Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my teins installed 3 days ago, and I been noticing a lot of sqeaks and such coming from all 4 sides whenever I hit a bump or something.

Am I the only TEIN owner to have this problem?
Yes I know coilovers do tend to make noises, but this is a different kind of sound. Coilovers usually make a metal to metal banging kinda sound, this noise i'm hearing is just like a squeak.

Btw, does anybody know what that little TEIN spray can is that was included with the coilovers? My mechanic says its probably lubricant, so he sprayed all 4 corners with it.

Anywho, if anybody knows how I can solve the squeaking problem, please help.

- Najeeb

Here's pics btw..
(i think i'm going to lower the front half another 1/2 inch or so)

Watcha guys think?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
full coilovers.
adjustable spring height and adjustable ride stiffness

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
car looks great, but coilover noise must be annoying. I would call Tein and ask why there is noise..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I have Tein Basics on my EP3 (2002 Civic Si) and no noise issues now and no spray was included. However, I bet the noise you are hearing is related to the OEM (plastic) shock dust covers bottoming out on the Tein shocks. This was an issue with my Teins in the rear initially. So, spray that lube on the bottom of the dust covers and see if that does the trick...you may also need to trim about 1 inch off the dust covers so they will not bottom out. BTW, I just sprayed the dust covers in the rear with WD40 & that took care of my noise problem...I should have trimmed them back but after about a week of driving they were worn down enough to not need trimming.

I hope that helps. :)

Oh yeah, it looks great...looks like my car! ;) Have fun with it...it's going to be awhile till I do a full suspension swap again.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
118 Posts
i am guessing you have the tein flex system. you know you can adjust that from the bottom have of the strut or from the springs . i have the flex on my ride and i do get a little squeking from the rear springs . i havent really played around to pin point the problem but i know they could be a natural noise due to the stiffness of the springs.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's common to have coilovers making squeaking/contact noise, it's the nature you have to sacrifice for the improved handling. The higher the spring rate, the more noises will be heard/generated when driven on poor tarmac surfaces. Dial-down the damper rates if you want to reduce the noise but it's pretty much a "part-and-parcel" relation when using any type of performance coilovers.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
703 Posts
geez... 1 yr and 3 months and the thread returns!

my teins make minimal noise, just a bit of a clunk when you hit a bump at freeway speeds. dont know about the squeaks, since I dont have them.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
703 Posts
I think the Tein SS and FLEX are worth the money you pay for them, the basics seem "eh" for me.... not too excited about them.

·
TSeX Navigator
110 Posts
Teins make small clunking noises! Everything is fine! There shouldn't be any squeaking, but a light clunking sound is normal. I have discussed this with Tein reps and there suggestion was to set your dampening to the stiffest setting and ride it for a few days. Then go back to the setting you like and it should resolve the issue. My TeinSS make small clunking noises that I can hear if my stereo is off. It is normal! What you're hearing is the coilovers doing there job. I am not sure about the squeaking though.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
703 Posts
i get tiny little clunks with my car too when i go over certain bumps.

anyone else find the clicks on the teins to be less than "exact"? they seem kinda sloppy and my max seems to be at 16.5 on one... so does that mean I'm not getting all the way to 16 or just past 16? I don't want to turn it more to see and then have it be damaged...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
digitalHorizon said:
i get tiny little clunks with my car too when i go over certain bumps.

anyone else find the clicks on the teins to be less than "exact"? they seem kinda sloppy and my max seems to be at 16.5 on one... so does that mean I'm not getting all the way to 16 or just past 16? I don't want to turn it more to see and then have it be damaged...
There's more (or at least there should be) more than 16 clicks available, but you shouldn't turn it past 16. I know of one owner who was in the low 20s and it didn't do any damage, but Tein says stop at 16.

If you do go past 16, you apparently run the risk of unthreading the adjusting mechanism from the strut rod, which would then require complete disassembly of the coilover by the factory to reconnect it.....

I can hear some slight compression of the strut with the window down and the radio off at very lows speeds, but I wouldn't call it squeeking or knocking.......

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
digitalHorizon said:
I think the Tein SS and FLEX are worth the money you pay for them, the basics seem "eh" for me.... not too excited about them.
why?
Basic and SS are basically the same just without dampen adjust
unless u going to drop more than 2 inch you should be fine XD

btw...anyone using basic that is having the noise problem?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Too many adjustments may not necessarily mean good. It simply means a more fine tune possibility. However, the adjustments are so fine tuned. Unless you're really taking it all the way on the track doing competitive work, half of the time it's a greater pain trying to get a comfortable setting than actually seeing the differences.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
kyotousa said:
why?
Basic and SS are basically the same just without dampen adjust
unless u going to drop more than 2 inch you should be fine XD

btw...anyone using basic that is having the noise problem?
I have the basics, and yes I have the minor noise, but it only comes from the rear for whatever reason. Dosent really bother me though...

I love the basics...Sure it would be great to adjust the dampning, but they make the car sit nice and straight through the hard turns, and thats good enough for me.

·
Donating Member
73 Posts
*disclaimer* I do not know much about suspension, but:

Why go with coilovers vs. strut / spring combination?

I had Eibach pro kit springs w/ Koni yellows on my '99 Civic SI and the look / ride was great....and no noise!

I am leaning towards an '06 TSX (may go TL) and I am pretty sure I will just go with Eibach pro's again w/ Koni's.....I don't understand why people spend so much on coilovers?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Noel said:
Too many adjustments may not necessarily mean good. It simply means a more fine tune possibility. However, the adjustments are so fine tuned. Unless you're really taking it all the way on the track doing competitive work, half of the time it's a greater pain trying to get a comfortable setting than actually seeing the differences.
I agree, especially with a coilover setup. I never touched my old Civic Tein Basic coilover suspension after I got it set to the right height and I even AutoX'ed that car. It's more trouble than it's worth in most cases, but being able to adjust stiffness/rebound and all is worth it (they are usually a lot easier to adjust than height). A set Mugen suspension or something like it is what I'm probably going to do sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts