopefully points at the fact that it doesn’t have the infamous VTC actuator problem. I wasn’t too sure what to look for in-terms of the soot you mentioned, but there definitely wasn’t an abnormal amount which is good. So far after taking delivery, everything has been normal. I absolutely love the way this TSX looks and drives and could not be happier with my purchase! I will keep you updated in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts