Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Another potential soon to be owner of a TSX here. Glad I found this site. Its been very informative and has really helped in making my final decision. We considered the following:

Altima 3.5 SE
Honda Accord V6
Toyota Camry V6 (not that seriously)
Mitsubishi Galant GTS
and of Course the TSX.

My wife did not like the altima. Just wasn't comfortable and the handling was not as tight and sure as the TSX. Did not try the Galant and was a little leary on its reputation even though there were massive cash back deals to be had. We managed to narrow it down to the TSX and Accord.

Notice that we did not consider any european cars. After owing a 98 audi a4 for 7 years and getting a taste of the less than stellar reliability and cost of simple routine repairs I felt it was time for a change. I'm amazed at just how far some of the japanese cars have come. Back in 98 we did not have many choices. The TSX is about as close to the "german" feel, fit and finish that you can get. Of course without the german car headaches!

We are leaning heavily towards the TSX and still may consider the Accord if we cannot get the right deal. I know, they are two different cars but I do have a family so either one would be fine. I have test driven both and while I like the power of the v6 accord, the TSX is much more sporty and in my opinion a lot nicer looking both inside and out. Accords tend to look plain and dated after a couple of years. I'll keep you guys updated on the deal that I get. Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with your general assessment. I would have gotten the Accord if it didn't look so damn ugly. It's really a shame b/c the extra space and much more power of the V6 Accord would be nice to have.

Handling on the Accord could be improved to better than the TSX. Unfortunately, not much can be done to its basic appearance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. I am a proud new owner of a SSM 05 TSX No Navi SShift. It happened rather quickly actually. We went to our local Acura dealer to see if we could get the deal we wanted (similar to what we were quoted from other dealers while we were doing our research). Well, an hour and a half later, they handed me the keys and we were off and on our way. The car had only 15 kms on it. As for whether we got a good deal, its difficult since a trade was involved (a 1998 1.8T Audi A4 Frontrak). I had researched the black book value and it was about $7500 to $9700 cdn$. I was able to get $10000 cdn$ for the trade-in which was a bit higher than what other dealerships were offering. To sell it privately, I would need to get $11400 cdn$ to make it equal (i.e. no discount on taxes from trade-in value if sold privately). I checked the papers and the asking prices were about $12,000 to $13,000 for comparable cars. I also got about $1900 cdn$ discount on the TSX and got the documentation fee waived. Not sure how good a deal this was but I did notice that there were quite a few TSX's a some of the dealerships. I counted at least 16 at one of them.

Some thoughts about the TSX so far:

While I had test driven it 2 times before I bought it, I didn't fully realize just how nice it was until I drove it a lot longer.

Its definitely faster and more than my Audi A4 1.8T was (also an automatic).

The interior is just as nice if not nicer.

Same goes for the tightness of the car and the handling. Sporty without being harsh.

I have the same new car paranoia that I did when we got our Audi A4 (avoid parking in tight places, need to park where I can see the car, etc....)

Anyways, its a really nice car and I can see my wife and I fighting over the use of it!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats coho8888 :thumbsup:

can't wait 4 u to post some pics, SSM is a good choice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts