Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about the DIY intake on here http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29809 and decided to do it myself. But, I dont like how they used the "L" shaped piece in this one, because it is still pulling air from inside the engine bay by the transmission. So i bought the K&N along with a 45 degree elbow and a straight tube so i could get the air to draw from in the fender rather than in the engine bay. Last night I took out my air box and cut all of the baffling (all of the grid looking plastic) with my dremel, so the inside would be smooth like the comptech. Then this morning, after i took the resonator box out, i found a piece that would take care of the rest of the stuff. So i dug up a hose clamp and took the rest of the stuff back.

The rest is assuming that you have already got the resonator box and all of its respective parts out of the car.

The piece that i am using is the piece that takes the air from atmosphere into the resonator, which is located in front of the battery and goes down into the resonator box.

The first thing i did was take a cutoff wheel and cut off the flared lip on the edge of it (or you could use a dremel) as well as cut all the raised bumps so the rubber elbow will slide over it.

Then i put the rubber elbow over the end of the plastic piece and put a bead of honda bond (RTV) before i slid it all the way. so that way when i hit bumps it wont eventually vibrate out.

Then i took the rubber elbow and connected it back to the intake box in its stock location, with the plastic tube now attached to it. this is what it looks like from the top.

from inside the fenderwell...

and finally from the bumper filler hole (the place where your foglights are or if you dont have one where the little filler piece is, mine is removed so you can see where the tube ends up being)

Thus saving myself the money for the 45 deg elbow silicone coupling and the air horn that i bought from autozone. so this cold air ended up costing me only what i paid for the K&N

And a sound clip.

http://www.youtube.com/v/2A-YxdQEkmY

I accelerate through 1st and 2nd, stopping at about 60-65 with the windows up. The only other mod you can hear is i have the premuffler and the resonator removed, stock cat and stock header.

I feel a pretty good difference from before. It was enough that my wife (knows nothing of cars) noticed the car pulling harder than it used to (i get on it once in a while so she knew what it felt like). I am really pleased with the gains i got from this, and i strongly recommend it to all of the budget guys.

Enjoy!

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Very nice. I did the delete as well but I eventually modded it to a SRI intake. It's louder but there is definitely a greater gain. I basically removed the box and placed a cylinder air filter in its place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this perhaps does not directly relate to the topic, but I have an issue as it relates to air intake which cold air intakes is better AEM or Injen ? And why?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the info but the thread didn't really differentiate between the two brands, although it was kinda suggested that Injen might be the better of the two, but what a
about dyno sheet results-whp, torque,etc...

·
Registered
38 Posts
My research so far found that the AEM has an additional port for the relocation of the oxy sensor as well as a the tubing is a bit bigger, which should give more power.

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
My research so far found that the AEM has an additional port for the relocation of the oxy sensor as well as a the tubing is a bit bigger, which should give more power.
Bigger tubing doesn't mean more power, simply because your TB/IM is limited to air sucking in. So no matter how big it is, there's bottleneck.

At low-mid throttle, you might actually lose some reaction time because the tube will needs more time to fill up air, hence the normal lag from CAI but more for bigger tube.

At mid-high throttle, your engine is already sucking the fresh air @ best so it might help a bit, but I doubt it's noticable.

Bored your TB/IM or switch to the 06 for slightly bigger (64mm VS 60mm) TB. I bored mine to 71mm on TB/IM.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
AEM is a Short Ram intake still, K&N/ Injen is a full cold air,

Colder air = HP

·
Registered
55 Posts
nice mod i did something similiar but i was able to mod and turn the stock elbo forward and then cut the vents out in the factory grille were fog lights would go. I did have a SRI.

being an autostick the air box actually works better it doesn;t seem to breath as well in vtec but has more down low for the low rpm's out of the hole.

your factory snorkel looks different then mine did too. ????? who knows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what if i just take out the intake resonator... without adding or removing anything else, would that make any difference to the car, or that would hurt the car?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Nope, I've said several times that removing the resonator, and adding a K&N/Spoon Filter would be a real nice mod for the TSX.

·
Registered
55 Posts
removing the resinators are basicall what we are doing, theres 2 one huge one smaller. once its removed i basically just turned the pipe which isn't neccisary.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
2,851 Posts
I think I'm going to do what you did. Last Friday I took out the big box, but I have the tubing left over. When I install my fogs I'm going to take the time and put on that extender pipe. I like the growl, subtle, but still sounds pretty nice IMO.

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are any number of combinations to do it, all in all the thing you are trying to improve are the intake temperatures. From my experience with past vehicles any little thing you can do to improve your intake temperatures will give you power. For example, one of my buddies had a K24 Frankenstein in a full drag prepped CRX. At the time the motor was completely stock with the exception of the header and exhaust he needed to get the motor to work in the car, an SRI, and KPRO. In the testing he was doing to take full advantage of the timing he was implementing, he realized that any intake temperature above 80 degrees F the computer would start retarding off some of the timing. so he played with some stuff to get the intake temps back below 80. so in essence what i am getting at, is every degree cooler you get your intake is that much more power.

I shy away from metallic intakes because they heat soak so easily, so i prefer to keep the stock intakes and modify them for better flow/temperature. As i have done not only on my TSX but my EF Hatch, My old Accord, and even my wife's car.

I ran a 14.3 @ 98 in the 1/4 /w a 2.2 60ft in my accord, which was basically stock. Modified stock intake, Stock header, high flow CAT, 2.5" exhaust, UR Underdrive crank pulley, Fidanza 8lb Flywheel, and an F1 Stage 3 Clutch. But i did as much as i could to improve intake temps, otherwise there is no way i would have gotten that car to that low of a quarter on shitty tires. (car weighed 3000 pounds with me in it)

Sorry for rambling, but that is just my testament for intake temps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
chuson, hey i just want to give you major props on ur tsx yo it is sick dude. I just bought mine today and i could only hope that i could make mine look as good as yours.

·
-
1,575 Posts
Great write up & pics. Thanks for sharing.

I had a close look at the intake system today. I plan to do exactly as you.

It's not about spending money, it's about well thought out mods that improve the car.
And I always prefer the low buck "stealth" mods over the expensive flash.

...Joe

1 - 20 of 84 Posts