Acura TSX Forum banner

Anyone ever taken our taillights apart?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Velocifero 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there is a red insert in the rear signals that can be removed, to reduce the amount of red filtering.

I would imagine that the differences between JDM and USDM rear signals were made as cheaply as possible - i.e. a different color lens inserted inside an otherwise identical light housing. The amber corners still have a reddish outer lens, so the difference must be only on the inside.

I'm thinking if there is a red insert, it could be removed, and then maybe an amber bulb would do the trick.

So - anyone ever taken a 1G taillight apart?

If not I'm gonna give it a shot.

#2 ·
I have the JDM tails and here's how they work. It's actually the JDM lights that have the insert. They've got an amber insert on the inside. The outer lens is also different from USDM ones. They are red but it's a lot fainter which allows the amber to shine through. During the day, if you're really close to the lights, the outer lens almost looks pink and you can see the amber lens on the inside.

On the USDM lights, if I remember correctly, there is no insert. It's just a deep red outer lens and then the bulb. You can try putting an amber bulb in there but I doubt it'll shine through. Maybe if you tried a yellow bulb, the yellow will mix with the red to make amber.

#3 ·
I tried both an amber and yellow bulb and it didn't do anything. My conclusion was that the red filtering was too deep.

I was thinking I'd try to put some yellow lamin-X on the outside - there is a little grove around the edge that it would fit into pretty cleanly I think. I'm afraid it'll still be a little too redish, and also that the red will poke through when viewed from extreme angles.

Guess there is no cheap way to go here! :)

#4 ·
I actually have an 04 set cracked open right now. Doing an LED rig. I'm not sure what you mean, but the lenses are all red. There are no inserts. i'd show you a pic, but Unfortunately the outers are tinted already.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
I ordered the led boards from MMSport | Innovative lighting solutions for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.... just the boards incl the soldered-on leds... 'cob' (component/chip on board) i think they are called.. am going to do the work myself... 250 greens just for the plastic was too much for me... cheaping out, but hoping to learn more along the way... taking for ever to get made/sent though... 3 weeks in the 'making' now anxiously awaiting the ta-dam (arrival)...
Acc-Man

#8 ·
Oh, please do post pics when you're done. When I have a little scratch, this is the route I'm going (I might spend the extra hundred for the plastic, though). I love my LED bulbs, but my baby deserves better.

#11 ·
Pixs of said led taillights, not installed yet, but hooked up to a 9v block battery, for reference/checking:
ImageShack Album - 5 images
Acc-Man

#12 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the progress post! I'm scraping together an extra set of tails for this mod as we speak, so I'll be joining in on the fun soon.

#13 ·
Hey, not a prob.... And Aragrev7 is/was right... I asked the seller for a bit of info about how to install... he asked how good i am with a dremel... so yes, this means cutting the lights apart to access the internals to swap out the guts... he was maybe going to make a vid for youtube, but wasn't totally sure, as not to "leak the/their secrets"... i can understand him/them... too many followers/copy-cats that might take or gnaw at their business/earnings...
Acc-Man

#14 ·
Ppl like me. If you need help with this, I can help you out. But, you simply just Dremel using the cutting wheel tool, along the perimeter. Once you get all the way around, it comes apart. I'll have to give you more instructions, so if you have iMessage or WhatsApp, we can do it that way. I have some pics too.
Honestly, the inner ring is $7.95, and the outer ring is 11.95,
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-headlight-accent-lights
You just stick them in the bulb recess and wire them to the socket's +/- terminals and done. Maybe a few less LEDs, I didn't count. They certainly charge a lot for a straightforward product. Now if they overhauled the design like mine, that's a bit more work! They should look into more custom designs. Would be interesting.

#15 ·
I almost failed Delaware inspection today because of the JDM tails. He was like, "Your rear side markers are out." Everything else was good so I was passed. So I guess they are important. I'd like to somehow combine the JDM lens with the USDM outer housing but it seems like a real pain in the ass. So in another 2 years I'll probably keep the stock ones in the trunk just in case the next guy doesn't pass me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.