Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car in on the 23rd for an alignment because my car was pulling to the left after I hit a few potholes (nothing real major). After I got the car back, when I centered the steering wheel, the car was pulling to the right. While the car is better it still has some play that I have to compensate slightly to the left and right. This could be because of the slight uneven wear, although I can't see it, from 2 weeks before I took the car in for the alignment. Currently the car is pulling slightly to the left again. They also overinflated the tires by a few PSI and I'm sure they did it to mask the issue. The car did feel very bouncy.

I'm attaching the alignment results below. I have a concern about the second alignment because either they did it incorrectly the first time or that within a week the alignment went off again. I don't even know how to not insult the people with my concern. Any help would be appreciated.

1st alignment

http://i54.tinypic.com/35mqh5h.jpg

2nd alignment

http://i52.tinypic.com/9v9kd3.jpg

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Your alignment specs look good. Maybe its just an uneven road? Do you always have to compensate by turning a little to the left? Roads are generally designed to slope away from the center so water will slide off the road.

Try switching your wheels around. Like swap your front 2 wheels and then go for a drive and see if the car still pulls to the right. If it pulls to the left after swapping, then your tires are the culprit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My concern is either they messed up the first time or I have a bigger issue because the before on the second alignment the left side was in the red...after a week? I'm not hitting crater sized potholes.

The car is pulling to the left when I'm holding the steering wheel centered. I don't think swapping tires around is going to do anything for this. I could see that as an issue if I let the steering wheel go, but holding it?

·
What to put here?
1,991 Posts
You mentioned hitting potholes. Maybe you damaged some other steering component that the alignment guy can't fix. I would bring it in to the dealer and let them look at your problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mentioned hitting potholes. Maybe you damaged some other steering component that the alignment guy can't fix. I would bring it in to the dealer and let them look at your problem.
Yep that's where I have taken the car for both of these alignments.

·
5,412 Posts
The car is pulling to the left when I'm holding the steering wheel centered. I don't think swapping tires around is going to do anything for this. I could see that as an issue if I let the steering wheel go, but holding it?
its free to swap your wheels so i would still give it a try. Do all the easiest, cheapest troubleshooting tests first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its free to swap your wheels so i would still give it a try. Do all the easiest, cheapest troubleshooting tests first.
It's worth a try this weekend. Do you think they had screwed up the alignment the first time in order for it to be that off on the second one?

·
5,412 Posts
Well the toe in the first alignment was off, but the second alignment specs look fine. Usually lazy techs just put all the specs to green and let it be. Even in your first alignment, your toe was in red.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I missing something on the second report? I see the toe on the front left is off on the before measurement at .28?

·
Registered
317 Posts
how many miles had you gone on your TSX with that bad toe?
Because bad toe kills tires faster, causes uneven wear and can make the tires pull to the right or left when driving the car.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
Maybe when they did the alignment, they didnt set your steering wheel perfectly straight when doing the adjustments.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bad toe destroyed a set of tires in 250miles for me. So I'd get that check'ed out. If the car pulls, have you checked to see that you haven't damaged the rim with those potholes? Maybe tires need to be rebalanced?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the car in today and went on a road test with the tech. He told me that it was the crowning of the road that was causing the pull. The pulling to the left he said was caused by torque steer. Not pressing any gas alleviates the issue by 80%. He guessed that it may have been previously set to negative toe on each side to counter each other and it no longer is set the same way.

I'm not sure what to think but may take it to the dealer I bought the car when I need the tires replaced. They are the originals as I checked the manufacture date of the tire and it was in 06 (car is an 07).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts