Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want a boost gauge in my car. Sounds simple, right? Not really..... I've done lots of research on where people put them. The A-pillar is a terrible idea, last thing I want is a gauge flying in my face if the airbag ever goes off. Another idea was on top of the steering column or in front of the cluster, but I didn't like the fact that it would cover either the fuel or temp gauge. The cubby under the stereo is a bad idea because a) I like the storage room b) if i ever modify it, ill put a screen in there. So that doesn't leave me with any good options that don't look ricey.

I have a little bit of electrical knowledge, im a first year EE student, so i know my way around. So I thought hey what the hell, might as well make a small boost gauge that I can put anywhere.

After searching for what I need, I found the three main components.
1) MPX5100 pressure sensor
2)LM3914 Flash ADC comparator and LED driver
3)10 LED bar display

The sensor is rated at 15 psi, which is more than enough for the supercharger.

So the sensor will produce a voltage that will go into the display driver, and using potentiometers i will fine tune how many psi i want per LED, its still up in the air, im thinking 1 light=1 PSI, because I have plans for higher boost later.

I have this circuit built on a breadboard and now I have to check and make sure it works, then fine tune it, solder it on a board and install. Ill post some pictures of the progress!

Any feedback or ideas are appreciated!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Highly doubt an A pillar gauge would be a hazard. This is a mythical concern with the 2008+ Subaru crowd; plenty of videos have shown the airbag won't affect the A-pillar. Going to assume it is the same here.

Anyway, cool project. Good luck.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
Why not learn to program with "C" and use a Microchip PIC to read the ADC port, thus converting the analog voltage to a digital value and then use a 2 digit LED display to output the boost value in psi?

Perhaps you could integrate the display into the cluster?

Here is a good resource for electronics stuff: Welcome to Howtronics - Electronics

Or, if you want something nice that already integrates perfectly with the TSX interior, check out the DGauge:

:sprint:

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not learn to program with "C" and use a Microchip PIC to read the ADC port, thus converting the analog voltage to a digital value and then use a 2 digit LED display to output the boost value in psi?

Perhaps you could integrate the display into the cluster?

Here is a good resource for electronics stuff: Welcome to Howtronics - Electronics

Or, if you want something nice that already integrates perfectly with the TSX interior, check out the DGauge:

If this will all work, i plan on eventually using an Arduino and have it display a few things.

Highly doubt an A pillar gauge would be a hazard. This is a mythical concern with the 2008+ Subaru crowd; plenty of videos have shown the airbag won't affect the A-pillar. Going to assume it is the same here.

Anyway, cool project. Good luck.
Thanks for the input, just dont want that chance. And i just don't want a gauge on the A-Pillar

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a little update.

I have built the prototype on a breadboard and plugged it in, after some tuning, i got it to where i want it! Heres a video of it in action.

Flash ADC boost gauge, 5PSI Acura TSX supercharged. - YouTube

A few pictures of what it looks like.

It is indeed a very simple circuit only using 1 IC chip, so it will be cake to soldier it up.

As of right now i'm under $20 in parts. It will be about $25 after the vacuum line. Its just a simple thing, but its cool and i'm learning from it.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts