Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
-
1,575 Posts
I did this mod last nite & it's great!

Getting the air resonator out without removing the front bumper is a pain but can be done.
Just peel the front bumper away from the fender a bit to get that front bolt out.
The battery doesn't have to come out.
There is another pain in butt bolt to get out under the battery but it can be reached with a super long extension from underneath.

You will need 2 screw clamps, 3-4 inches in diameter.
I siliconed the tube to the rubber elbow, let it dry overnite & also added a screw clamp.

I also ported & polished the upper and lower stock air box.
Smoothed the entry/exits & removed a bunch of the ribs.

With the stock paper air filter you can barely notice any change unless you really slam the throttle. I will not likely add a K&N filter until the warranty is over.

The mod is totally undetectable from the engine compartment. A dealer mechanic will never notice unless he went looking. Plus it's nice to get rid of that air tube & cover clutter by the battery.

Again, huge props to H22_CD5 for the info...:tu:

·
it's a lifestyle
538 Posts
I ran my intake like this for a little while in conjunction with a K&N drop-in, it definitely helped but it was minuscule compared to the full K&N intake I now have installed.

On a budget, this modification is worth the time otherwise I'd recommend a full system.

·
-
1,575 Posts
I ran my intake like this for a little while in conjunction with a K&N drop-in, it definitely helped but it was minuscule compared to the full K&N intake I now have installed.

Can you show us the before & after dyno results?!!

I'm just kidding & not trying to be argumentative... but without actual dyno results or 1/4 mile times, you really don't know..

This applies to every mod, to every car. Power & performance must be measured before any claims can be made.

..Joe

·
it's a lifestyle
538 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can attest to how much better the car feels/drives with the different intake system; my throttle response improved and low end power-feel. Personally, I'm not going to go out and spend $50-$100 just so I can prove my car gained something from an intake (especially when there are numerous comparisons already out there showing gains from the K&N, Injen, AEM, and Comptech).

Even if the aftermarket intake didn't make any extra power the better drivability was well worth the purchase.

It has been proven that the TSX responds VERY well to basic bolt-ons and even more so when tuned.

·
-
1,575 Posts

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I took this a little further and converted it into a ram air in the foglight filler similar to the J's Racing one.

I took the stock foglight filler and cut the ribs out and laid some fiberglass over it.

I had to cut the black tube back before it starts to taper larger so the coupling would fit over it, then I added a 45 degree elbow, and a 5'' coupler. This is what it looks like inside the bumper, from the Airbox to the foglight filler.

I smoothed it out some more, added some bondo to fill in the smaller imperfections in the fiberglass, sanded it down and painted it. I had to notch the inside of the lower radiator support (I can provide pictures if needed), but other than that it works great.

I could have smoothed it out more but I got lazy and it looks pretty good on the car anyway. It really improved highway accelleration, no more downshifting to pass. Not to mention I am not as worried about it in the rain anymore. Since it is on the front of the car and not by the wheel anymore so no worrying about puddles splashing from the wheel well. I also cut the end off the little side pipe just incase something gets sucked in, the engine would still be able to breate. You could fit a screen over the back of it to prevent sucking stuff up all together. But I am pretty happy with it like this. Now I can guarantee I am getting the coldest air possible.

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
NICE..... hows it feel ?

i was thinking of opening up the vent this weekend.... thinking i will do it on each side so it doesnt stick out as much

·
got some new shoes :)
3,491 Posts
dude ive been talking about doing this with my girlfriend and then i saw this , looks awesome bro!

·
porkchop
1,390 Posts
how about water coming in as you drive.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
^ +1

So I took this a little further and converted it into a ram air in the foglight filler similar to the J's Racing one.

I took the stock foglight filler and cut the ribs out and laid some fiberglass over it.

I had to cut the black tube back before it starts to taper larger so the coupling would fit over it, then I added a 45 degree elbow, and a 5'' coupler. This is what it looks like inside the bumper, from the Airbox to the foglight filler.

I smoothed it out some more, added some bondo to fill in the smaller imperfections in the fiberglass, sanded it down and painted it. I had to notch the inside of the lower radiator support (I can provide pictures if needed), but other than that it works great.

I could have smoothed it out more but I got lazy and it looks pretty good on the car anyway. It really improved highway accelleration, no more downshifting to pass. Not to mention I am not as worried about it in the rain anymore. Since it is on the front of the car and not by the wheel anymore so no worrying about puddles splashing from the wheel well. I also cut the end off the little side pipe just incase something gets sucked in, the engine would still be able to breate. You could fit a screen over the back of it to prevent sucking stuff up all together. But I am pretty happy with it like this. Now I can guarantee I am getting the coldest air possible.
does it hurt mpg having more air flow in the car like this? ive asked this question many times already but people seem to have different opinions. i personally dont care but i am curious about it just in case when someone who does care asks me, i can give them a decent explanation.

my guess would be, it shouldnt really matter as long as you have stock headers/exhuast??? :donno:

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
im basically in the process of doing the same thing on my 06 with the side vent instead of the fog light

the L horn on the CT icebox sits about 5" above the vent..... im thinking of ditching the L piece and just connecting a 3" stainless pipe which will extend to RIGHT behind that vent...some bending will be necessary

as of now the vents are closed and have no holes..... im thinking of either cutting out the vents or possibly taking out the drill and creating 10-15 holes to increase airflow into the former resonator area, might have to do this on both sides just so that it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb on that side

creative thinking tho..... +1 for you
enjoy your new intake.... how hard do you think it is to suck up water with it in this location ???

im assuming the only way its possible is to be at WOT while driving right behind a car during the rain

·
-
1,575 Posts
Not sure I would do this for a daily driver but rain will not be a factor unless you completely submerged the opening in water while stopped.
I don't think this would be a good idea in an area that gets snow either.

I would recommend some kind of screen over the opening to keep out rocks, birds, large bugs, etc...
A fairly stiff 1/4" mesh metal screen painted black is what I have on my Mustang.

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
just so happens i have some grill mesh from my accord grills.... a bird !?!?! haha i guess it IS possible....

im thinking of opening the vent with the dremel and just having the intake inlet right there behind it....perpendicular to the air flow of the vent, so the air would suck it straight up instead of sucking it in and then up

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
i was thinking about doing this, but i saw that there is an air vent in the tire well that makes me skeptical.... iive searched, and many have said it wont suck in water casue itll go straight down and exit underneath the car. however if wouldnt the car still suck up some water? planning on just takin the resonator out and leavin it like that for awhile. any help guys?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts