Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i install an aftermarket headunit into the little storage bin under the factory radio, will i still be able to listen to the factory radio with the cd changer and the satellite radio?

Like if i want to turn off my aftermarket headunit, and use the factory radio, is that possible?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It all depends on how you hook it up.

If you take your factory pre amp signal and input it into the aftermarket deck as an aux input you could.
You would just have to tap into the factory power, ground, remote turn on and figure a way to Y the antenna.

Why do you want to add an aftermarket deck? Are you doing a full system replacing all your speakers and adding amps?

A little more info on what the plan is and I can help you get a better idea of how to implement it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It all depends on how you hook it up.

If you take your factory pre amp signal and input it into the aftermarket deck as an aux input you could.
You would just have to tap into the factory power, ground, remote turn on and figure a way to Y the antenna.

Why do you want to add an aftermarket deck? Are you doing a full system replacing all your speakers and adding amps?

A little more info on what the plan is and I can help you get a better idea of how to implement it.
All i am doing is adding a kenwood headunit on the inside, and 2 subwoofers in the trunk with an amp. Everything else is staying the same.

EDIT: I forgot to add, i asked someone who does system installations, and they said i can't have sound output from both because there is only one wiring harness. It will have to be one or the other having sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They are kind of correct, if you weere adding a whole system you could use the factory headunits output into the aux input of your aftermarket unit and have that drive your amps to all of the speakers. The only reason to add an aftermarket head unit would be if you have something amazing with processing capabilities, wanted to add nav, or were doing a car PC.

If your just looking to add subs theres no reason to install a full headunit just for that. Pick up a line level converter for $20.00 online and tap into the rear 6X9 speakers. then you can run your subs off of that signal and still not loose your rears or the pocket under the stereo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are kind of correct, if you weere adding a whole system you could use the factory headunits output into the aux input of your aftermarket unit and have that drive your amps to all of the speakers. The only reason to add an aftermarket head unit would be if you have something amazing with processing capabilities, wanted to add nav, or were doing a car PC.

If your just looking to add subs theres no reason to install a full headunit just for that. Pick up a line level converter for $20.00 online and tap into the rear 6X9 speakers. then you can run your subs off of that signal and still not loose your rears or the pocket under the stereo.
I want to add my aftermarket headunit because i want to be able to control the LPF/HPF, turning off the subs and changing the subwoofer level etc. but i still want to be able to use my factory radio for the 6 disc cd changer and the satellite/xm radio.

So is there a way i can use both the factory radio and my headunit? Not at the same time, but one at a time when i want to change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I want to add my aftermarket headunit because i want to be able to control the LPF/HPF, turning off the subs and changing the subwoofer level etc. but i still want to be able to use my factory radio for the 6 disc cd changer and the satellite/xm radio.

So is there a way i can use both the factory radio and my headunit? Not at the same time, but one at a time when i want to change.
There would be no way of hooking up 2 decks independent of each other. The only way to do it would be to run the pre amp of the factory deck into the aux input of the aftermarket deck. But an aftermarket deck cant tap direct into our factory amps so If you are set on an aftermarket deck you would have to replace the factory amp with aftermarket amp(s) that had crossover capabilities for all 8 channels of the factory speaker system or whatever factory speaker locations you wanted to keep. Or run an MS-8 or similar processor that has these crossover capabilities.

You looking at a boat load of work to just add a sub and sub amp doing it this way and honestly it won’t make any difference in the sound quality vs. just running a line level off the rears.

Most amps will have a LPF on them and you only need a LPF for the sub. Just get an amp with a remote bass knob and a line lever converter and your set.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There would be no way of hooking up 2 decks independent of each other. The only way to do it would be to run the pre amp of the factory deck into the aux input of the aftermarket deck. But an aftermarket deck cant tap direct into our factory amps so If you are set on an aftermarket deck you would have to replace the factory amp with aftermarket amp(s) that had crossover capabilities for all 8 channels of the factory speaker system or whatever factory speaker locations you wanted to keep. Or run an MS-8 or similar processor that has these crossover capabilities.

You looking at a boat load of work to just add a sub and sub amp doing it this way and honestly it won’t make any difference in the sound quality vs. just running a line level off the rears.

Most amps will have a LPF on them and you only need a LPF for the sub. Just get an amp with a remote bass knob and a line lever converter and your set.
So basically what you are saying is, If i get an aftermarket headunit installed, my factory radio will have NO sound at all?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I explained how to do it above ^

There is no way of inputting 2 head units, or even an aftermarket deck into the factory amp. That’s why I said you would have to run the stock deck into the aux of the aftermarket deck and then the aftermarket deck into aftermarket amp(s).

The only other way of doing it would be to get an Ipod integration like the Isimple that has an RCA aux in to the factory head unit, but then you wouldn’t get signal to the sub when using the factory radio only with the aftermarket.

Your making this way harder on yourself than it has to be….

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I explained how to do it above ^

There is no way of inputting 2 head units, or even an aftermarket deck into the factory amp. That’s why I said you would have to run the stock deck into the aux of the aftermarket deck and then the aftermarket deck into aftermarket amp(s).

The only other way of doing it would be to get an Ipod integration like the Isimple that has an RCA aux in to the factory head unit, but then you wouldn’t get signal to the sub when using the factory radio only with the aftermarket.

Your making this way harder on yourself than it has to be….
So would it be best to just leave everything alone and have sound only coming out of the aftermarket headunit?

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
Why are you so stuck on having an aftermarket headunit? Your question has been answered several times over.

Either run everything aftermarket or run an ms8 and an amp that has sub control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
1,706 Posts
Because what is the point of having 2 headunits when only 1 will produce sound? And obviously the aftermarket will produce better sound.

Your thinking is a bit.flawed... Your system will only be as strong as your weakest link. There are more gains to be made.from a new amp and something like a ms8 than a headunit. And why stop there... Replace everything... Speakers, wiring etc. You need to decide how much $ and time you're looking to put in and what your ultimate goal is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your thinking is a bit.flawed... Your system will only be as strong as your weakest link. There are more gains to be made.from a new amp and something like a ms8 than a headunit. And why stop there... Replace everything... Speakers, wiring etc. You need to decide how much $ and time you're looking to put in and what your ultimate goal is.

All i want to do, is install my old headunit, amp, and subwoofers from my old car, into my new car. But i want to know if it is possible to still have sound coming out of the factory radio if i have both installed.

That is it. I don't want anything else.

·
1,706 Posts
No.
And you will need a new amp to replace the factory amp to make the aftermarket head unit work. (assuming the amp you refer to is for the subs)

·
1,706 Posts
Well you only mentioned one amp... But you would need two- one for the headunit and speakers and one for the subs. Im only going on the info you've provided... Which is all helter skelter, and trying to help you... so mind your tone & "..."

Anyways, then you're good to go! Wire it up. And consider your oem hu something that only makes your dash light up at night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well you only mentioned one amp... But you would need two- one for the headunit and speakers and one for the subs. Im only going on the info you've provided... Which is all helter skelter, and trying to help you... so mind your tone & "..."

Anyways, then you're good to go! Wire it up. And consider your oem hu something that only makes your dash light up at night.

I want to keep the factory amp hooked up to the factory speakers and radio, and i want the aftermarket amp hooked up to my aftermarket headunit and subs.

Does that make any sense now?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts