Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car lowered and after doing some research, decided that I didn't necessarily need a camber kit - just an alignment.
So i got an alignment and the people there told me they did the best they could but i would still need a camber kit otherwise i will get uneven tire wear.

This site says I don't need one as well, just an alignment.
No, you DO NOT need camber kits!!!!!!!! - Honda-Tech

anyone know anything about this?
i'm sure that i SHOULD get a camber kit... but as it is right now, i don't want to if i don't have to :)

thanks for your input!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That was my concern as well when I lowered the ride on S. Techs. I went to get an alignment nd the mechanic advised that I get a camber kit before getting my alignment. So after some research and a few positive reviews by members on the forum one the J-Power camber kit off of ebay, I went ahead and purchased it. 84.99 with free shipping. Mainly for PEACE OF MIND AND my FAMILY and passenger safety being paramount. Although the camber wear is said to be minimal, I just don't want to take that risk primarily because its my DD and we go on road trips a few times a year. That's my two cents bro but of course the decision is up to you. Good luck.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
You dont need anything. You can Have ridiculous, uneven camber, have your toe be off and slam your car till it scrapes the ground. Its your car, you can do whatever you want to it.

But is it the right thing to do or the smart thing? Without any doubt it's not.

You need to have a rear camber kit for our car if you plan on a drop. ..anything more than the aspec suspension i believe is a good benchmark

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the j's power camber and toe kit too. And now I don't eat up tires like before. I use to go through tires every 5-6 months but now it's been longer than that and still no sign of camber wear yet. But I was also dropped about 3 inches before too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the j's power camber and toe kit too. And now I don't eat up tires like before. I use to go through tires every 5-6 months but now it's been longer than that and still no sign of camber wear yet. But I was also dropped about 3 inches before too.
Were you still eating up your tires even after an alignment?

Thanks for your input guys. If it comes to it, maybe i'll pick one up from ebay like you guys :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Were you still eating up your tires even after an alignment?

Thanks for your input guys. If it comes to it, maybe i'll pick one up from ebay like you guys :)
before i bought the camber kit i tried to go get an alignment but the mechanic said there's no point because my specs are way off and with the little adjustment that could be done won't even make a difference. but he still tried and my rear cambers were still at -3.8 for the rear left and -4.1 for the rear. i forgot where the toe was but now i'm running at -1.5 camber for the rear and 0 at the toe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My specs were not as severe as Damn_Dat_TSX and the mechanic said the same thing. No poin doing alignment, which was cool with me because he saved me 65 bukcs rather than doing the 'pointless' alignment and screwing me over and having to get re-aligned after getting a camber kit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My specs were not as severe as Damn_Dat_TSX and the mechanic said the same thing. No poin doing alignment, which was cool with me because he saved me 65 bukcs rather than doing the 'pointless' alignment and screwing me over and having to get re-aligned after getting a camber kit.
lucky.... they only told me AFTER they did the alignment...
i wish they had told me before so i could have saved myself the $80.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You dont NEED to get a camber kit. It will cause MINIMAL tire wear. So minimal, you may not even notice with a depth gauge.

If you drove your car hard, a better camber degree would be optimal for traction purposes.

Otherwise, I wouldnt sweat it. Set the toe, and call it a day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You dont NEED to get a camber kit. It will cause MINIMAL tire wear. So minimal, you may not even notice with a depth gauge.

If you drove your car hard, a better camber degree would be optimal for traction purposes.

Otherwise, I wouldnt sweat it. Set the toe, and call it a day.
Not trying to be an asshole but are you saying this because EVERYONE else saying you don't need one? I mean I'm not an expert with alignments at all. Toe and camber plays a big role in tire wear but what if his rear camber is out of spec and it's around -3 or -4. But i guess driving around on the edge of your tires and having your toe set at zero would do minimal tires wear but sometimes you can't even adjust the toe back to zero without having a toe kit. I learned my lesson not having a toe and camber kits before. Now I don't have to spend $200-$300 on a pair of tires every 6 months. But maybe I'm wrong who knows.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here are the numbers i got from the guys.

left front: camber -0.9 / toe -0.02
right front: camber -1.2 / toe -0.01

left rear: camber -3 / toe 0.09
right rear: -3 / toe 0.14

are these numbers bad in terms on tire wear?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your toes are in spec but the camber is off but you probably won't eat up as much tires as I did. Just keep an eye on your inner rear tires or just get a camber kit and align it back to spec. When I did my alignment for my camber I think any over -1.7 was starting to go out of spec.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your toes are in spec but the camber is off but you probably won't eat up as much tires as I did. Just keep an eye on your inner rear tires or just get a camber kit and align it back to spec. When I did my alignment for my camber I think any over -1.7 was starting to go out of spec.
ah thanks for your help man :tu2:
so i'm guessing if the toe is off, thats what causes the most tire wear? if i can hold out for a bit i'd rather save the camber kit for later.. my cd player is effed so i've been listening to radio.. can't stand the music thats on nowadays.. so i would like to get that fixed first lol
with it as it is, how bad would you say the tire wear would be?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not trying to be an asshole but are you saying this because EVERYONE else saying you don't need one? I mean I'm not an expert with alignments at all. Toe and camber plays a big role in tire wear but what if his rear camber is out of spec and it's around -3 or -4. But i guess driving around on the edge of your tires and having your toe set at zero would do minimal tires wear but sometimes you can't even adjust the toe back to zero without having a toe kit. I learned my lesson not having a toe and camber kits before. Now I don't have to spend $200-$300 on a pair of tires every 6 months. But maybe I'm wrong who knows.
I honestly dont know a whole lot about the TSX. Just recently bought one, and havent put in a lot of work on it yet...

But I have had quite a few Civics. My EJ1 was lowered a decent amount. I think my camber was 2.5-2.8* up front, and about 1.5-1.8* in the rear (IIRC). We set the toe to specs, and called it a day. I put about 7k miles on the tires before I swapped them for snows. When I pulled them off, they all read within 1/32 measuring across the whole tread width. Never rotated, the front measured about 6-7/3nds, and the rears measured 10/32nds. And I almost want to say the outer half of my front treads were 6/32nds, and the insides were still 7. But I also liked to corner hard in that car.

Now I didnt know you needed a "toe kit", I didnt even know they existed... But the suspension setup and geometry on a TSX is quite a bit different from older Hondas. So Im definitely no expert.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ah thanks for your help man :tu2:
so i'm guessing if the toe is off, thats what causes the most tire wear? if i can hold out for a bit i'd rather save the camber kit for later.. my cd player is effed so i've been listening to radio.. can't stand the music thats on nowadays.. so i would like to get that fixed first lol
with it as it is, how bad would you say the tire wear would be?
I can't say how long the tires would last you. It just depend many miles you drive a day and how you drive the car.

·
'04 A/T Nighthawk Pearl
183 Posts
You need to have a rear camber kit for our car if you plan on a drop. ..anything more than the aspec suspension i believe is a good benchmark

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
firstsx,
I have the aspec suspension and rolling on 20's. I got an alignment and still noticed uneven wear on my rear tires. So just to be safe I got the rear camber kits and now riding better.

Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
firstsx,
I have the aspec suspension and rolling on 20's. I got an alignment and still noticed uneven wear on my rear tires. So just to be safe I got the rear camber kits and now riding better.

Just my 2 cents.....
I have aspec as well and i recently got an alignment, the mechanic told me i need a camber kit in the rear only, the toe was spot on.

as there were camber wear on my winter and summer tires

·
'04 A/T Nighthawk Pearl
183 Posts
geebra,
I heard a lot of people here in the forum also have the aspec suspension and they didn't need camber kits in the rear.

I guess it's just depends on the set up of your vehicle (suspension, tires, etc.)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
geebra,
I heard a lot of people here in the forum also have the aspec suspension and they didn't need camber kits in the rear.

I guess it's just depends on the set up of your vehicle (suspension, tires, etc.)
I did a search and most ppl installed a camber kit with Aspec suspension, but im at -2 camber right now so I guess a camber kit won't hurt.

Im not running anything agressive at all, just mugen gp's. Either way there is no way for me to align my rear without a camber kit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts