Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: INSTALLED 4/13/13.

Note: Apologies for the long-windedness!

This post is regarding two aftermarket yet OEM-looking GPS/Navigation/DVD etc units that i have purchased and will try in my 2012 TSX SE (i.e. No stock Nav). Why? Because in my 2008 Honda Accord, I was able to replace the information screen with a unit that spoiled me (FarenheitUSA.com - Source Units - F-81).

I purchased two different units: one from Smartauto24.com and the other from Iceboxauto on Ebay.

The unit (hereinafter referred to as Unit A) I purchased from Smartauto24 (honda spirior autoradio gps dvd navigation system) came with free panel removal tools, a free 4 gb sd card for GPS, and a not-free nightvision Camera, all chosen by me from a list of free options and a list of not-free items. (For example, you can add/pay for TV tuner or the proximity sensors. I chose not to since I wouldn't use either - though in hindsight, I thought it might be cool to have proximity sensors in the front and the camera at the rear).

The unit (hereinafter referred to as Unit B) I purchased from IceBoxAuto (Car DVD GPS 3G Internet Player RDS Honda Spirior Accord DVB T Optional | eBay) came with a free camera and a free map sd card.

Both units are 7 inch touchscreen, 800x480 resolution, Windows 6.0, DVD, GPS, have internal memory, are able to read external storage up to 32 GBs, PIP, 6 disc in-memory function, iPod/iPhone control, USB, can function with TV tuner, etc. Unit A says it will work with any GPS software, including Tomtom, iGO(Primo), Route66, Navitel, Garmin. etc. Unit B only says it supports PDA Format maps. I personally don't know what that means, but it might mean something to someone out there. GPS is probably the least required feature of the unit for me, as I tend to know where i am going and have a phone with navigation if i really need it (not being tied to a data plan would be awesome though).

Unit B also comes with a 2 yr warranty, which is why i purchased it from them rather than another place from China with a lower price. They also stated I could install the main unit and if it didn't work, i could send it back for a refund. Kudos in my book. Unit A is, according to the seller, blue and black and you can't change that. Unit B you can change the color to red, purple, or blue. Another kudos for Unit B (in my book) since I have a Milano Red Special Edition and would prefer a red background. Kudos for Unit A is that it came with a 10% discount, saving me $50 and also coming in less expensive overall than Unit B.

Kudos to anyone who actually read all of that. I will try to keep it short in the future. :worthlesss

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just today, I have received the unit from the China seller (smartauto24) and it does not look like the unit on their site. The part of the unit that fits into where we currently just have storage space does not have all of the buttons the picture shows it has. The main part of the unit that fits where our information screen goes does not have the light that says if the passenger SRS is on or not and arrived with a broken tab even though the box was packed really well. It looks like it will fit in with the stock interior, as far as the black and the feel of the plastic.

I will update with some fit and function of Unit A once the weekend comes and I have had a chance to install. I am also going to attempt to install the information unit from my 2008 Accord because if that works, than the Farenheit, power Acoustik, and Soundstream units are also fair game for us.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally had a chance to install and too many things didn't work, so I took it back out. Pros: steering wheel controls work, navigation works. Cons: usb in the center console no longer works, heater/air info doesn't show, i couldn't figure out which wire to hook up the rear view camera (cuz it is in Cantonese), and I couldn't get the navigation to be in any language but Arabic. (all of the options are English, but it reads directions in Arabic). Oh, and the background color is blue with no option to change, plus Honda logo. Sorry, no pics.

I am still pending the Australian unit, which may have some of the same issues, but should be easier to install since it should be in a language I can read! If anybody is interested in the Chinese unit, pls pm me and we will work something out. It has been bench tested obviously, and it works. The Australian unit is supposed to allow the option of choosing the background color. I know I can tap in to the usb port to make it work, as we did it on my Honda accord... but I want this to be as plug and play as possible until I know it all works. Shipping on the Aussie unit quoted 14+ days due to overseas shipping. I am at or near that, so I am hoping it will be here any day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally had a chance to install and too many things didn't work, so I took it back out. Pros: steering wheel controls work, navigation works. Cons: usb in the center console no longer works, heater/air info doesn't show, i couldn't figure out which wire to hook up the rear view camera (cuz it is in Cantonese), and I couldn't get the navigation to be in any language but Arabic. (all of the options are English, but it reads directions in Arabic). Oh, and the background color is blue with no option to change, plus Honda logo. Sorry, no pics.

I am still pending the Australian unit, which may have some of the same issues, but should be easier to install since it should be in a language I can read! If anybody is interested in the Chinese unit, pls pm me and we will work something out. It has been bench tested obviously, and it works. The Australian unit is supposed to allow the option of choosing the background color. I know I can tap in to the usb port to make it work, as we did it on my Honda accord... but I want this to be as plug and play as possible until I know it all works. Shipping on the Aussie unit quoted 14+ days due to overseas shipping. I am at or near that, so I am hoping it will be here any day.
The ac controls wont show on these unit the 2 people who did it on ********* kept the stock display and mounted it where the storage was instead of placing that dvd unit there. Another guy mounted the stock display where the sun glass storage was and fiber glassed it in. Its a shame the one you had for the accord doesn't make one for our car i was going to get that one for my wife's old accord when we had it looked like a nice unit. keep us updated on the Australian unit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know I can relocate but i would like to stay as stock as possible and I don't like how busy it looks with two screens. I know you can also tap in to the wire for the stock USB in order to use both stock and aftermarket USB plugs. I might do these things with the aussie unit, but I didn't want to make either one too permanent for now.

The farenheit unit was awesome and I very much miss it. I will plug in my stock screen from my Honda when I get everything unplugged again, just to test it... But they have different part numbers so I am fairly positive it won't work.

I am waiting impatiently for the Aussie unit!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i received the unit from australia on Monday the 8th and was finally able to tear my dash apart again today. i am also in charge of the two yr old, so i am not finished, but had enough time to hook up most wires to see what works etc.

I also hooked up the info screen from my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L that I used to have - mentioned in post 1 above. It works! The Farenheit unit and all of its brethren may be an option if someone wants to be the guinea on that. It is a great unit and I wish i had tried hooking up my info screen before i bought these two units, honestly!

Both reflect HVAC info, which wasn't guaranteed. The australian unit recognizes your stock usb plug, plus has an additional ipod plug and a separate usb plug. I think i won't be using either of those, since it recognizes the one in the center console. Fewer cables is the way to go, in my book. I am not taking my car apart to do the rear view camera today 9not with a two yr old bugging me about Blues Clues every 5 secs) and I haven't found the nav card so that doesn't work yet either.

Once my daughter's dad comes home, i am going to wire everything correctly and install this puppy for real! It doesn't seem easy to use so far, but maybe it will be easier once i am used to it. It does come with a user's manual, but i have never had to use one of those... first time for everything maybe!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right, that was difficult with a 2 yr old wanting to play with everything in the car while you are trying to install something. no, phillips do not go in key holes... :shock:

So, it is installed now. :woowoo: i am happy it is in there, i like it a lot better than the chinese unit - but that is personal preference (and i think they are both chinese units anyway). I have not yet installed the rear view camera - this unit didn't come with one, so i am hoping the camera from the chinese unit will work!

Pros: stock usb in center console works. I also installed the USB and IPOD cords that came with the unit, so i now have two USB plugs and a dedicated USB cord. HVAC is displayed (it auto hides though, not always on screen). Beautiful pic on DVDs and sounds great (through my car audio system so my bass makes the movies rock!). Duh Pros: DVD, GPS, Touch screen. it has a remote too, but my daughter thought it was a phone and now i can't find it... OY! No splicing. Bluetooth audio streaming sounds fantastic. XM works but is not displayed.

Cons: handsfree link buttons on the steering wheel do not work. I think they technically so work, but the voice that comes on when you hit those buttons is gone. my theory is that the units bluetooth has overridden the stock one. I liked the stock one, but we'll see if this is any better. My unit didn't come with a GPS card, so my navi doesn't work. I need to email the guy and ask wtf. I can't seem to change the background color, but it isn't annoying either. GUI is a little odd to get used to. The wires for the external Speaker that comes with the unit broke, so I need to re-splice the wires. I am not sure, but i think this is the speaker for the GPS - which doesn't work right now anyway. XM plays, but the screen says CD. it doesn't say what station you are on or the artist that is playing. Bluetooth comes over the car speakers, so i know it isn't that.

Overall, i am happy that it isn't the stock screen anymore, but now that I know the Honda screen works I wish i had bought a farenheit unit. I already know that one and how to navigate it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unit installed:

DVD/GPS unit lights up with headlights:

USB (I only have music on my USB and it is only a 32GB):

Screen for Virtual CD (can hold up to 6 CD's it says):

Screen for Auxiliary option on unit (not Aux on radio):

Bluetooth Screen:

CD screen (though XM looks like this too) plus evidence of HVAC controls working:

Radio:

IPOD:

DVD, of course:

If you use the stock radio/cd/Aux it looks like the CD and Radio pic above. If you use the Units IPOD hookup, for example, it has an actual screen. So stock gives you the basic and the units items give you a pretty screen.

That's all for now. :rollsmile

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quick tidbits: the navigation maps are included on a microSD, which i had to go back to the box and search for. Found it, luckily. Only has UK maps. The seller says he will upload US maps for me, Cali first and send them over. Awesome!
I still can't seem to get my steering wheel handsfree link buttons to work, which is a bummer... but the DVD portion of the unit has answer and hang up buttons, so it isn't so bad. All other steering wheel controls work perfectly fine.
Also, the units USB plug will not recognize my portable hard drive, which is like 256GBs. The car's USB will recognize the 256 GBs. Bummer about that is I wanted to put movies on the portable drive and be able to play them on the unit. Guess I can't and will have to figure out something else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am actually thrilled at this united, even though I would like to try the Fahrenheit unit. Cons at this point are that this one shows Honda when it loads and that xm doesn't show the specific channels or songs, but other than that it is fantastic. My daughter and I took a three hr ride and she was able to watch Despicable Me from her car seat in the back. Awesome, since it made for a whine-free car ride!!

The navigation software provided seems to be iGo. No comments yet, since it thinks we r in the uk. More updates once I get the proper maps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Allen! I think now that I have successfully installed this unit, I might have better luck with yours. Not being able to read what the wires are made it a touch more difficult. They each have good parts and bad parts. Either one is better than nothing!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Due to not being satisfied with either of these units and knowing that my 2008 accord's unit worked while plugged in to the tsx, I have purchased the p81 power acoustik version of the farenheit unit I mentioned previously. The main difference (besides price) with PA and farenheit, is the background...

It works! Better than the two I mentioned earlier in this post. A/c info works, xm info displays, fm... Everything but cd info (even though cd still plays). Bt plays through the main speakers. GPS is awesome. It is quick between screens...

Problem? This one isn't made to fit the tsx. I am hoping I can take it somewhere that can do custom work. Hopefully between this unit and the fit of the other units, I will have all I wish in an after market unit. This one was $370 shipped on amazon. Anyone else who wants this would have to also custom fit it somehow.

Woot woot! :leghump:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.