Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. Quick question I have two 12 inch Alpine type R's connected to a 2000 watt RMS Alpine amp.. I recently installed a new double din deck.. To by pass the factory amp I rewired every speaker in the car to a new 4 channel 600w Pioneer amp.. Sound system sounds amazing now everyone that hears it just goes crazy. But I have a problem when I turn up the volume to 29 the car can't handle all the power so it blows the fuse near my battery. Also have a 2.0 cap on my system.

What do I need to change to fix it from blowing fuses.. I have a new battery but it's not the best. I heard a lot of people say I need to get a high out Alternator... They're all expensive $300+ I'm wondering if there is any other way?

·
Registered
128 Posts
What powercables are you running? On that setup you need 50mm².
And what fuse? I guess you have a 80amp fuse?

Get yourself a waferfuse.

And take atleast 150amp.

I'm running close to 3000watt rms on a 150amp fuse, and he is holding strong.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What he said about the fuse.

I'm more worried that overall your running a large stereo that the charging system can't handle. Do you have any plans to add a 2ndary battery to stabilize the electrical system? A 2 farad cap is NOT enough and more of a hindrance than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What powercables are you running? On that setup you need 50mm².
And what fuse? I guess you have a 80amp fuse?

And take atleast 150amp.

I'm running close to 3000watt rms on a 150amp fuse, and he is holding strong.

Just checked my fuse near the battery and its a 60amp fuse lol... Also I believe the ones from my power distributor block are also 50-60 amp fuses... Do I have to change all 3 or just the one by the battery? goes from 4gauge wire out to 8gauge from the distributor block.

What he said about the fuse.

I'm more worried that overall your running a large stereo that the charging system can't handle. Do you have any plans to add a 2ndary battery to stabilize the electrical system? A 2 farad cap is NOT enough and more of a hindrance than anything else.

I don't think I can add a second battery unless I get a high output alternator and those would run me $300+ that I'm not willing to spend I already have so much invested into the sound system. I have a lot of other things I can spend that 300 on lol like a reflash :king: .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have an issue with hearing my alternator squeal and when i drive it gets higher pitch and louder? I have no idea what may cause this if you do PLEASE let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Pejan

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You do not need a different alternator. I have ran a kinetik hc3800 secondary battery for years. The kinetik is the size of a cinder block and was 70lbs. Even another battery like what's under the hood will do an amazing amount.

The amount of money you have in a system is irrelevant if it doesn't work properly.

You also need to have the same size fuses. If you make one larger and don't change the other it will blow the smallest.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do not need a different alternator. I have ran a kinetik hc3800 secondary battery for years. The kinetik is the size of a cinder block and was 70lbs. Even another battery like what's under the hood will do an amazing amount.

The amount of money you have in a system is irrelevant if it doesn't work properly.

You also need to have the same size fuses. If you make one larger and don't change the other it will blow the smallest.

Really? I can run a second battery off the stock alternator? That's amazing I'm just not too sure how I'd go about doing that and where the best place to put it is? (First car I have done work on myself so it's all a learning experience).. What size fuse should I have with a system like mine?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yes you can. I need to know what your amps model numbers are before i suggest a setup. Because Alpine doesnt have a 2000watt rms amp and i dont know of any amp that has that kind of power and only accepts 8ga.

Also can you show pictures of your distribution block? I cant picture a distrobution block that has fuses on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Alternator noise,

Your power cable on one side of the car and your signal, the rca cables on the other side, do not put the power cable and signal cable on the same side! Rookie mistake ;-)

Also, where did you put you mass cable?
It needs to be on the bolt from your seatbelt, under the backseat.

My setup:

50mm2 comming in and 2 x 25mm2 going out.

(In a couple of weeks I'll swap the SPL in a cactus 300.1)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you can. I need to know what your amps model numbers are before i suggest a setup. Because Alpine doesnt have a 2000watt rms amp and i dont know of any amp that has that kind of power and only accepts 8ga.

Also can you show pictures of your distribution block? I cant picture a distrobution block that has fuses on it.

Ok, I'll get the model numbers today and take a picture of the distribution block. But I'm pretty sure I blew a channel on my amp :'( and I just bought it fml... 600w amp wasn't enough for my door speakers ? :S how could I blow it with just door speakers. Also I believe the amp I use for my subs is an Alpine MRX-M100 1000 watt RMS and 1900 watt max.

Alternator noise,

Your power cable on one side of the car and your signal, the rca cables on the other side, do not put the power cable and signal cable on the same side! Rookie mistake ;-)

Also, where did you put you mass cable?
It needs to be on the bolt from your seatbelt, under the backseat.

50mm2 comming in and 2 x 25mm2 going out.

(In a couple of weeks I'll swap the SPL in a cactus 300.1)
Damn nice set up man looks clean as hell! Rookie mistake for sure lol I had no idea that would happen... But thanks so much for being clear! I'll take a picture of how mine is set up and post it.

Love you guys thanks for the help MUCH APPRECIATED!:)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Speakers don't blow amps, inexperienced users and bad setups do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speakers don't blow amps, inexperienced users do.

So what's the reason it would blow? I'd like to know for future experiences. Not trying to blow another one. Weird thing is the fuse didn't blow and the amp did :S. Power fuse blew and when I changed it only half my speakers worked so I'm sure its blown. (amp fuses were still good)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Putt 2 80ampere fusses in that distribution block and a 150amp waffer fuse in front of the battery and you're fine.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I think i have enough info to try to help you out.

First off. Caps are worthless. The idea is a good one, place something inline of the power to try and hold a small enough of power that discharges quickly, just as an amp pulls power. The problem is the Caps that are built today are MUCH too small to be effective and are built for more bling than function. Most of the time they are more of a hinderance on the electrical system than anything else. DITCH IT! Get a secondary battery. With the size of your system I wouldnt suggest one much larger than whats under the hood stock. You can use any kind as long as they are SEALED! I would suggest kinetik because of their history in SPL and SQ competition and from my past when I was competing nothing else worked as well at charging and discharging very quickly and lasted forever!

When you get the secondary battery that will allow you do ditch that funky fuseblock. That is a huge bottleneck for the power going to your amplifiers. Use the amp as a distrobution block by using the largest size wire the amplifiers will allow. More than likely that Alpine will accept a 4ga and the pioneer an 8ga (maybe 4ga).

After you get your secondary battery, your going to need to ditch the 4ga wire running from the front to the rear. Its not large enough to safely transfer power between the front two batteries. I would suggest 2ga or Larger, ideally 0ga. Then I would fuse that wire in the front and rear no further than 12in away from the batteries. Use a 200amp fuse in the front and a 200amp in the rear. After the battery, depending on where the amps will be located you should then use another fuse block going to each amp with a fuse larger than what each amp is capable of pulling at any time.

If you do all this, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind you will have enough power to power both amps and almost anything you might want to upgrade to.

Rep+ Freely ;)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Here is a wiring diagram if my wording doesnt make sense

1 - 17 of 17 Posts