Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think quite a few of you have motorcycles, and some of those probably have an R1 or R6.

I'm making my first leap to buy a motorcycle. This doesn't mean I don't know how to ride, just that I've never really owned a real motorcycle before (just some beaters to f around with).

I found a new 2010 R1 white (LOVE the white!), for $11300, or an 09 R6 (also white) for almost $9k, even an FZ6R (again, white) for $6500, and perhaps there are a few more available around here.

I know these are pretty different bikes, not exact comparisons. Anyway, any opinions? Is the 1000 waaaay better then the 600? Anyone opinions on the GSXR?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is the 1000 waaaay better then the 600?

If you are asking if a liter bike is better than a 600 in generic terms, it isn't that one is better than the other.

The way I see it, if you are just cruising around town and doing your usual weekend backroads, a 600 should be adequate for you. If you are planning to do track days or going for longer trips/highway runs, I guess a liter bike would suit you better.

I don't have a bike myself so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I have ridden both displacements (i have my permit and ride with him every now and then since he has a buddy bike). In all honesty, when I rode my friend's ninja 650R, that was plenty of backroad/city power I could need. I know there are bike vets out there with liter+ bikes that would laugh at my comment but I would just see myself getting into too much trouble with a liter bike and no track.

If I ever decide to get a bike of my own, I'd most likely try to build myself a cafe racer or at the very least a street fighter. I feel it is too easy to make a bike your own not to.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If this is your first I would start with a 600 (used) and work your way up. There are a lot of good bikes out there for $2500 - $3500. Remember, there are 2 kinds of riders, those who've layed their bikes down and those that are going to. You can be the safest rider but the person that runs you down isn't. It's better to see a used bike layed over than a brand new bike. I started with a GSXR 600. My first love. And still have a blast with that bike to this day. And yes, I've layed my bike over.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember, there are 2 kinds of riders, those who've layed their bikes down and those that are going to.
Ha, someone I work with said the very same thing.

I probably should have explained a bit further. Like I said, I've ridden bikes before, and was generally pretty good about it, even at higher speeds. I should also mentioned I'm closer to 40 then 20, and have always been a pretty modest driver (not a big risk taker when it comes to driving).

I plan on using the bike for maybe 20-30% of my driving, mostly spring/fall, because if there's one thing we have in DC, it is traffic. The other thing we have almost as much of is humidity. Bad combo. And no lane splitting (not that I would anyway). I'm not really planning any road trips, if I were I'd get something a bit more touring focused.

I'm not hell bent on the R1, but it is the only bike that I've found around here that is exactly what I want. If there was a 2010 R6, I would probably for that instead.

Another thing I've heard is that once I get used to the 600, I'll have wished I got the 1000.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I waited until I was 30 to get my bike. I use my bike for 85% of my yearly commute. I don't ride in the rain or snow and I'll try to ride as long as I can in the winter. I traded one of my cars for my bike and I've had it since 2005. 60,000 miles later I'm still content. Would I like a liter bike yes, do I need a liter bike no. The 600 is fine for what I do. If I was racing it might be a different story. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should also mentioned I'm closer to 40 then 20, and have always been a pretty modest driver (not a big risk taker when it comes to driving).

I plan on using the bike for maybe 20-30% of my driving, mostly spring/fall

Another thing I've heard is that once I get used to the 600, I'll have wished I got the 1000.
First, the type of roads you ride and how frequent affect what bikes to consider. If a lot of it is city and putting around in relatively straight lines, consider the FZ6R. If you are older than younger, the longer you are on the bike, the less you'll enjoy the aggressive position of the R6 and R1.

Those that say you'd wish for the 1000 once you get use to a 600 do not have the skills and experience to ride a 600 to half of its potential. They utilize the additional power to compensate and mask their lack of skill and experience.

Go sit on all the current models and a lot of the answers will come to you. Even answers you have yet have questions to. I have owned many different sportbikes and been dumb enough to teach a few riders, which I gladly will do again :laugh:

Remember, this is a sport of skill and experience. Pushing the envelope too far without both in conjunction is a receipt for disaster.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Regional (United States)
1,204 Posts
A 600-guy here (CBR/GSX-R), and from what you're telling us in terms of intended use, etc., a 600 should suit you fine. That's not to say that if you lust for the R1 not to get it. Personally, I like the idea of riding a smaller/slower bike fast than riding a faster/bigger bike slow. But to each their own. Here in LA, unless you are headed to the canyons or a track day, there is really not much opportunity to open your bike up safely. While a 600 is obviously not the fastest bike out there, I have never wished I had more power. Get the 6, then later if your skillset and desires outgrow it you can always sell and get the liter. But regardless of whichever bike you get, respect it.

Ride safe -

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
Ha, someone I work with said the very same thing.

I probably should have explained a bit further. Like I said, I've ridden bikes before, and was generally pretty good about it, even at higher speeds. I should also mentioned I'm closer to 40 then 20, and have always been a pretty modest driver (not a big risk taker when it comes to driving).

I plan on using the bike for maybe 20-30% of my driving, mostly spring/fall, because if there's one thing we have in DC, it is traffic. The other thing we have almost as much of is humidity. Bad combo. And no lane splitting (not that I would anyway). I'm not really planning any road trips, if I were I'd get something a bit more touring focused.
I'm not hell bent on the R1, but it is the only bike that I've found around here that is exactly what I want. If there was a 2010 R6, I would probably for that instead.

Thanks for the responses.
You answered your own question.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own the original 1999 R6 and use it for once a year track days but mostly for riding to and from work when its nice out. Both are stupid fast for the money. I mean 10 grand for something that does 150 mph and 0-60 in under 3 seconds. How awesome is that? At the track the 600 handles better but the 1000 pulls away on the straight. On the street you have to row through the gears more on a 600 while on the 1000 you can usually get aways with only 3 of the 6 gears in town. Im 37 and when I buy another bike it will be a 600 because I like the lighter weight and better handling at the track. By the way my R6 has never been to the shop other than tire replacement. When tracking it I shift at redline with no clutch and its been bulletproof in the 11 years Ive owned it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive owned sport bikes for over 10 years now, and have done my fair share of track days and I would suggest getting the 600. I still ride a 600 and honestly, I dont really have a desire to get a 1000. On a 1000 you have very little room for rider error, especially with todays bikes. If you just on the throttle just a little too hard exiting a turn youll high side (not saying that cant hapen on a 600, but harder to do). IMO until i can get 100% out of my 600 i have no need for a 1000. Plus, i think the 600's are just more fun. They are much more nimble in the corners and you can hammer them. As stated above, even if your a pro rider the 600 will be faster in the corners and the liter faster in a straight line.
I would never suggest a 1000 for a beginer/novice rider. I would start on a ninja 250, ride it for a summer and then get a 600 next season. You will prob be a much better rider that way.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
600 owner here as well (Gsxr now cbr) and I've never needed more power than the 600 has offered. My first track day is coming up in two weeks when I'll really get to open her up

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all, I appreciate the inputs.

Kuma, I'm a little confused about what you mean. Are you saying that I should, or should not get something more touring focused. I think that is the FZ6, looks pretty nice, better then earlier models IMHO.

I sat on the 1000, it was tight, lean, I felt like I could lean on it, more like flying then driving (not flying in terms of speed). It felt more highway at night at 80 mph, more evil, more connected, driving with purpose. I sat on the FZR, it seemed more upright, more easy driving, more country road on a sunny day, driving for enjoyment. That pic makes it look a lot cooler then the one I looked at.

Two other things I forgot to mention:
#1 I found a new R1 for $10899 (pretty damn cheap)
#2 On 2011, and 2010 (perhaps older) there are performance settings, at least on the Yamaha, and Suzuki, that can be set lower (for some damn reason).

I think I'll have to sit on them a few more times to get a better feel. Thanks for everyone's input, experienced rider or not. I'm not sure why I have such a preference for Yamaha bikes. I drive a Honda, have only every ridden Suzuki (not many) but something about the designs really have me hooked.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
The FZ6 is good for cruising and can handle turns when needed. I honestly think a liter bike is completely unnecessary. A few of my friends have liter bikes and its not as nimble as a 600. I own a 600. I'm converting it for touring because I ride it for 3-4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Is that your bike? It looks kind of like the FZ1.

I think it just comes down to sleekness/aesthetics. I haven't seen a white bike, at least not that I remember. Most every bike I see it black/red/blue or some combination of those. How much emphasis do you (all) put on looks?

I like the white R1 for the same reason I like the TSX; it looks refined without being loud. It looks stealthy, but not hidden. It looks aerodynamic without looking like an F-35.

Yeah, sorry if this thread is getting too long, or my descriptions are going a bit overboard. :confused: I think I was looking for a :slap: or a :nono: from you more experienced guys.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kuma, one question for you, since you seem to have many outfits for your bike. Where do you get those? I've seen fairing kits for the R6 that are not offered from the factory, that look incredible.

If you have any reputable links, that would be cool.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
Kuma, one question for you, since you seem to have many outfits for your bike. Where do you get those? I've seen fairing kits for the R6 that are not offered from the factory, that look incredible.

If you have any reputable links, that would be cool.
MotoFans when they had their promos. Got the fairing dirt cheap. Lol

·
Stealth Ninja
13 Posts
I would also echo the 250 as a viable starter bike for those starting off into riding.
From the sounds of it you already know how to ride so a 600cc is a no-brainer really.

The R6 is a beautiful bike but also check out the revamped ZX6R as it teared up the competition when it came out and still is. I am a little bit Kawi biased but did own a Honda CBR600 F4i which was good to me as well.

Whatever you choose; ride safe.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
If you can afford it, get a 600, play around and get litre bike later. I started on a 500 and it was underpowered. Always borrowed my buddies 600rr(cbr) or sv650. The 600rr was way better. I eventually moved up to a k7 gsxr1000 bc I couldn't get the 750 in burnt orange and black, and this one was super cheap (military guy shipped off). Best bike of my life. Never had problems with almost high-siding - you do that on any bike, constant speed if you want to drag a knee or get low like that. (and don't do that stuff on the streets, you're asking for it)
Whenever I borrowed the 600s after that it felt SO underpowered only bc there's more kick in the 1000 at low rpm, where as the 600 has to wind out. It is NOT actually underpowered as a bike. 600s are so sweet for maneuverability you can turn those bikes with just your knees. 1000s feel much heavier and are lower to the ground but much more stable at high speeds. I'm embarrassed to say I've taken it to around 308km/h no matter how many times I check the stretch it's silly on an open highway. But it was solid as a rock. (my
Icon helmet however was bobbling in the wind.
Also people always say you might accidentally wheelie over on a 1k but that's bs you still have to work at it. I've never almost accidentally went over despite what my buddy tried to say. Sit properly. If you want to take off hard, lean over tank more. Don't need to pop the clutch you're just going to squid around in your spot or wheelie then freak out and slam down on your nuts.

That said if you actually NEVER want to feel like your underpowered go for the 1k, but the 600 will be very fun. And cheaper for insurance! (I paid $3600 for 5months riding)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts