Acura TSX Forum banner

All-New Acura TSX Sports Sedan

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Joker 
#1 ·
All-New Acura TSX Sports Sedan Makes World Debut at North American International Auto Show

Detroit, MI 01/05/2003 -- The all-new Acura TSX sports sedan made its world debut at the North American International Auto Show today, giving Acura's lineup an entry luxury performance vehicle positioned between the hot-selling RSX sports coupe and Acura's top-selling 3.2 TL luxury performance sedan.

"The TSX is designed to compete head on with other premium sport sedans from Europe and Japan," said Dick Colliver, Acura executive vice president, sales. "With 200 horsepower, a 6-speed manual transmission, race-bred suspension and an abundance of features, the TSX has what it takes to be a success in this hotly contested segment."

The TSX features a 2.4-liter DOHC, i-VTEC engine that generates 200 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and 166 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. The i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system adjusts valve timing and lift for enhanced performance across a broad power band in addition to improved fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions.

The TSX is equipped with a drive-by-wire throttle control system for smooth acceleration. It comes with either a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or a performance-oriented 5-speed Sequential SportShift' automatic transmission for precise control of the powerful engine.

To deliver precise, responsive handling, the TSX utilizes an extremely rigid unit body structure, a race-bred, 4-wheel-independent double-wishbone suspension, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), 17-inch alloy wheels and P215/50R17 all-season performance tires.

The TSX features an aggressive wedge design with strong character lines and a highly aerodynamic body. In front, styling cues include Acura's signature 5-sided grille, stylish High Intensity Discharge (HID) head lights and lower air intakes that evoke the image of racing brake ducts. In the rear, the backlight slopes to meet a short trunk lid, which terminates sharply to help air separate cleanly off the back of the car at speed.

The cockpit of the TSX is sporty yet refined. It is comprehensively equipped with deeply-bolstered perforated leather seating, a power moonroof, a leather-wrapped three-spoke sport steering wheel with integrated audio and cruise controls, dual-zone automatic climate control, an Acura premium audio system, power windows and door locks and keyless entry. The Acura TSX sport sedan will go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide in April 2003.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So here is the post that started it all... The Ultimate Thread Resurrection…

What do you guys think?.... what was it that got you interested in the TSX?...

Personally I must say, That I Originally showed my parents the TSX, as a last ditch effort to get a car instead of the Xterra, Loved the Ebony Interior, and just thought the overall lines of the TSX were spectacular, and absolutely loved the front end. You guys remember the Honda Commercial, where the cars look like the owners…to me the TSX had a awesome Grin on its front, I always saw it as saying “you wanna go, Im a TSX you wanna piece of me” lol, I dunno mind of a 16 year old right? I still love that look the nice aggressive grin. Now 2 years and 18,000 Miles Later, Im still In love with this car…how about you guys?

#3 · (Edited)
When I saw the MR TSX pics from the NAIAS, I thought this would be the next new car for me. The styling looked awesome and sporty. Plus, I really liked the 98-02 Euro Accord, but wished they brought it here. I wasn't a fan of the 6th gen or 7th gen Accords. The TSX was just that car, but something new! I waited and waited, and had regular updates from Acura's website on the TSX. At the time I had a friend who worked at a Chicago Acura/Audi dealer and she was giving me insider information about it before the release. I originally wanted Carbon Gray, but I didn't want to wait 4-6 months just for that color so I opted for an Arctic Blue Pearl TSX. I went around several dealers in Chicago, but none of them could really get me what I want or the price I want (this was early May 2003). I then started calling around and finally got a great deal from a Kansas Acura dealer, the rest is history!

:woot:

edit: I didn't realize this thread was that old! Talk about a really old thread resurrection!:eek:

#4 ·
what the...where/how did you find this ? :rofl:

Great value, built-quality. Once I sat inside I knew this was going to the easiest car-buying decision for me.

#5 · (Edited)
robert_tsxgeek said:
what the...where/how did you find this ?
*Bows* yup the thread that started it all, the Very First post of TSXClub.com... took a while and some work, but I found her... :nod:

Wonder what Rays gonna say when he finds this thread

#6 ·
I was stalking the TSX ever since it was prototyped waaaaaaaay back.

Figured it would be just a little under the (then) current TL price range, so started starving so I could save up for that car. :)

#7 ·
Actually Joker sort of turned me on to the TSX and the rest is history. :D

#8 ·
HondaMan said:
Actually Joker sort of turned me on to the TSX and the rest is history. :D
Really? So you guys are friends in the real world? It always seemed like there's some real-life connection between you, but I could never put my finger on what it is. :donno:

I heard of the TSX first from Edmunds before it came out, and I remember thinking that an entry-level Acura would be just my style. Then when I actually started car shopping, I was sold the second I sat in it. I also considered the Mazda6 and 325i/xi. The former wasn't posh enough, but I liked the BMW. So I thought 'could I really be one of those assholes that drives a BMW'?

I thought the answer was no at the time... now I realize it isn't. BUT I'm glad that doubt pushed me into the TSX, which I love :D

#10 ·
1 year old as of may 4th...i love her to death, almost at 11k miles....

#11 ·
My effort to get a new car started when I first got my permit around 2 yrs ago. I started off in a 4runner and that 4runner was to be my permanent car but that wanst to to be in my head. RSX-S was in my mind. For half a year till I got my license it was begging and trying to convince my parents about the RSX-S.

My cuzzin had a big role though... He has a GSR and he always told me how he wished he got more of a luxury car... a 4 door. He told me that your used to your 4runner and I dont know if you'll adjust well to a small size. And the whole import rice stuff gets old after a while man. Its all about BMW and bencze.

I always thought about that. And it stuck to my head... yeah the RSX-S isnt really special... just another "rice" car. Small. and very common. Then as I was reading a Acura Brochure my friend gave me. The TSX caught my eye. Ive never seen any of these in the streets. The interior looked sweet. It was sold as a luxury sports car... a compromise of my need to have a sports car and essentially my possible future desire to have a bigger more luxurious car at the same time. It was 4door and my insurance wouldnt hit hard for its not considered a sports car by the insurance... my insurance atleast.

Then thats how it all came to be.

#12 · (Edited)
jcg878 said:
Really? So you guys are friends in the real world? It always seemed like there's some real-life connection between you, but I could never put my finger on what it is. :donno:
Well, we met 2 summers ago in LA when I was there for 2 weeks on business. We both had Civic Si's (EP3) at the time and knew each other via www.ephatch.com, so Joker and another guy named Tony had a EP3 meet for me (more or less) while I was there. :cool: Joker was the first person I called when I got my TSX (I was actually following my wife & kids in my new TSX in my old Civic Si...LOL...she can't drive a 5MT). So, Joker and I chat via AIM & phone from time to time, and play online fantasy sports a lot.

Where is Joker today? :donno:

BTW, I'll be offline this weekend (starting tomorrow)...going camping with my son & grandfather @ the Okefenokee Swamp (giving the NAVI a workout there & back). :)

#13 ·
Another nice get by MR!!!

Speaking of resurrections, what about this old thread, "How did you first hear of the TSX":
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1100

I first heard of it one Sunday morning when my lady saw an article in the NY Times about the NAIA show where they talked about the upcoming Acura TSX. This was in January 2003, which was 3 months before the car came out.
I had never heard of it even though I was a long-time Acura guy and was DESPERATE for a car like this.
I then went online to look for more info, and that's when I found the old Club TSX, where JUSTIN was giving info and some of our other old friends were batting it around.

Here's a thread where I pasted that NY Times article: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381

P.S. I'll be mostly offline this weekend too -- playing some piano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.