Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JR
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the Android headunit for the TSX from China about 2 months ago. Just wanted to share my experience with it overall and also a problem I’m having with it that maybe someone might know the answer to. In the end I had to uninstall it because the HVAC is not working correctly for me. But I’ll start with the good before I get to that.

This is the exact unit I bought:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bbUS5Lfi

Installation: installation was pretty easy if you have a little experience or watch a couple videos. It’s basically plug and play and is a direct fit.

Look: I think it looks fantastic. The screen is big and it makes the interior of our 15 year old car look modern and clean. It looks like it belongs and not immediately noticeable that it is aftermarket. There is a big empty space between the screen and the cubby but that doesn’t bother me.

Use: It is pretty responsive and the UI is pretty good. The AC controls (if they worked) are easy to access with the floating button that is always on screen no matter which app you are in. The radio functions great and picks up stations well. The steering wheel controls work and can be programmed to do whatever you want. Bluetooth worked well for me for music and calls. The microphone is on the front of the unit and when I’m on the phone with someone they can tell I’m on speakerphone but they can understand me well enough. One thing that does bother me a little is when you are on the phone it is impossible to access any other app while on a call. If you try to exit the phone or open the climate controls it will not let you.

Backup camera: I paid additional for the backup camera and after booking g it up it works well. Pops up automatically when put in reverse, there is about a 3-4 second delay when put in reverse before the video pops up.

HVAC: So despite everything I like about the unit, I had to uninstall it because my climate controls are not working properly and that’s the one thing I cannot live with. When I say not properly I don’t mean there’s just lag. Basically when first installed it will blow out cold air when set to Low (or cold.) But when I put the temperature up to hot and back to cold the system does not want to switch back to cold. No matter what I do from that point it will not switch back to cold.

I’ve tried resetting the unit to factory settings. I’ve tried different CAN BUS settings that are built in. I read somewhere with the Metra double din dash kit before you uninstall the OEM climate controls to put the AC fan all the way up and turn circulation off. So I reinstalled the stock unit and did that and reinstalled the Android unit after. It worked for a bit until I went all the way to Hi and it would not switch back. Usually disconnecting the car battery for a bit and putting it back will allow for cold AC again. The seller from AliExpress sent me a knee AC board which had to be installed by taking off the back of the unit and soldering a few wires on. It still does not function correctly after the new board.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if anyone knows a solution. I really wish I could use the headunit especially that I spent almost $400 on it and now it’s useless. I haven’t tried updating the Android OS or CAN BUS or MCU. I’m not 100% sure where to find the correct one but I’ve heard it’s the same unit used for the Accord 7 by Joying.

Any help would be appreciated!
-JR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems no one had this issue. I am having this issue and I haven't even installed the new head unit as yet. Lol.
A mean the issue is in my head about how will the AC integrates and work properly. im afraid of removing the stock and install android radio and start having trouble with AC. I found a video on YouTube with a guy that installed his and it looked so good and seem to work for him. He said the AC functions Integrated but he didnt go in depth with exactly how. I am trying to figure out as well, does the android unit comes with climate control functions already built in or the AC settings popup when you reconnect the car wires/cable to new after market unit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Take the original poster’s words as a warning. Too many failure points and too expensive to gamble on. I suggest using an adapter to tap into the stock system and using your phone for media. Something like this : Acura TSX without Navigation
I'm with you blue, those android head units are pretty universally reviewed poorly when it comes to the HVAC. My half measure plan is to keep the stock NAV in my 06, then use a displaylink adapter to mirror my Pixel 3 display on the stock NAV using the backup camera input on the stock NAV DVD unit in the trunk. That way i can put gauges on the stock NAV display for vitals like intake air temp and coolant temp using my OBD2 bluetooth adapter. I have the kiwi one permanently installed, hidden away in the red not an ashtray pocket so i can switch it on and off when i want to keep track. Got a super low profile OBD2 extension cable that sits flush to the port.

Phone > usb C to A adapter > Displaylink adapter > HDMI to RCA digital to analog converter> Stock GPS Nav input. Audio is handled over bluetooth. It's a lot of little boxes and wiring but it works, and is way cheaper than the Navics adapter to mirror an android phone to the OEM 8" Display. Spent less than $50 for all the parts needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts