Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 四世
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told it's not ideal to run aftermarket lug nuts on OEM wheels. Can someone explain to me why this is? I'm currently running Muteki lug nuts on my OEM wheels because a while back my OEM lug nuts got stripped by a tire shop (never going back there again :tomato:). Also, is it that way for all cars and trucks, or just Acura/Hondas? I was gunna warn my buddy, cuz he's running aftermarket lug nuts on his new Accord.

· Registered
292 Posts
The OEM wheels have ball/radius recesses. Have a look at the OEM lug nuts, They have a rounded seating surface.
That's why they will often mount up crooked and give wheel shake if you're not careful.

You need conical nuts for most aftermarket wheels, otherwise your seating area is very much diminished.

· Registered
292 Posts
does that mean if i wanted to get some aftermarket wheels like these Kosei K1 TS Silver Painted i'd have to get different lug nuts? it seems that tapered / ball / flat isn't typically listed when searching for wheels.
Yeah it's pretty advisable that you do. I've been running aftermarket wheels with OEM lugnuts for a few months with no issues, but I am aware it's not ideal and check them pretty regularly. There;s been no loosening so far but I'm pretty fastidious about torquing them down.

I have some proper lug nuts on order from here.
The Lug Shack - Number One Source For High Quality Lug Nuts At The Best Prices!

I guess it's not widely advertised what sort of nut is needed as most cars have the conical type of nut standard.
Ours don't. I think Lexus runs the flat bottomed ones which are even more unusual.

· 四世
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could running incorrect lug nuts lead to noise? I've been noticing a lot of metallic clunking in the rear. I've checked my endlinks/sway bar and coilovers and everything is fit and tight.

· Registered
292 Posts
Could running incorrect lug nuts lead to noise? I've been noticing a lot of metallic clunking in the rear. I've checked my endlinks/sway bar and coilovers and everything is fit and tight.
There's no logical reason why they would unless it was through vibration if the wheels were slightly crooked, but then you'd feel that at a certain speed.
Have you checked the exhaust hangers?

· Registered
175 Posts
i went to Town Fair Tires to do alignment and tire rotation, i had stock wheels with aftermarket lug nuts. they didnt want to release my car because they would be liable with the aftermarket nuts. The lugs didn't sit in correctly in the oem wheel. they had me sign liability paper saying they would not be responsible for anything after the cars release lol.

· 四世
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went to Town Fair Tires to do alignment and tire rotation, i had stock wheels with aftermarket lug nuts. they didnt want to release my car because they would be liable with the aftermarket nuts. The lugs didn't sit in correctly in the oem wheel. they had me sign liability paper saying they would not be responsible for anything after the cars release lol.
Hmm...that's never happened to me when I go in to get an alignment...

Wowww! :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.