Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new model, there are a lot of very basic things to wonder about, and maybe the main thing is, are there serious problems? I mean SERIOUS, not things like rattles or paint chipping. (Not that those "little" things don't matter.)

In terms of any serious problems, the TSX so far is looking very good. Actually we didn't have to wonder quite as much as with a totally new model, since it was heavily based on the Euro Accord which had been out for about 7 months, and it was basically the same car as whatever-it's-called that came out in Japan a little bit before the TSX here (I think). (BTW, wtf is that JDM i.e. Japanese version called?) And the early experience in Europe and Japan was very good, so the track record wasn't starting totally from scratch.

And now we have 10 months of experience with the TSX. Our new member "Lamest Duck" posted on the Canada forum about a very serious problem with his TSX:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1067

As they say, nobody got hurt, but he could have. But, although even one instance like this is too many, the TSX seems to have been remarkably free of serious problems.

Although we're TSX fans and we would like to see it do well, we also want to know about any serious problems.

So, ANY SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TSX?

We want to know.

BTW I've had mine since last April (5AT Carbon Gray/Ebony w Nav), 14K miles, no serious problems. A few little things, but nothing serious.
No rattles either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Some rattles. Going in tomorrow for new brake rotors (warped)... probably due to improper break in (bought my car with 67 miles on it).

Other than that, I'm very happy with my car.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Altersys said:
Some rattles. Going in tomorrow for new brake rotors (warped)... probably due to improper break in (bought my car with 67 miles on it).

Other than that, I'm very happy with my car.
Warped rotors tick me off. That has been a problem with my Maxima since I bought it. What is the proper break-in?

Ferg

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ac "black death" its inevitable trust me a design flaw for 2 to 3k in repairs is BS if your in the south and run your AC all the time 60k mileage is about the shelf life check out the crvs with the same units. I miss the relaibilty of Honda Acura from the 90s.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
Everything was cover under acuracare up to 117k but still, could have been almost 10k in repairs.

Navigation died 2x - Could have been 6000 repair, 3k each time
AC - range from 1.5k - 3k
Hub bearins went out
Same brake rotors stuff
Door lock
Brake calipers seized (recent at 135k)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bought my '06 w/ 50,000 miles on it back in July. since then:

replaced 4th gear syncro. It was working great until one day the syncro just vanished like it was never there to begin with. Factory warranty covered it, and there is a TSB for the problem. While the transmission was off, I spent $600 extra to replace the clutch.

three weeks later, I replaced the passenger side door lock actuator

recently, at 60,000 miles my A/C compressor shit the bed with the "black death". a $4100 bill has been good-willed by honda down to $1400.

I have not been impressed by the reliability of this car.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Florida
2,725 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!!!

This tread was 7+ years old.

·
o000WEee TSX
98 Posts
old or not, its help for the tsx owners.. and i'm having similar problems as well such as the passenger side door acuator, rotors shaking,

·
Registered
422 Posts
for those of you with brake shudder on braking - have the dealer or a good brake place perform an on-car brake lathe. cutting rotors off the car don't take into account other parts like bearings and the like. something like a hunter i had my oem rotors done at the dealership (with new pads) and after nearly 25,000 miles in moderate to heavy traffic everyday, my oem rotors are still golden.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bought my '06 w/ 50,000 miles on it back in July. since then:

replaced 4th gear syncro. It was working great until one day the syncro just vanished like it was never there to begin with. Factory warranty covered it, and there is a TSB for the problem. While the transmission was off, I spent $600 extra to replace the clutch.

three weeks later, I replaced the passenger side door lock actuator

recently, at 60,000 miles my A/C compressor shit the bed with the "black death". a $4100 bill has been good-willed by honda down to $1400.

I have not been impressed by the reliability of this car.
^^^ what is this "black death" ac thing? ruh-roh I JUST got my TSX for it being a reliable HONDA but mine has 67k on it...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
wow-all these problems with the 06 tsx. Hoping my 06 continues to be problem free after 126,000+miles

·
Registered
72 Posts
After owning a Civic and Prelude, both 1998 models, I had no doubt my TSX would live up to the legend that is Honda reliability.

However, I had a bad driver door actuator (goodwilled) now the passenger side is shot, the part is only $30 on eBay but it's the principle that they cheapen out on this part using plastic gears. The rotors are a Honda given I decided to replace my fronts with Centric and so far so good. Another problem I have is the vibration so common on TSX forums. I am leaning on it being a bad axle, so overall just many little problems but still a great car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought my 04 TSX in Feb, 2011 with 110k and haven't had any major problems with the exception of the passenger door lock acuator going out. Picked one up at the junkyard for 20 bucks.
The one thing I noticed is a whiney noice when the automatic transmission is shifting gears. It gets louder right before going to the next gear. No problem with shifting but the noice is concerning! Anybody know what this can be?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys I just bought an Acura tsx recently with 153,000 miles on it. Turns out I may have a bad ac compressor. My engine makes a rattling sound everytime I use the car. Sometimes it's very noticeable. Other times it's very faint. I feel as if the previous owner truly neglected this car being in the condition I received it in. I also have that famous center console lighting problem and when I use my remote to unlock the car the drivers side lock does not unlock unless I use the key. I sold my Mazda 3 and bought this car thinking it's going to live up to Honda reliability but so far I'm not too impressed either. Btw I have issues shifting into second sometimes also. I wanna get this all taken care of soo bad because I really love this car despite the issues I'm having.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought an 05 6-spd with 90k on it yesterday, I have a feeling it was babied I hope I dont have these issues. The AC thing bothers me I have not had a car with working AC in years, what exactly costs $4000 parts/labor for the problem is it just the compressor or what?

·
Speed Density
72 Posts
I just bought an 05 6-spd with 90k on it yesterday, I have a feeling it was babied I hope I dont have these issues. The AC thing bothers me I have not had a car with working AC in years, what exactly costs $4000 parts/labor for the problem is it just the compressor or what?
Im looking for an 05 6MT too. Let me know how your goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just bought an 05 auto and im realizing a couple problems that i didnt catch before buying it.. passenger actuator needs to be replaced. rear passenger window does not go down using master controls but only direct.

but really.. the ac thing is bothering me as im at 113k. why would it cost 4000...............................................

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
still problem free (knock-on-wood) after 127,000+miles.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts