Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to both Circuity City and Tweeter today to find out some options on upgrading my stereo.

I wanted to just get rid of the distorted bass at high volume levels and thought that by replacing just the 6x9's I could correct this.

First Circuit City told me that they could swap out the factory 6x9's and put in the Polk Audio ones without any problems. I thought great, just what I wanted, but wanted to shop around a little more before I committed.

I went to Tweeter. The guy there told me that switching out the factory 6x9's was not possible without bypassing the factory amp. I do not want to bypass anything, nor do I want to buy a new amp. He then said even if I got aftermarket 6x9's the bass problem would not be corrected.
He was trying to convince me to get an 8 inch sub and amp and install them without touching the factory speakers. I am glad that I wouldn't have to touch the factory wiring or bypass anything, but not only is this more than I wanted to spend, I don't know who to believe.

If I could just put in new 6x9's I'd be happy, but if I have to install an 8 inch sub, then so be it. I just want to know which of the two stores is bs'ing me since one said you can swap speakers and the other said you have to bypass factory amp. Can't you just use the factory amp to power aftermarket speakers? I'm so confused......

·
Registered
157 Posts
I want to upgrade my Audio too and am still doing research. I was under the impression that you didn't have to replace the amp unless you wanted. I have a feeling that the people at tweeter are playing you for a fool. Perhaps the people on this board that have upgraded their systems can clear this up for us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that everyone's stock system comes with a certain amount of wattage comin out of the cd player. Now, if the acura sound system has enough watts to power upgraded 6x9s, idk, it would depend how many watts the 6x9s have...thats just from my knowledge

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
You CAN just replace the 6x9's and use the factory amp, but your not going to get much more bass out of it.

Its really easy to replace the 6x9's, so you may want to just start with that first. It may be enough for you, it may not.

It wasnt for me, I added a 10" JL and MB Quarts up front hooked up to a 400W kicker amp. A guy over on the other board helped me with the install. Really knew what he was doing. He said that the signal coming out of the head unit was the same as an Alpine deck when hooked up to an oscilloscope. I did have to add a line driver though...

Edit: Oh, and keep in mind that the factory amp only sends low signals to the 6x9's. With an aftermarket amp you would get the full effect.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So if I add an amp along with the 6x9's, can I keep my receiver or do I
need another one to control the new amp?

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
studdly said:
So if I add an amp along with the 6x9's, can I keep my receiver or do I
need another one to control the new amp?
Sure, you can use the stock hu. Just send the signal to the new amp, though you may want to use a line driver.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got my front doors installed with Polk DB650 and there is defenetily a difference in clarity. I will get the rears replaced in about 2-weeks.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my old system installed on Sunday. Circuit City did a great job. I kept everything factory and just added my amp and sub. I finally enjoy listening to my stereo again.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey studdly, do you know what exactly the installers had to do to get the aftermarket speakers to work. Did they just plug in the new ones or did they have to rewire factory stuff? I would like to change my speakers if the job is easy.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Doc said:
Hey studdly, do you know what exactly the installers had to do to get the aftermarket speakers to work. Did they just plug in the new ones or did they have to rewire factory stuff? I would like to change my speakers if the job is easy.
Doc, if your going to use the factory amp then yes, its pretty easy to do. They will have to come up with some sort of mounting bracket though. Not sure if there is one out there yet.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Ok guys heres a few answers from experence, I Swapped out my Rear 6x9's and the 6.5's on my doors a while ago, and im still running it on the stock amp, so it can be done, easily in fact, however replacing the 6.5's require a little drilling, otherwise easy as hell, and the sound qualitys great. Persionally I went w/ Pioneers all around heres a pic of the 6x9's

And heres what the 6.5's look like, cant take a picture w/ out taking the doors apart again

Gotta go to class...hope this helped

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had them mount the amp for the sub directly onto the sub box so I didn't have to drill into my seats. Everything else has remained intact.

Thanks Memphis, I am a lot more confident in changing the speakers out now. In fact installing the 6x9's looks like a very simple job according to your picture. I will probably make that my next upgrade. I also want to get rid of my bandpass box, and get a ported one. The bandpass sounds great in my old SUV, but in the TSX I need something more precise.

Does anybody have any opinions on whether to get a Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2, MTX Thunder, or JL sub? I love my current MTX but I have banged the hell out of it for 7 years now, it is time for a fresh sub.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doc said:
I had them mount the amp for the sub directly onto the sub box so I didn't have to drill into my seats. Everything else has remained intact.

Thanks Memphis, I am a lot more confident in changing the speakers out now. In fact installing the 6x9's looks like a very simple job according to your picture. I will probably make that my next upgrade. I also want to get rid of my bandpass box, and get a ported one. The bandpass sounds great in my old SUV, but in the TSX I need something more precise.

Does anybody have any opinions on whether to get a Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2, MTX Thunder, or JL sub? I love my current MTX but I have banged the hell out of it for 7 years now, it is time for a fresh sub.
if youre saying you need something more precise...then a sealed box would be the best option forthat. plus, with many subs, they require a big ported box to work well. as far as subs...how much are you willing to spend on them and what sound are you looking for? ive always thought with fosgate subs you were paying more for a name...and JL is def too expensive for me...but it just depends. let me know and i'll try to help you out.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really interested in this thread. I have a Clarion amp and 2 kicker 8's that I'd like to throw in my TSX (once it comes in!). I'm getting the navi, is this possible?

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes you can easily put in your Clarion Amp and subs. All you need to do is get a professional installer to run the power wire from your battery to the trunk, and then using a Line Output Converter they can tap into your audio signal and send it to your subs. The only thing is you need to be careful in adjusting the gain on the amp b/c with this setup when you turn the bass up on the Head Unit, it turns all the bass up on all speakers, so if you turn it up too high from the head unit you run a risk of blowing your interior speakers.

As far as the Navi goes that was my biggest concern. However, just adding a sub doesn't mess with the existing factory wiring, in fact the Navi isn't even really touched.

Hey Cheekiestud1, thanks for your help. I couldn't take it anymore so yesterday I went out and picked up a 12" MB Quart with a ported box. I know that sealed is the most precise but I hate it when my sub "kicks" too hard, the ported box gets rid of a little of the punch and is still a lot more accurate than my old bandpass box. The MB Quart sounds awesome, one of the clearist and most precise subs I have ever heard. It is not going to bang like a Fosgate or JL, but it is very clear and high quality.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
A 6x9 install is very easy in the TSX. Just use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the 6x9's clips. It held down with like 3 or 4 clips. Then with a rachet wrench just unbolt 4 bolts on each speaker.

Use these harness adapters from CircuitCity and you won't have to splice anything. It will plug right in.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metr.../sem/rpsm/oid/81034/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You'll get better sound quality and less distortion. It's not gonna give you the same bass as a woofer in a sealed box, so don't expect that though guys.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the link Tsx536. I would have bought the speakers, got the clips off and realized I was missing something. That little cable adapter would have been the missing link. Now I'm ready.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts