Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

01/14/2009, 12:22 PM​

Mercedes-Benz’ AMG performance brand is best known for its wildly powerful vehicles, but the division’s era of 600+ horsepower creations looks to be coming to an end. Instead, the performance brand will look to use other approaches to ensure AMG levels of performance.

Car enthusiasts have enjoyed a horsepower run over the last few years that makes a 400 horsepower car seem underpowered, but AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg warns those days are over. “The horsepower war is over,” he told Autocar. “We are going to use other ways to extract better performance, including weight saving, engine optimisation and alternative technologies.”

The move to reduce power is a direct result of more stringent emissions regulations worldwide, but that doesn’t mean AMG will be producing boring cars anytime soon. Mornhinweg indicated that the upcoming E63 AMG would be the first vehicle to display AMG’s new way of thinking, with the new performance sedan being lighter and more efficient that its predecessor — all while delivering better performance. However, the next E63 AMG is only the start of the division’s green movement, with diesels, hybrids and possibly even smaller four-cylinder models on the way.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
sounds like a good idea..a 6.3 is not green in any way. It will be interesting to see the public's reaction if they start pumping out 4cyl AMGS..in that case I may end up in one lol

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About Time

I remember back in like 2003 when my friend got a BMW M3 w/ like 300hp; I thought that was an awful lot of hp. Now, that is kinda the norm for entry level luxury cars.

Altho I am sure 4 cylinders are coming, I doubt that they will be like the TSX ... my guess would be that they will be turboed.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
6,313 Posts
I've always liked AMG's approach to performance.

Alot of manufacturers shed weight and add a bit of power.. but there's just something so damn cool about a car that weighs like 2 tons, has all the luxuries, all the power and torque in the world, and with a brutal low sound.

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
I've wondered for several years now when the HP wars would taper off... looks like now is as good a time as any.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

With AMG no longer focused on chasing big horsepower numbers, efficiency could quickly become the new performance benchmark for the Affalterbach tuner. Currently in development is a range of new diesel models, advanced lightweight materials and construction methods, as well as hybrid systems, and by next year AMG will reportedly introduce engine stop-start and direct-injection technology into its lineup.

According to AutoTelegraaf, the AMG set-up will work much like any other engine stop-start system, shutting down the engine when the vehicle sits in traffic and then kick-starting it into life once the brake pedal is released or the accelerator depressed. The direct-injection system will be based on the second-generation system already launched in the Mercedes Benz C350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY model.

AMG has set itself an internal goal of reducing fuel consumption of its lineup 30% by 2012, but to achieve this engineers will require much more advanced technology than engine stop-start and direct-injection systems. While fuel-efficient diesels and hybrid models are still several years away, we have already seen the first implementation of AMG’s new green initiatives in vehicles like the SL65 Black Series. The car’s advanced composite materials and other weight-saving construction techniques are set to filter across to future models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts