Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TSX community,

I was wondering about the quality/reliability of aftermarket door lock actuators. Normally, I'd stick with OEM, but given that they've been prone to failure, I was wondering if anyone has found aftermarket units to of better (or equivalent) quality..?

As one example, the youtube notes of this DIY thread indicate that a Dorman brand actuator was used. Can anyone comment on the quality of Dorman or other brands? Any chance that they're just re-badged OEM units?

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
How much cheaper could it be? I bought the oem one for $20... Unless you're looking for a better quality product... Then im not sure how aftermarket ones chalk up to oem since oem does seem to fail pretty quickly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, definitely wondering about the quality rather than price, as some aftermarket are actually priced higher than OEM.

BTW, where did you get the OEM for $20? Must be one awesome supermarket... :laugh:

·
Controlling Destiny
334 Posts
The dealer price for the actuators is only about $27. If you tell them that it's a VERY WELL KNOWN problem/defect, they will discount it at least 10%, bringing it to a little more than $20.

It's pretty well documented that these actuators last around 5 years or so.

I had the dealership replace my passenger side front actuator (under warranty), and I changed my driver side front actuator myself (out of warranty) about a month ago. It's not difficult, and doesn't take very long. If you're able to do it once, you can do it again very quickly at any time in the future. I would stick with OEM on this (even though the engineering is TERRIBLE), because of the guaranteed fitment.

Trust me, it's knowledge worth having, and you'll feel great after you do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info.

There was never a question of whether I would DIY the job. (I've taken apart doors on a number of other vehicles.) The only question was if there was a better quality part than OEM, so that I wouldn't have to do the job any more often than necessary.

IF OEM is the best bet :ugh:, the pricing info is certainly helpful. But if possible, I would still like to get some feedback from those who have tried aftermarket...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts