Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 TSX with 162k miles on it and know I’m going to need a new alternator soon. What is the best option for 1st gen TSX alternators? There’s so many different prices ranges I’m not sure if a $90 replacement would work just as well as a $300 replacement. I’m sure a few have had to...

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you're not sure which will work best for you then you probably do not know what your demands are. You need to assess what your electrical needs are to be sure of what you need. Generally the difference between a $90 and $300 alternator are not only the quality of the components but also the amp output.

I have Mechman alternator that outputs more than a stock alternator and cost a lot more as well. That's because my demands are much higher electrically (high output stereo, alarm, camera, etc.). The stock alternator was not outputting enough at idle so I had to go with a much better and more expensive alternator. It was a worthy investment it as it met all my electrical needs.

Are you considering a more expensive alternator because the stock one does not provide enough output at idle? If your electrical needs are stock then you may have a bad alternator and just need a quality stock alternator replacement. I'd suggest having your electrical system checked especially under high load to see if you need a higher outputting alternator. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see that the the stock alternator is having trouble providing enough output as some electrical flickers and it’s completely stock with oem navi system. But I do plan on putting an aftermarket radio which eventually will come with back up camera and sound system so It’s sounds like my best bet is getting higher output unit. Thanks you definitely helped!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You won't regret it. My car definitely runs smoother with the high output amp. Just make sure that you also upgrade your ground wires (big 3) as well as the positive cable to the alternator. It's necessary so that you can efficiently use the output amperage of the new amp. Usually 1 or 0 gauge is recommended depending on the output of your amp. Consult the vendor of your amp for the recommended gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts