Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

By this point I'm not sinking any real money into my TSX, which means it's never going to be very fast. But I have experimented with a variety of exhaust and intake options in order to help it breathe better and get a decent sound. From stock to the homemade 'icebox' CAI to header and TP to exhaust resonator removal to a catback exhaust. All of this was getting obnoxious for my taste so I put the resonator back on along with the stock catback.

However, I thought for $27 I'd try this Advance Auto 'Spectre' brand air filter. It is made to fit either 2.5, 3 or 3.5". The 3.5" mode fits perfectly over the stock pipe and tightens up nice. Install was only 5 minutes.

The bottom half of my homemade CAI is feeding it cool air and actually it doesn't get that hot even after driving around all day. This piece is actually pretty decent quality. The sound is nice and can only be heard at WOT. The butt dyno says it's helped a bit but I realize that this could be placebo.

Either way, I'm real happy with the sound, it sounds deep and not raspy at all. One thing that is awesome here: immediately after installing my WR header and open test pipe, I noticed a very annoying 'air sound'. I had it checked, there are no leaks - you who have the same setup know this is normal. It's always annoyed me. With this SRI setup that noise is masked/replaced with something better.

Anyhow enjoy the pics and videos. If you're looking for a cheap mod that will bring some nice sound, I highly recommend this one.

PIC (yes, I do eat off my engine bay):

VID OUTSIDE:
2004 TSX with DIY SRI outside - YouTube
or here's the embed...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5xuXICJpHhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VID INSIDE:
2004 TSX with DIY SRI inside - YouTube
or here's the embed...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tSe0edqst4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Yep too I bought a aftermarket cone filter and it fits perfectly on the stock intake hose.. no special tubes or adapters are needed.

·
Jeff
902 Posts

here's mine! Still experimenting with the length of the PVC piping. I bought an Amsoil filter with 3.5" ID, so I wasn't able to just clamp it over the stock tube like your spectre filter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was thinking of this greentrees when I found my old stock intake parts. I might switch back to this and sell my K&N Typhon CAI.

here's mine! Still experimenting with the length of the PVC piping. I bought an Amsoil filter with 3.5" ID, so I wasn't able to just clamp it over the stock tube like your spectre filter.
I was looking at the Amsoil filter also. I read that it has a built in velocity stack. Is that true?

·
Registered
292 Posts
That Amsoil filter looks to be the go. If the inside lip is curved as smooth as the outside then that's a velocity stack.

One thing though, if you're inserting the PVC tube into it, and the tube has a square lip, it will undo any good the velocity stack brings and destroy the even air flow.
Well worth while to dremel, file or sand the inside of the tube so that there is as smooth a transition as possible between the two parts with no step. Best to do this on both ends too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the pics kewlliljethro. I was thinking of getting the bigger id opening amsoil filter to fit over a spectre velocity stack do you think that will be too much since the filter already has a built in velocity stack?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man, that thread is excellent I had not seen it. After I did my DYI as described here I read a bunch, and was discouraged by Heeltoes shoot out results, feeling that my setup was the weakest. Though I swore I'd felt a power gain in my butt dyno, more than just noise. Your findings confirm this, though its still confusing since yours and Heeltoes are in contradiction.

I do have a header and TP and pulleys and reflash so maybe that's why my SRI is making a difference like yours did.

The next plan is to make a Frankenstein SRI CAI combo out of the top of the air box, cutting a hole in it to fit half of the SRI, feeding it air through my homemade CAI icebox which was my previous setup. Ill post info on this once its ready in a few weeks.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
^I made something similar! I don't know it's restricting airflow or whatnot, or if it's even preventing heatsoak. But it's an ongoing project on my part. Need to find material that'll insulate heat better.

And mikeyspec's thread was also the reason why I bought a cone filter, that 11whp is a strange find

And my ghetto mi goreng box

·
Registered
86 Posts
Which spectre air filter model did you get that will clamp onto the stock air filter hose without any modifications?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which spectre air filter model did you get that will clamp onto the stock air filter hose without any modifications?
I found it at Advance Auto Parts for $24.99. It's a universal fit made to fit either 2.5", 3" or 3.5" .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I am bored

This is ultimate proof that I am bored. Got an extra airbox top from a member here and made this:

It's the ultimate CAI/icebox/SRI combo. Cold air fed from the fog light area...hollowed out stock airbox...DIY short ram intake. After vigorous driving I popped the hood and took it apart, the filter was still cool. However, all the nice noise gained from the SRI is gone with the addition of this airbox top. I might have gained +1HP by adding the top on, but it's not worth it to lose the sound from the open SRI, so I'm taking it off. Still, a nice and cheap experiment.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for what you wanted to try. :tu:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is ultimate proof that I am bored. Got an extra airbox top from a member here and made this:

It's the ultimate CAI/icebox/SRI combo. Cold air fed from the fog light area...hollowed out stock airbox...DIY short ram intake. After vigorous driving I popped the hood and took it apart, the filter was still cool. However, all the nice noise gained from the SRI is gone with the addition of this airbox top. I might have gained +1HP by adding the top on, but it's not worth it to lose the sound from the open SRI, so I'm taking it off. Still, a nice and cheap experiment.
I am interested in the box because I am afraid the v-stack and cone is going to be super loud. My parts should come in at the end of the week. It's just a stock box hollowed out right?

Kindest Regards,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am interested in the box because I am afraid the v-stack and cone is going to be super loud. My parts should come in at the end of the week. It's just a stock box hollowed out right?

Kindest Regards,
Yes just a stock box hollowed out and fabricated to fit around the cone filter. My cone filter isn't loud at all, you only notice it at WOT above 3k or so, and then it sounds nice, not obnoxious. The stock box almost completely muted this sound (as expected).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Put a pod on today. It's an oiled type (I'd probably prefer a dry) with a reverse cone filter area at the top.
It had two sleeves to give either a 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0 inch opening.

I ended up using the 4.0" because it was a straight fit over the stock inlet.

I removed the stock ram tube from the stock airbox cover with the idea of using that. It fits into the filter fine, but is only 3.0 inches at the narrow point, so it narrows too much to fit into the stock intake. I found it strange that the stock setup opens from 3.0" at the airbox opening to 3.5 at the intake. I may have another play with that.

The lower airbox is still in place, so hopefully it's dragging some cooler air from there.

Throttle response (as others have said) is better in the mid range, (from 4-7 grand) where the sound is glorious! I love it! Below that you wouldn't know.

I took it for a good 45 minute caning, particularly using the midrange. I'm not sure yet if there's been any power change or loss near peak revs as it's just too hard to feel any difference, but the throttle response in the midrange (where you want to be for overtaking and corner exit) definitely feels crisper.

The large end of the cone (where it fits the intake) was pretty hot on return, but the smaller end near the old airbox was considerably cooler. I may play with opening up the stock ducting and perhaps try to draw some air from the grille area, but I'n mot going to bother with heat shields and the like. I think the ambient temp., being high under the complete hood area would flood behind a shield anyway. Better just to try and get more cool air in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts