·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
I feel you man, especially having a black car :(

just gotta learn to ignore it

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
as much as u want to avoid scratches wetherr in a car wash or just driving its gonna happen... unless you do it yourself.... it is what it is....

·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
You can never avoid swirl marks, but you can delay swirl marks by washing up and down side to side, never in circular motion.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had two blacks cars and swore never to buy another - after I sold the second of the two.

As somebody already said, it is what it is, and it can't be avoided with a daily driven car. If it passes the 5 foot test, you're golden.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
i don't know how everyone prefers to wash their cars but I always start with what gets less dirty and then work on the dirty panels last. Roof, then hood and trunk lid, then work my way down the car so the parts closest to the ground is the last to wash. It keeps the dirt in the wash bucket to a minimum. I like to think it helps.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't know how everyone prefers to wash their cars but I always start with what gets less dirty and then work on the dirty panels last. Roof, then hood and trunk lid, then work my way down the car so the parts closest to the ground is the last to wash. It keeps the dirt in the wash bucket to a minimum. I like to think it helps.
yup, but the damages comes from everyday use, highway stone chips and ppl smashing their doors on your car causing scratches and dents.

I use the 3 bucket method hahaha

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
If you want to help with swirl marks, give her a good wash and dry. Then, using an electronic buffer and some buffing/polishing compound, buff the entire car. Follow up with a polishing bonnet on the buffer to give her a smooth and shiny finish. Then repeat the process with wax instead of buffing/polishing compound and new bonnets for the buffer. I polish twice a year and wax four times per year. It takes FOREVER but the results are AMAZING.

Also, follow what JTRIX says. Wash top-down. This also helps keep the sand off the sponge. In fact, I even go as far to use a different drying towel for the sideskirts and door jams than I do for the other surfaces. This will also help keep swirls to a min.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Regional (United States)
1,204 Posts
Important thing is to make sure there is no dirty/debris on your wash sponge that you end up dragging on the car - utilize at least a two-bucket method to help with this - one for the soap and the other a rinse bucket. If your car is dirty, replace the water in the rinse bucket several times. Also, make sure the buckets are clean and free of dirt or debris before using - I know stuff can accumulate in it if it's sitting out in the garage or something over time.

Two different cloths/towels for drying - one for the main body panels, and another for door jambs and lower body portions (i.e. under side skirts, lower part of rear bumper, etc.) as that cloth/towel tends to get dirty sometimes.

But swirls and such are still going to pop up here and there even if you use the most extreme caution while washing - that's where a rotary/orbital and polish/wax (as recommended by the above poster) comes in handy ever so often.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
I think the touch-less are fine but they don't do a great job. Avoid at all costs if anything comes in contact with your car.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is it ok to use the car wash machines at the gas stations ? :O
I think the touch-less are fine but they don't do a great job. Avoid at all costs if anything comes in contact with your car.
i agree because those brushes are never cleaned and debris and rocks get embedded into it.

as for the touchless, it doesnt do a good job at removing a few layers of dirt, if your car is pretty close to spotless then use touchless lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts