Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. 1st gen TSX, original owner, 200K miles, manual, original clutch, no modifications. LOVE the car and hope to keep it going another bunch of years. Have had the same issues everyone has. Except for my alternator, which has been fine. And that's the question. . .

Hoping to get opinions please. I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking of proactively swapping out my alternator. I'm weighing the "why in the world would I spend $$ to change out something that is working fine" against not wanting to get stuck. As I said, I've had ALL the same issues everyone posts about (clicking clutch, noisy throw out bearing, console lights out, door lock actuators, A/C, power steering pump, starter, glove box lock broke, oh, and my trunk pull stopped working which I may be unique in having. Still LOVE the car. Any alternator thoughts would be greatly appreciated - should I be proactive or wait for it to stop working? I'm worried I've pushed my luck to 200K. . . I'm not a DIYer.

Also, if you're in the mood to share more thoughts, would further appreciate thoughts on:
1. I have 100K on my serp belt & water pump. No visible cracking. Think I should be proactive there as well or wait for the water pump to start making noise first?
2. 100K on spark plugs. Probably good to change them given the low cost?
3. Acura says to check valves every 100K. They seem/sound fine. Worth the money to do so? I'd thinking of not. Gas mileage remains consistent. Exhaust smells some though.

Thanks - I'd value your thoughts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking of proactively swapping out my alternator. I'm weighing the "why in the world would I spend $$ to change out something that is working fine" against not wanting to get stuck...... Any alternator thoughts would be greatly appreciated - should I be proactive or wait for it to stop working? I'm worried I've pushed my luck to 200K. . . I'm not a DIYer.
If you want to be proactive, save some cash, and avoid aftermarket junk; I'd suggest picking up a used OEM denso alternator from a local junkyard and taking it to the most reputable "starter and alternator" shop in your vicinity. Let them go through it and replace every wear item, it will likely cost less than a crappy aftermarket reman, and definitely less than a denso reman. Then you have one ready when you need it. Same thing for your starter if it has never been replaced.
Not a DIYer at all? As in take it to a shop just for alternator swap? I'd at least combine that job with something else for cost effectiveness.

Also, if you're in the mood to share more thoughts, would further appreciate thoughts on:
1. I have 100K on my serp belt & water pump. No visible cracking. Think I should be proactive there as well or wait for the water pump to start making noise first?
100k on an OEM water pump isn't scary to me, my first engine came out at 231k miles with the original water pump, it was leaking oil from just about everywhere but no issues with coolant system at all. Change the serp belt when you start to see visible fatigue or hear squealing.
If all this work is done by a shop, doing serp+alternator+water pump, and maybe serp tensioner all at once would cut down on labor costs.

2. 100K on spark plugs. Probably good to change them given the low cost?
Change em. Stick with denso or NGK plugs. Even with the iridiums I like to change them about every 50k.

3. Acura says to check valves every 100K. They seem/sound fine. Worth the money to do so? I'd thinking of not. Gas mileage remains consistent. Exhaust smells some though.
It's prudent to at least inspect the valvetrain even if no adjustments are needed. Every time I've popped my VC off I've found an adjustment worth making. If you want to cut labor costs, do this when your VC gasket starts to leak, as you should replace it every time the cover comes off anyway.
The exhaust smell is quite likely your catalytic converter becoming less effecient. My original cat started to occasionally trigger a CEL around 225k.

Hah...just looked up when my original alternator gave up, it was as 200,137 miles. What do you know... If you want to keep a closer eye on your alternator, you could buy a USB car charger that displays system voltage. Cheaper than a real gauge and just as effective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huge thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Just purchased a USB car charger w/ voltmeter monitor - didn't know they existed. I'll also look for a junkyard OEM alternator and have it rebuilt and keep it on the shelf for when needed. I have another 43 miles to go to beat your alternator mileage. Hopefully the clutch will continue holding up as well. Great car. Thanks for the great advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts